Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After a couple of days usage I have a few issues to post.

First let me say thanks to all the pioneers who have made this possible.

There are a few issues though and maybe it is just glitches in the Mazda f/w as I don't think the core code of that has been modified but merely subfiles called by the core have been changed to make it FIAT again.

First, I am experiencing restarts and reboots with a black screen but the audio still plays and Waze still gives audible directions. I'm still seeing if a new USB C cable will fix this but I did notice one time that Android Auto had stopped or was suffering from a memory bleed on my phone.

Second, the two buttons to control either Waze or the audio player app are not functional at all. See the attached photos.

20190515_072747_1557931015070.jpg

20190515_072644_1557931078640.jpg

Also, when exiting to the FIAT menu I see this.

20190515_074340_1557931556914.jpg

Lastly, Android Auto will not recognize SiriusXM as a player via voice commands . It will play TuneIn Radio and switch inputs even using voice commands. For SiriusXM it tells me I need to install Google Music on my device (phone).

·
Registered
534 Posts
Strange issues for sure. I’ve never had those problems so I don’t know if it is the Mazda firmware or just because AA tends to be finicky. Overall my AA has been working fine for a long time.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Strange issues for sure. I’ve never had those problems so I don’t know if it is the Mazda firmware or just because AA tends to be finicky. Overall my AA has been working fine for a long time.
What f/w version are you using? I'm on 70.00.100a

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Wonder if the black screen is one of the issues the new firmware Mazda released is designed to address (don’t install that firmware - it causes other problems).

As for it still saying Mazda, that’s not surprising - I don’t think anyone looked at AA. I only looked at CarPlay as I don’t have any Android devices right now.

Reactions: Sammy124 and Mike34

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wonder if the black screen is one of the issues the new firmware Mazda released is designed to address (don’t install that firmware - it causes other problems).

As for it still saying Mazda, that’s not surprising - I don’t think anyone looked at AA. I only looked at CarPlay as I don’t have any Android devices right now.
I think so and no I won't!

Hopefully soon a fix rolls for these issues.

I did manage to drive all the way home for an hour and a half with no issues with black screens today

·
Registered
275 Posts

I did manage to drive all the way home for an hour and a half with no issues with black screens today
Android Auto's always been finicky for me, but I also don't have the upgraded CMU, just the AIO AA package. I think it also depends on if the app's been updated recently, because sometimes it'll be good for me until an update comes out, then it's messed up until another update.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Android Auto's always been finicky for me, but I also don't have the upgraded CMU, just the AIO AA package. I think it also depends on if the app's been updated recently, because sometimes it'll be good for me until an update comes out, then it's messed up until another update.
You're running Android Auto without updating the f/w on the CMU? ?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@68wooley

If there's something you see in there to change that exit graphic let me know. I wouldn't even know where to start!

It is my understanding that the .335 f/w is to fix the issue with the black screen.

BTW, Should I search or post somewhere on the Mazda forum?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I've determined that the black screen is occurring when I loose service. There are at least two places along my 70 mile commute where I either loose signal or I'm roaming and this is where Android Auto goes all wonky on me.

·
Registered
275 Posts
You're running Android Auto without updating the f/w on the CMU? ?
Yea, I'm still on F/W 56. I've got the setup how I like it and didn't wanna go through the hassle of installing a new CMU and stuff. Although, I wonder if I could just get the upgraded USB ports without doing the CMU...

Reactions: Sammy124

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea, I'm still on F/W 56. I've got the setup how I like it and didn't wanna go through the hassle of installing a new CMU and stuff. Although, I wonder if I could just get the upgraded USB ports without doing the CMU...
So when you say you're using Android Auto, you're only using it on your phone then?

You will loose all your audio presets / favorites and all Bluetooth pairing if you upgrade, BTW.

You don't have to install a new CMU, just flash the f/w. What you do need to install is an upgraded USB Hub that is compatible with the f/w and connects to the phone. If you upgrade the USB Hub without doing the f/w upgrade first you gain nothing and loose a few hours of your time and about $150 out of your wallet.

·
Registered
534 Posts
The hardware upgrade is for car play. AA works fine on existing hardware. Albeit lower voltage, the USB port does actually slowly charge my phone while using AA. I've avoided any and all upgrades to my car since I bought it in February 2017 because it works fine. No dealer visits in two years so they don't screw it up.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The hardware upgrade is for car play. AA works fine on existing hardware. Albeit lower voltage, the USB port does actually slowly charge my phone while using AA. I've avoided any and all upgrades to my car since I bought it in February 2017 because it works fine. No dealer visits in two years so they don't screw it up.
Interesting.. I never was aware of this. At any rate my wife is an iPhone user so it's good for her when she uses the 124.

My phone would never charge properly using the factory USB Hub so I had a Qi charger in the cigarette lighter under the passenger side dash. With this new Hub, that issue is remedied so at least there's a very expensive charger installed in my car.

I only had the Car Play and Android Auto apps show up at the far left of the menu after completing the f/w upgrade and installing the upgraded Hub.

Does Android Auto show up under Apps for you? How are you getting the Android Auto screen to be visible on your CMU?

·
Registered
534 Posts
The official support from Mazda is through all the changes.

But AA has always worked. The Mazda entertainment system is really just a Linux computer running custom software on top. There are many hacks to do whatever you want. I just loaded AA directly from this site back in 2017 and update with any new versions that come out. All for free.

https://mazdatweaks.com/androidauto/

The charging for the iPhone from a USB is a very real issue. I use fast charge in the aux port under the passenger dash if I need that, but I am actually able to charge while using USB for AA. I suspect even then that is a phone to phone problem.

I'm using the Essential Phone with stock Android 9. Not sure if that matters. I found everything works on stock Android quite well.

·
Registered
275 Posts
So when you say you're using Android Auto, you're only using it on your phone then?

You will loose all your audio presets / favorites and all Bluetooth pairing if you upgrade, BTW.

You don't have to install a new CMU, just flash the f/w. What you do need to install is an upgraded USB Hub that is compatible with the f/w and connects to the phone. If you upgrade the USB Hub without doing the f/w upgrade first you gain nothing and loose a few hours of your time and about $150 out of your wallet.
I plug in my phone to the USB and Android Auto starts on the display automatically. As far as charging, it's mostly a break even type deal to a slight charge (like maybe 2-5% on a 30 minute drive). It's not ideal, but it works, so I won't mess with it too much lol.

Reactions: Sammy124

·
Registered
534 Posts
I never got back to you with an answer. I am still on good old V56. I haven't done a single firmware update since I bought the car which is probably why everything works.

I'm guessing you are using the factory version of Android Auto since you are at V70?

I'm using the AIO AA v1.10+ which works very well for me. Even when I don't have reception everything works fine. I'm out of reception quite often on mountain roads.

The only thing I'm still struggling with is using wireless with AA instead of plugging into USB. I can get my paired as a hotspot but I can't quite get AA to fully start.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I never got back to you with an answer. I am still on good old V56. I haven't done a single firmware update since I bought the car which is probably why everything works.

I'm guessing you are using the factory version of Android Auto since you are at V70?

I'm using the AIO AA v1.10+ which works very well for me. Even when I don't have reception everything works fine. I'm out of reception quite often on mountain roads.

The only thing I'm still struggling with is using wireless with AA instead of plugging into USB. I can get my paired as a hotspot but I can't quite get AA to fully start.
Thanks for the response even though it was delayed as it still has value..

I'll verify what version I'm running and report back.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I can't get any audio (maps, waze, etc.), video works fine.

I've tried two different phones with the same issue. Could this be a hardware problem?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts