Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a posting about updating the infotainment system to support android auto. It looked fairly complex with a tricky process to update the software and then disassembling the dash to install a new USB cable. The author said it's easier than it looks but still appeared way beyond what I would attempt myself.
Does anyone know of a service to perform this upgrade?

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
I read a posting about updating the infotainment system to support android auto. It looked fairly complex with a tricky process to update the software and then disassembling the dash to install a new USB cable. The author said it's easier than it looks but still appeared way beyond what I would attempt myself.
I agree with you, but it's less complicated. Order the Android Auto kit from Aliexpress. $105. shipping included and is genuine Mazda. I order and installed one from them.
www aliexpress.com/item/1005001447410048.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.34f14c4dPLZ3Z4
put a PERIOD after www

While waiting for the kit, do your Software update. There's the main site here and and a couple others to compliment the main one. Probably if you follow mine you'll see all the questions I asked with reason and to top that I had problem with the Samsung S10 phone.

Once you do the software update and get the Kit, you do the kit installation. On youtube there's 2 video, both are good guides, but the one from TORK is a little more detailed.

Look I am 71 by number and was able to do it and that should encourage any younger member to do it. If you have any doubts or questions, please ask, there are members here that will help you. Good luck

Reactions: FLAbarth

·
Registered
651 Posts
It looks complicated due to the instructions being extremely detailed. You can also find people that have already done the upgrade near your location and maybe ask for help or support.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you are trying to get just Android Auto (not Carplay) installed on your Fiat, then you really dont need any hardware upgrades. I just installed the Android Auto head unit software by following the instructions in the video here. I installed it and using AA for more than a year. No major issues, just some minor bugs sometimes which is fixed when i unplug and replug mostly.

Be careful and read all the instructions before installing. Should not take more than 10-15 mins.

·
Premium Member
2018 Abarth
118 Posts
While waiting for the kit, do your Software update. There's the main site here and and a couple others to compliment the main one. Probably if you follow mine you'll see all the questions I asked with reason and to top that I had problem with the Samsung S10 phone.

Once you do the software update and get the Kit, you do the kit installation. On youtube there's 2 video, both are good guides, but the one from TORK is a little more detailed.
If the owner has a mid-2018 or newer model, that's not the best path, as the head unit would need to be pulled out to do the "serial hack" to enable flashing the Mazda-to-Fiat package. If not done all at once on a late model, the owner will end up pulling the dash apart twice.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
not aware of that since mine is a 2017. Good to know

·
Registered
113 Posts
The need for the serial hack is indirectly correlated to year model, but what it is directly correlated to is your firmware version. And if your earlier SpiderCar 124 has been to a dealer, you might have newer firmware that you would expect by year model if the dealer updated your infotainment system firmware. (No idea why they might do that without your asking for it, but who knows)

IIRC firmware version 59 and up require the serial hack. Below 59 you can start with a USB stick, I believe.

My car requires the serial hack. I bought the thing that is used for the hack. That was 6+ months ago, lol. Been too busy!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts