Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, with 3050 miles on the Abarth was going to get pizza and noticed the CEL light on.
Trying to update my Bosch scan tool but Windows 10 is not recognizing the com port that it wants to use (why in the **** do they still use com ports in todays day and age!).
Looks like a trip to the dealer is in my future for tomorrow.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Any mods?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And just confirmed... P0128 error (think it was) which is the stinking thermostat issue.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Pure stock. And only use 93 octane fuel. It's the thermostat.
Well, although its an inconvenience, glad to hear its a fairly benign issue. Biggest problem will probably be waiting for the dealership to get the part in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm on the waiting list for a thermostat too. Question, has anyone who had this issue before and had it resolved by the dealer, have this issue a second time? I'm just wondering if they repaired the faulty part with a new production run or if they are going to install the same part from a batch that was used in the manufacturing of this car.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I'm on the waiting list for a thermostat too. Question, has anyone who had this issue before and had it resolved by the dealer, have this issue a second time? I'm just wondering if they repaired the faulty part with a new production run or if they are going to install the same part from a batch that was used in the manufacturing of this car.
Excellent point. Sounds like the trouble is a thermostat that is not closing when cooling due to tolerance issues, binding problems, insufficient clearance between moving parts. If newly manufactured units are using original specs, then the problem has not been resolved. If they are installing the same thermostat from the same supplier using existing inventory we are back to square one.

Makes me wonder if anyone is actually analyzing the problem with the component, rather than just replacing it and hoping for the best.

·
Registered
560 Posts
The replacement part can evidently be easily distinguished from the original part visually so it is, at least in theory, an altered design. That said, my CEL went on again today. I dropped by the dealer (they will look at it weds) but they did verify that the code that required the flash last week was the thermostat code. And I've had the replacement part since September. So...here we go again.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The replacement part can evidently be easily distinguished from the original part visually so it is, at least in theory, an altered design. That said, my CEL went on again today. I dropped by the dealer (they will look at it weds) but they did verify that the code that required the flash last week was the thermostat code. And I've had the replacement part since September. So...here we go again.
Me too...here we go again...the software patch fix lasted 2 months and 1500 miles. Guess it's my turn for a thermostat replacement. Hope this nails it. And hope they've identified the issue and are installing newly-designed thermostats...if not, then as others have said...we're back to square one.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Me too...here we go again...the software patch fix lasted 2 months and 1500 miles. Guess it's my turn for a thermostat replacement. Hope this nails it. And hope they've identified the issue and are installing newly-designed thermostats...if not, then as others have said...we're back to square one.
Supposedly the one they put in my car last September was a redesigned replacement. At this point, the CEL goes off every 2-3 weeks. I just reset it go my merry way. At some point, when I have some down time, I'll take the car back in and have the tech replace it again. He said the only option at this point is to replace it again.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Supposedly the one they put in my car last September was a redesigned replacement. At this point, the CEL goes off every 2-3 weeks. I just reset it go my merry way. At some point, when I have some down time, I'll take the car back in and have the tech replace it again. He said the only option at this point is to replace it again.
Yeah...kind of disappointing that FCA seems to be unable to find either a definitive answer or a reliable fix for the issue. And as I expected, the repair process is taking a while. One day to get the part, and today, the second day, I got a call from the service adviser that the car will not be ready today, owing to the difficulty in getting to, and replacing the thermostat. I recall someone on the forum here commenting that they saw the tech lying on the engine, trying to reach the thermostat, which is apparently in tight quarters up against the firewall.

Oh well...guess I'll invest in an OBD reader so I can reset the CEL if I need to again. Still disappointing.

·
Registered
165 Posts
How long does it take for your temp gauge to show full operating temperature? I wonder if the problem is other than the thermostat itself?

I was lucky - my original thermostat was definitely stuck open. Warmup times were quite long.

I hope the next one you get solves it.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Good luck with that. Having worked at a couple of dealerships as a tech and service manager, I highly doubt that any parts manager would take the time to open boxes to ensure proper parts quality or new design....."Sorry it didn't fix the problem...that's what they sent us..." I also doubt the average tech would bother to compare old and new part..."Hey, they asked me to install this part, and that's what I did..."

What goes on at dealers would boggle your mind....don't get me started!!!

·
Registered
291 Posts
New thermostat installed...fingers crossed...we'll see. Service advisor could not say whether or not this was a redesigned part, but it was ordered and took a day to show up, so nothing to prove if design update or not.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I wonder if the thermostat issue is just the result of a bad batch of parts or if it is an existing component from some other vehicle that's been attached to the 124 and it just doesn't jive with the Fiat's overall system. If the latter is the case, it doesn't seem like there's much to be gained by replacing an ultimately incompatible thermostat for the same incompatible thermostat. If that is the case, what's to be done?

I'm having the same issue now with my CEL/thermostat. I have an appointment to have it replaced next week. Trouble for me is that my nearest dealer is 3 hours away. I'm happy to make the trip once to rectify the problem and move on, but it doesn't seem from what I've been reading on this forum that this scenario is something to count on. I'm concerned that this may become a semi-regular affair with the Fiat service personnel putting little proactivity into coming up with an actual solution.

What solutions might there be to this situation? What are the dangers of continuing to operate the 124 with this issue coming and going on a semi-regular basis? What do you think one should ultimately be watching out for to guard against serious system damage?

·
Super Moderator
948 Posts
I'm in the queue for a thermostat now

SNIP!
."Hey, they asked me to install this part, and that's what I did..."

What goes on at dealers would boggle your mind....don't get me started!!!
I went in today to have the 0128 CEL inspected and sure enough - I need a new thermostat. It's on order - sheesh. What baloney. I had a conversation about purging defective stock, lot date codes, all the usual stuff that a service organization ought to know. I want to be sure I get a newer one - not an old defective one. You'd think I was speaking Esperanto! These people are 24kt nitwits.
best regards
Pete

·
Registered
560 Posts
Silly question but is there a substitute? I cannot seeing replacing it with one that has known failures.
When mine was replaced last September, the tech said the part looked different - that it was obviously not the exact same one that was being replaced. I'm assuming all the replacement thermostats are also alternates. But - a year down the road, the replacement one does throw a code about once every few weeks. I clear it and keep driving. At some point, when I have time, I'll take it in to have it replaced again but its my daily driver so I'm in no rush.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Manufacturers often get parts from multiple sources/contracts so it would be interesting to know the exact one that is failing. Nevertheless, a well made replacement from Stant, Mr. Gasket, etc. for example, if available for our car, may be the best option.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts