Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very new to this so please bear with my questions. Have a 2017 Lusso, standard audio system with Bose speakers. Have not used the radio for anything but standard radio stations. Just purchased a Samsung Galaxy S9. Would like to download music to my phone( probably from my laptop) and listen to on my car stereo (are they still called stereos?), as well as other times when I am not in the car. Currently use MP3 Millions to download on to my laptop. I am assuming I need to load Android auto into my radio? Best version and how? Also, assuming I get this done do I still need to load an app? If so I would prefer this app to also be on my phone for campatability. Any app suggestions, and how do I download to the car? Once all of this is up and running what will I see on my screen in the car. Will I have to use the phone to select songs, playlists etc., or will this show up on my screen in the car?

Any and all input will be appreciated.

·
Registered
285 Posts
There are a couple of ways to do Android Auto on your infotainment system. Since you have a 2017 model the install is not all that difficult and the s/w can be updated through the USB port. There is also a h/w kit you need that you can get on eBay for about $150.00. Installation is a two phase process. First you update the s/w in your infotainment system. Then you install the upgraded h/w, which consists of a replacement USB hub and cable kit. The h/w install takes about two hours. You can choose either Android Auto or Apple CarPlay depending on what your needs are.

There are detailed instructions here:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Before you go to the complexity of installing Android Auto, I would suggest the following options:
1) If you have a lot of downloaded mp3 songs, put them in a USB memory stick, which you plug in directly into the car.
2) Try the free version of Pandora. Install it first in your phone, pair your phone to the car by bluetooth, and then control it from the built-in app in the car.
3) If you have eclectic tastes for music (like I do) and Pandora does not fit the bill, get Spotify. You will have to choose the playlist or channel on the phone, but then you can advance or rewind on the car's console.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Agree with GuidoVeloce...go the route he mentioned...you should also be able to sync, via bluetooth, pandora to where all the controls will appear on the car screen. Less hassle.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'm going to vote for the other side of this argument: do the Android Auto installation.

Having Waze on the screen 24/7 is super convenient, even if Google Assistant is completely brain dead.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts