Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First and foremost I had to peel back some layers to see how she's built. Very nicely I may add but I question the roll bar welds. I'm sure they are structurally sound but they are not very pretty. No need to test them though.

Nobody understood why I would want to take apart a brand new car, especially my lovely bride, but here is the deal. I have a Pixel phone that charges very fast. This is a fast car so it should have a fast charger and that charger should be always on! "Always on" means that the port is active even when the car is off. The USB C spec allows for charging currents in the 2 Amp range. Clocked my charger delivering 1.5A, more than 3 times the normal USB port which is limited to 0.5A at best.

This is the USB C charger that I selected, when powered it takes about 3 mA (9 mA if I hadn't cut the LED power indicator.) Wagan Tech, two port cigarette lighter adapter.

As a reference the car consumes about 22 A with the engine not running and all lights on. When initially shutting down there is about 2 to 4 A draw during its whiny phase. In complete shut down I was seeing about 100 mA. Adding only 3 more mA or 3%, is not a problem.

If I wasn't concerned about "always on" I could have just inserted the USB adapter into the cigarette lighter adapter and strung the wires. It has to be always on though and I did not want to mess with the power going to the "inflate tires from here" port.

I found an always on 12V signal on the connector going to the Airbag indicator, see picture. Wired the charger, added two cables (one USB C cable and one USB extension cable) and tucked it into the spacious cavern. Worst case the charger is delivering 2 A at 5V, so that is less than 1 A at 12V which means that the wire doesn't need to be overly hefty. I drove for a while with the console open and occasionally felt the adapter which did get warm at times but never overly hot.

I keep the output wires emerging from between the console plastic and carpet, one poking into the drivers well with a USB C connector and the USB extension cable poking into the passengers well. Technically the car now has four USB ports, two always on.

I wanted to explore he car so I removed more panels than necessary, just the console needs to be removed. Beauty is more than skin deep for sure!

For some reason I can't post pics but here they are:

https://goo.gl/photos/d3SF7PAyYK26iDns7

·
Registered
289 Posts
Quite a project! Great info and at some point would love details on removing the various panels.

·
Super Moderator
1,250 Posts
Nice work!

Thanks for this information.
Little details like this are valuable.
Best regards
Pete

1 - 4 of 4 Posts