Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

Am I the only Classica fan?

4K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  John 124 UK 
#1 ·
What I like about the return of the 124 Spider, is the possibility of experiencing an old school Italian roadster. It's for this reason, that I prefer as stripped down a model as available. Modern technology is great, but it's the ability to have the quality without the refinements, that attracts me. Even the Classica may not be stripped down enough!

:)

#9 ·
That feeling when you put the top down is the same. I can't put this into words, but believe it or not, I have had the car for about two weeks and just put down the top for the first time today. As soon as I did that, it was like I was having flashbacks to 1973 riding in the car with my dad.
I feel it's safe to say, mission accomplished.

:)

#6 ·
I'm a fan! Though I'd ideally like an Abarth, a Classica is my second choice and it would be nice to save some money. Love the stripped down version, no options. I'd probably build that car into a little rocket.

#14 ·
yes. the Fiat Radio 3.0 supports bluetooth

Option 1: (best with most details)
You can download the Radio guide here:
http://www.fiatusa.com/en/owners/manuals/index.html

This entire guide is for the 3.0 radio which the the standard offering in the classica.
(unknown why there is not a separate guide for the 7.0 radio. perhaps it is in the owners manual)

Option 2:
You can download the Users guide here: (owners manual also helpful, but the users guide has the radio details)
http://www.fiatusa.com/en/owners/manuals/index.html

starting on page 212 is the detail on the 3.0 radio which the the standard offering in the classic.
If you get the tech package, you get the 7.0 radio which is described in a bit of detail starting on page 216

#15 · (Edited)
I too wanted the Classica as I don't care for the tan leather and all of the electronic extras. I do like the Technology package though, especially for the Backup camera and improved radio with the headrest speakers. They say the car also rides better because of the tires on the 16" wheels. I got the white color with the intent to add the red Mopar stripes someday.

Goodwin Racing - you've got yours shining!! What wax did you use?

#16 ·
I'm with you. To me it's all or nothing. I'll probably take the all route, though I can't see the need for a nav system or headlamp washers even on an Abarth.

I remember having to get leather seats on a Miata in order to get ABS. Of course now cars can't be bought without ABS, stability control, 4+ airbags, and every emission control imaginable.

#18 ·
Classica vs Lusso: less is more. I think it's a very personal choice, with good arguments for both.

I chose Classica, but not for budget reasons - I want as close as poss to a great-looking 60s sport car as I can get, with the modern additions of reliability and weatherproofing. An updated MGB if you like.

Engineering wise (for me): simple = better. The less modern tech, the fewer the gremlins in 10 years time. I'd love to ditch the push start and have a simple flat metal key.

Maybe one thing to consider in Classic vs Lusso - how long do you intend to keep it?

I am intending to keep mine indefinitely as I suspect the (new) 124 will still be a looker in 5-10-20 years, and high volume production numbers suggests long-term parts availability, especially since some parts are MX-5 shared. Think MGB again - simple, affordable, popular, supported, and still visible on the roads. I want mine to be a future classic, so the satnav/tablet was a no-no (nothing gives car age away like the satnav - look in any 10 or even 5-year-old car).

Ditto leather - modern leathers (I think they have plastic coatings?) tend to look a bit ropey & creased after a few years, especially the bolsters, and I think cloth feels so much nicer - warm in winter, cool in summer - the opposite of leather. **

Wheels - hmm - well - the bigger ones DO look the part, but the smaller Classica ones give me so much more tyre cushioning.

Just one more thing - I prefer the painted windscreen surround (Classica) to the chrome one (Lusso). I guess that's a personal thing again - in the 60s Bridget Bardot could have slapped on earrings & other bling, but, being already beautiful - she didn't need them - less is more!

** I've never quite been able to see how leather became synonymous with luxury. To this day the Royal Family have the leather removed from the rear of their cars and replaced with cloth - the current State Bentley is an example. The reasoning (comfort aside) is that leather was originally reserved for the chauffeur who sat up front in the rain - those in the covered rear didn't require their seats to be weatherproof. (Okay, history lesson over).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.