Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
I can't get any audio (maps, waze, etc.), video works fine.

I've tried two different phones with the same issue. Could this be a hardware problem?
I am a morning person. So I figured the issue was that I installed the AA/CP solution from this forum and also installed the AIO which doesn't need the hardware to test. It was creating a conflict. Removed the AIO from Mazdatweaks and all is fine now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yea, I'm still on F/W 56. I've got the setup how I like it and didn't wanna go through the hassle of installing a new CMU and stuff. Although, I wonder if I could just get the upgraded USB ports without doing the CMU...
Is this still working for you? I'm on F/W 56 trying to get it working but it's like my phone won't stay connected & I just get allow connection prompts on my phone constantly.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I am also on V56.00.530NA and refused to upgrade unless necessary. I'm in IT and I generally won't upgrade until an old firmware is broken by new software, yes, I'm looking at you iOS.

My point is that if it's not broken why fix it?

I never got back to you with an answer. I am still on good old V56. I haven't done a single firmware update since I bought the car which is probably why everything works.

I'm guessing you are using the factory version of Android Auto since you are at V70?

I'm using the AIO AA v1.10+ which works very well for me. Even when I don't have reception everything works fine. I'm out of reception quite often on mountain roads.

The only thing I'm still struggling with is using wireless with AA instead of plugging into USB. I can get my paired as a hotspot but I can't quite get AA to fully start.
I haven't tried the wireless but finally - and thank you for putting me on the right track - I got AA working via USB which I don't mind. The phone can just stay in the little cubby under the climate controls, plugged in with its little 10" long cable.

Is this still working for you? I'm on F/W 56 trying to get it working but it's like my phone won't stay connected & I just get allow connection prompts on my phone constantly.
Mine did that at first but I realized my cable was bad and swapped it out with a new cable.

How I did it.

I had the regular tweaks installed since the first year I had the car, in fact it was still within it's 10 day trial period (lol I wish...) - I didn't remove any tweaks or anything. I just got the latest version of Mazda-AIO-TI (2.6.8) installed the recovery options as recommended and then only installed the AA with no extra options though I didn't check the compass and might have to reverse it if I notice it's backwards.

I still have the Abarth splash screen, video player and speedo from the original AIO tweaks, which is all I wanted then. Waze and Spotify is pretty much the only things I use my cell phone for while driving with the occasional incoming call which I may, or may not answer depending on caller ID. ;)

·
Registered
309 Posts
I ended up upgrading to the official AA/CP since even changing cables wasn't working all that great. Now it's pretty solid, although i'll get the occasional disconnect if i hit a large pothole or dip.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am also on V56.00.530NA and refused to upgrade unless necessary. I'm in IT and I generally won't upgrade until an old firmware is broken by new software, yes, I'm looking at you iOS.

My point is that if it's not broken why fix it?

I haven't tried the wireless but finally - and thank you for putting me on the right track - I got AA working via USB which I don't mind. The phone can just stay in the little cubby under the climate controls, plugged in with its little 10" long cable.

Mine did that at first but I realized my cable was bad and swapped it out with a new cable.

How I did it.

I had the regular tweaks installed since the first year I had the car, in fact it was still within it's 10 day trial period (lol I wish...) - I didn't remove any tweaks or anything. I just got the latest version of Mazda-AIO-TI (2.6.8) installed the recovery options as recommended and then only installed the AA with no extra options though I didn't check the compass and might have to reverse it if I notice it's backwards.

I still have the Abarth splash screen, video player and speedo from the original AIO tweaks, which is all I wanted then. Waze and Spotify is pretty much the only things I use my cell phone for while driving with the occasional incoming call which I may, or may not answer depending on caller ID. ;)
This was super helpful I ended up getting a USB cleaning kit to clean my ports & a new USB cable made specifically for data transfer & now my andriod auto works, thanks!

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I have noticed that with time my USB -C phone connection doesn't charge as it should be, plus use to have message humidity and ect. So Once in a one I shut the phone off and clean the USB-C with a water-PIC yes the one you use to clean your teeth,( especially those that have implemts) then blow air into it and after itt's dried phone charges like a charm. You don't notice it, but lots of sh it get into it, Maybe regular USB are bigger connections, but still get dirty.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have noticed that with time my USB -C phone connection doesn't charge as it should be, plus use to have message humidity and ect. So Once in a one I shut the phone off and clean the USB-C with a water-PIC yes the one you use to clean your teeth,( especially those that have implemts) then blow air into it and after itt's dried phone charges like a charm. You don't notice it, but lots of sh it get into it, Maybe regular USB are bigger connections, but still get dirty.
Yeah that's a no for me I'm not shooting water into my $1,000 phone. You are basically pressure washing the port lol. Here's a usb cleaning kit that will be a much safer way to clean usb ports.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I noticed yesterday that I can either play Spotify or use Waze on AA but not both. If I try using both Spotify gets really choppy as soon as the car moves and Waze updates the screen. It's fine when the car is stopped.
I wonder if it's a buffer issue or a USB bandwidth issue. I'm going to try and get the Wi-Fi AA working to see if it makes any difference. Also today I'm supposed to receive upgraded USB-C cables so they might help - I'm currently using a USB-C cable that I know works but I'm not sure it's made for data transfer.

Also I think I will need to reverse the compass because every time I turn a corner the arrow on the screen turns backwards for a few seconds and the map pivots 180° back and forth before stabilizing.

About the USB-C port on your phones: The USB-C design is waterproof - would I water-pik water into it? No. But I spray it down with rubbing alcohol regularly without any issues.

·
Registered
2017 124 Classica
79 Posts
The hardware upgrade is for car play. AA works fine on existing hardware. Albeit lower voltage, the USB port does actually slowly charge my phone while using AA. I've avoided any and all upgrades to my car since I bought it in February 2017 because it works fine. No dealer visits in two years so they don't screw it up.
So I have found lots of DIY / FAQ posts around this forum and a few other websites, that all give different versions of the "how to do AA and tweaks" story. My "new" 124 is arriving next week, and I'm presuming the previous owner didn't do the upgrade. I made sure to get the 7" display so that I could do this upgrade - hopefully I won't run into issues, but of course anything is possible ashe could've also had fw upgraded (but no programming shows on Carfax).. Will find out when I have the car in my hands.

My question then - What is the most current info/FAQ on doing the upgrade? Seems some have old outdated info, like needing the upgraded hardware for AA versus Carplay.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I noticed yesterday that I can either play Spotify or use Waze on AA but not both. If I try using both Spotify gets really choppy as soon as the car moves and Waze updates the screen. It's fine when the car is stopped.
I wonder if it's a buffer issue or a USB bandwidth issue. I'm going to try and get the Wi-Fi AA working to see if it makes any difference. Also today I'm supposed to receive upgraded USB-C cables so they might help - I'm currently using a USB-C cable that I know works but I'm not sure it's made for data transfer.

Also I think I will need to reverse the compass because every time I turn a corner the arrow on the screen turns backwards for a few seconds and the map pivots 180° back and forth before stabilizing.

About the USB-C port on your phones: The USB-C design is waterproof - would I water-pik water into it? No. But I spray it down with rubbing alcohol regularly without any issues.
Which tweak version on AA are you using? I'm using the latest one from the MZD-AOI installer. I've had 0 issues using normal google maps & Spotify on it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So I have found lots of DIY / FAQ posts around this forum and a few other websites, that all give different versions of the "how to do AA and tweaks" story. My "new" 124 is arriving next week, and I'm presuming the previous owner didn't do the upgrade. I made sure to get the 7" display so that I could do this upgrade - hopefully I won't run into issues, but of course anything is possible ashe could've also had fw upgraded (but no programming shows on Carfax).. Will find out when I have the car in my hands.

My question then - What is the most current info/FAQ on doing the upgrade? Seems some have old outdated info, like needing the upgraded hardware for AA versus Carplay.
IF you have the f/w 56 I would use the Mazda AIO Tweaks installer to add AA. Follow the instructions to the T. If you have the f/w 59 you may have to change out hardware OR if you are lucky like mine I was able to factory reset it & it somehow reverted back to f/w 56.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Yes. Mazda AIO Tweaks. I've updated to the latest version when available.

Saying that, I've had problems similar to those above. Playing music and using maps at the same time causes some kind of buffering issues. Sometimes it works for a while. It's fine when parked. But at some point AA drops the connection and then reconnects in cycles until I stop playing music.

Running either music or maps alone is fine but that's not ok. Started having problems with whatever redesign /update Google did to android auto some time ago. Tested on two different phones with same results. Added a USB drive as extra buffer but that didn't help. Also tried config changes, updates, wiping data on phone, etc. Not figured it out yet.

Very frustrating.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm uninstalling the AA this morning - it's been more trouble than it's worth IMHO. Even when I don't use it the system is SLOOOWWWW with it installed. Close - better than last time I tried it when it would just hang "forever."

·
Registered
5 Posts
After a couple of days usage I have a few issues to post.

First let me say thanks to all the pioneers who have made this possible.

There are a few issues though and maybe it is just glitches in the Mazda f/w as I don't think the core code of that has been modified but merely subfiles called by the core have been changed to make it FIAT again.

First, I am experiencing restarts and reboots with a black screen but the audio still plays and Waze still gives audible directions. I'm still seeing if a new USB C cable will fix this but I did notice one time that Android Auto had stopped or was suffering from a memory bleed on my phone.

Second, the two buttons to control either Waze or the audio player app are not functional at all. See the attached photos.

View attachment 70234

View attachment 70236

Also, when exiting to the FIAT menu I see this.

View attachment 70240

Lastly, Android Auto will not recognize SiriusXM as a player via voice commands . It will play TuneIn Radio and switch inputs even using voice commands. For SiriusXM it tells me I need to install Google Music on my device (phone).
I just did my install today. So far working well except I can only use the track wheel in AA. The screen doesn't respond to touch at all. From your comments above it sounds like it is working for you. Is that true?

·
Registered
2018 Fiat 124 Spider
118 Posts
I just did my install today. So far working well except I can only use the track wheel in AA. The screen doesn't respond to touch at all. From your comments above it sounds like it is working for you. Is that true?
DallasJim - If you installed the new USB Hub and upgraded the Firmware to 70.xxx, then AndroidAuto works as designed, wheel only. Kind of a bummer as CarPlay works with touch screen but this seems to be how Mazda/Fiat designed it. Others that have the touchscreen working are not using Firmware version 70.xxx, they are on an older version and using AA app from a Mazda AIO Tweak.

This is how I understand it, someone will clarify anything I misrepresent if needed.

Reactions: DallasJim
21 - 36 of 36 Posts