Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before you all lay into me about the downsides of all season rubber, I would still like to know if anyone has any recommendations for AS tires that work well for the Spider. I live in upper East Tennessee where there is not a lot of snow, but the temperature dips down below freezing quite often in the winter. I really don't feel like changing from summer to winter tires and back again every year, plus I don't have a lot of room to store tires when they're not being used. When you buy a car that comes with heated seats and heated mirrors, one would expect you should be able to drive it in all temperatures with the stock tires. I do not regularly drive this car aggressively (only when the wife's not in the passenger seat), but enjoy a spirited romp through the mountains and want to feel safe regardless of the temperature.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Continental DWS.

Reactions: mbwalters

·
Registered
143 Posts
I am using Michelin Premier A/S on my Abarth with stage 1 tune (197 HP).

I am using the car as a daily driver/commuter in the Seattle area and optimized the tire choice for wet/cold weather handling.

I've had the michelins on for over a month and drove through a ton of heavy rain on the highway - temps so far not below 40 degrees though.

Am really happy with the choice - they are handling the conditions really well - no hint of hydroplaning or loss of traction on the wet at all.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Premier+A/S

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I use the Continental True Contact all-season touring tire on another small car. Smoother and quieter than the Michelin Defenders I previously used, but they aren't performance tires as compared to the stock Spider tires. For more normal (not performance) driving, they provide very good handling on hot/cold, dry, wet, and snowy Minnesota roads.

It is not available in the Classica tire size (my Fiat), but for the Lusso/Abarth stock 205-45/17, this tire comes as close as 215-45/17. So, if you don't mind a 1cm taller tire (which may help give those cars a slightly smoother ride via the slightly taller tire), the True Contact, or another "touring tire" would be a tire I would consider. Good ratings at Tire Rack, etc. I'll likely look for this type of tire when my stock tires reach replacement time.

http://www.continentaltire.com/product/truecontact-18565r15-88t

Steve.

Reactions: Rickh123456

·
Registered
28 Posts
Before you all lay into me about the downsides of all season rubber, I would still like to know if anyone has any recommendations for AS tires that work well for the Spider. I live in upper East Tennessee where there is not a lot of snow, but the temperature dips down below freezing quite often in the winter. I really don't feel like changing from summer to winter tires and back again every year, plus I don't have a lot of room to store tires when they're not being used. When you buy a car that comes with heated seats and heated mirrors, one would expect you should be able to drive it in all temperatures with the stock tires. I do not regularly drive this car aggressively (only when the wife's not in the passenger seat), but enjoy a spirited romp through the mountains and want to feel safe regardless of the temperature.
this post is old, and I was wondering what tire you chose, and whether or not you were happy with your purchase.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I had 2 rear Michelin Pilot Sport 3+ AS 17” tires; now I have a set of 4 General G-MAX AS 16” tires. It rains a lot here; the Generals lose grip a little sooner on wet surfaces. But I like both. The best part, the Generals cost one-third less than the Michelins.

FYI - General is part of Continental Tire.

1592157657143.jpeg

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
If you are going to be dealing with cold and /or light snow, I’d recommend Vredstein Quatrac 5s. I run them as my winter tires when temps start getting too low for summers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts