Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Administrator
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AutoGuide approved a vendor IO for me for the advertising of AMSOIL products a few months ago, so I wanted to list some of the products AMSOIL has for this car. If anyone is interested in any of the below products, please shoot me a PM and I'll get you a quote (AMSOIL marketing policy prohibits me from posting prices publicly). I'll work on getting the specs for ATF and gear oil for the differentials so I can get those added to the list, but I don't have a recommendation for those just yet.

Engine Oil:
AMSOIL 5W-40 European Formula Classic ESP - Meets the performance requirements of MS-12991 and is backed by AMSOIL's warranty guarantee for this engine. If the lubricant fails or is found to be defective, AMSOIL will cover any repairs required. I'm currently using this in my engine and will get trending oil analysis done periodically. This oil has an exceptionally low volatility. For convenience, AMSOIL also resells the WIX 57341 filter for this engine.
Tutorial for Engine Oil & Filter Change: http://www.124spider.org/forum/361-2017-124-spider-how-diy/14185-how-change-engine-oil-filter.html

Manual Transmission Fluid:
AMSOIL 75W-90 GL-4 Manual Transmission Fluid - Meets the viscosity and GL rating requirement of this transmission from the NC Miata. I as well as a few others are using this fluid and have found that the synchros engage more quickly and smoothly. For convenience, I recommend also grabbing the AMSOIL Bottle Hand Pump.
Tutorial for MTF change: http://www.124spider.org/forum/361-2017-124-spider-how-diy/17489-how-change-manual-transmission-fluid.html

Brake/Clutch Fluid:
AMSOIL DOT3 and DOT4 Synthetic Brake Fluid
AMSOIL DOMINATOR DOT4 Syntheti Racing Brake Fluid

Additives:
Every 4,000-5,000 miles, I recommend the use of a PEA based top end cleaner to keep injectors, valves, pistons, and combustion chambers clean. AMSOIL makes one called AMSOIL Performance Improver. I haven't had a chance to use it in the 124 Spider yet, but I did get a before and after video using a borescope of what my pistons in another car looked like, and the results were noticeable.

Oil Analysis:
Not really an AMSOIL product but sold through the AMSOIL site, the Oil Analyzers Inc analysis kits are a private label for Polaris Labs oil analysis. For the price, they provide a better and more accurate analysis than Blackstone Labs, providing oxidation and nitration measurements, and measuring fuel dilution using gas chromatography instead of poorly estimating it using flash point like Blackstone does. I'll be happy to interpret any oil analysis reports.

Wholesale Pricing:
Lastly, if anyone is looking at a combination of products and wants to save a few bucks, there's a Preferred Customer Account that gets you 25% off for a nominal 6-month or annual fee, sort of like a Costco account.

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
Cool! PM Sent

Aloha

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
PURCHASED... Mahalo sir!

·
Registered
251 Posts
I can't find anything that states that AMSOIL 5W-40 European Formula Classic ESP meets the MS-12991 spec. Do you have a link?

·
Administrator
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I can't find anything that states that AMSOIL 5W-40 European Formula Classic ESP meets the MS-12991 spec. Do you have a link?
It was based on a conversation I had with AMSOIL's technical team a few times. Note my wording: it meets the performance requirements of the MS-12991 spec.

All the research I've done on the MS-12991 spec has concluded that it places pointless regulatory requirements (such as reduced sulfur levels) on engine oils to meet state-specific regulations in the US. It took me a while to dig into this, but I learned that a miniscule increase in sulfur levels for performance-related additives is the reason AMSOIL's oil doesn't advertise the MS-12991 spec directly but is recommended by AMSOIL for this engine and is backed with their warranty.

Communicating with a media relations manager from FCA regarding this topic, he confirmed that MS-12991 does in fact place regulatory requirements on sulfur content. Sulfur is used in additives like ZDDP (an anti-wear additive) as well as calcium sulfonate, a detergent used to neutralize acidity.

I chose to use an oil that isn't burdened by those regulations to get the best protection I could out of my engine oil, and I have no reservations making that recommendation to others. We can chat more about this in another thread if you'd like.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
It was based on a conversation I had with AMSOIL's technical team a few times. Note my wording: it meets the performance requirements of the MS-12991 spec.

All the research I've done on the MS-12991 spec has concluded that it places pointless regulatory requirements (such as reduced sulfur levels) on engine oils to meet state-specific regulations in the US. It took me a while to dig into this, but I learned that a miniscule increase in sulfur levels for performance-related additives is the reason AMSOIL's oil doesn't advertise the MS-12991 spec directly but is recommended by AMSOIL for this engine and is backed with their warranty.

Communicating with a media relations manager from FCA regarding this topic, he confirmed that MS-12991 does in fact place regulatory requirements on sulfur content. Sulfur is used in additives like ZDDP (an anti-wear additive) as well as calcium sulfonate, a detergent used to neutralize acidity.

I chose to use an oil that isn't burdened by those regulations to get the best protection I could out of my engine oil, and i have no reservations making that recommendation to others. We can chat more about this in another thread if you'd like.
Sounds reasonable to me. The price looks good in comparison to other brands, too. I am considering AMSOIL for my Mopars. What does AMSOIL offer for the Hellcat? What about the Apache 392? Maybe we could chat in a private message.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I thought this was discussed, but perhaps not: anything for the differential? Oil grade, etc. ?

·
Administrator
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought this was discussed, but perhaps not: anything for the differential? Oil grade, etc. ?
I think the non-Abarth uses a simple GL-5 75W-90 gear oil. I see no reason why it would need anything different since it doesn't have any LSD clutches to worry about.

There are a few options I have not yet validated.

Option 1: Mazda is using a GL-5 75W-90 gear oil in the non-LSD, and is adding an additive to that gear oil in the LSD
Option 2: Mazda is using a GL-5 75W-90 gear oil in the non-LSD, and has a specially formulated gear oil for the LSD; no additive is added, it's already in the oil.
Option 3: Mazda is using one gear oil for both the non-LSD and the LSD differentials, with the specially formulated gear oil.

I have not verified which of these is the case as I haven't had time. I am 95% confident that a 75W-90 GL-5 gear oil will be more than adequate in the rear end of the non-LSD differential, but I don't want to make a definitive recommendation till I'm 100% sure.

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
GoT it!!! Mahalo.

Stickers and magnet too. Ha! !! !!!!

Idk if I'll get to it this weekend. But I got everything I need to do a fluid change. Oh yeah!!!

This change I will do it the old fashion way. But future oil changes..I'll invest in the oil extraction vacuum to do it from the top side.

Again Mahalo!!

·
Administrator
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wanted to briefly share a bit more about what I do as a dealer.

My title at AMSOIL is Master Direct Jobber. That basically means I'm a high volume dealer with a great deal of experience in the business and in the industry. I'm currently working on obtaining my STLE CLS certification. As some may know, AMSOIL is a bit of a hybrid direct distributor/network marketing type business, where a dealer network exists for the purpose of training and mentorship/sponsorship, while direct sales produce direct profit and retail/commercial accounts function much like any other commission based company would.

I just got back from the 45th annual AMSOIL convention in Duluth, MN (no, unfortunately didn't drive the 124 Spider), and I met a great number of people that built for themselves a great living out of this business through individual customers, retail stores, and commercial businesses to supplement their primary income, eventually being a dealer/distributor full time, or to supplement their retirement income. If anyone wants more details on that, let me know. I won't spam up links here, as I'd be more interested in talking about what I do and if it would be a good fit for someone than to just say "hey, sign up here and become a dealer."

Lastly, I'm always on the look out for more business. While I do sell to individuals, I also work with retail stores and commercial businesses. If you own a business or know of someone that would be interested in hearing how I can save them some money or add a premium product to their lineup, I'd be glad to talk to them. We have products specifically designed to reduce maintenance costs, improve asset utilization, improve efficiency, and protect equipment, for businesses that include tree trimming, landscaping, road paving, long haul trucking, farming, fleet service (private delivery in addition to public utility such as police/fire/buses), construction, contractors, heavy duty off-road, etc. I also provide oil analysis services to track asset reliability and have a experience in that field.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I just compared your pricing to Really good deal I though I was getting and your deal is much better . Ill be ordering all my oils from you moving forward ? wish I saw this info a month ago ?

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I just made my first purchase through @XtremeRevolution. I got oil for my Spider, my Hemis, and my dad's 1970 Nova. Once I saw the prices, it became a "why wouldn't I?" moment. Thanks, Andrei!

·
Administrator
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Spring is coming, and with it, your general maintenance on everything you put away for winter. I'll be doing my annual oil change as well and firing up all of the lawn equipment not long after. Some of you may not know, but AMSOIL has a pretty heavy focus in the small engine world as well. For the 124 Spider, we have the 5W-40 Euro Spec engine oil (which is priced very well by the case of 12), our Synchromesh MTF (which shifts quite well in this transmission), and our 75W-90 Severe Gear diff fluid (which is the easiest to change out of any options)

However, we also have 2-stroke and 4-stroke small engine oils for lawn, off-road, and marine engines. With a convenient one-stop shop, you can get lubricants and additives for everything you need to be ready for spring. Shoot me a PM if you're interested and I can put together a package deal.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Andrei made me a convert. I never thought I'd be an Amsoil customer, but the preferred customer pricing is so good that I found it to be a "why wouldn't I" moment.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Spring is coming, and with it, your general maintenance on everything you put away for winter. I'll be doing my annual oil change as well and firing up all of the lawn equipment not long after. Some of you may not know, but AMSOIL has a pretty heavy focus in the small engine world as well. For the 124 Spider, we have the 5W-40 Euro Spec engine oil (which is priced very well by the case of 12), our Synchromesh MTF (which shifts quite well in this transmission), and our 75W-90 Severe Gear diff fluid (which is the easiest to change out of any options)

However, we also have 2-stroke and 4-stroke small engine oils for lawn, off-road, and marine engines. With a convenient one-stop shop, you can get lubricants and additives for everything you need to be ready for spring. Shoot me a PM if you're interested and I can put together a package deal.
I changed transmission and gear oil last August (about 4500 miles ago). What's the recommendation on how often to change? I have 5 track days since then and I'm about to go to a track day every two weeks soon.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I changed transmission and gear oil last August (about 4500 miles ago). What's the recommendation on how often to change? I have 5 track days since then and I'm about to go to a track day every two weeks soon.
In the LX world, folks generally change their fluids after every race.

·
Administrator
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
It's hard to say when it comes to racing applications, especially when modified, since every car is different. I would change it once every year if you're planning on doing a track day every 2 weeks.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts