Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 2017 Classica with 33k miles on it from a local dealer in Florida… got it this Monday as-is. While mechanically it’s in great shape, it’s been raining really hard for the past couple of days here in SoFlo and today I discover a small puddle of water inside my Weathertech floor mats. Upon further inspection I also found water in the floor material under the seat (the seat itself is completely dry!).

The weird thing is that it only happened today and it only happened on the passenger side. It’s been raining pretty hard for a few days and my Spider sits out in the driveway with no issues. Today I parked on the roof ramp of the parking garage at my job. I parked in such a way that the lower side of the car was the passenger’s side.

While browsing the forum I discovered some posts discussing the roof locking pin issues in the context of roof leakage. I was unable to locate the source of the leak, but I was wondering if anyone has encountered an issue where the car is parked on an incline and water pools on one side of the roof seals, resulting in a leak?
Furthermore, based on the fact that there is water inside the floor mats, which have a bucket shape, I am assuming that the leak is somewhere directly above the mats… which again leads me to the rostral roof seams. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
830 Posts
Drain may be clogged.

·
Registered
2018 Abarth 124 Spider, Mare Blue / Nero Abarth Leather, Brembo's, Record Monza, Automatic
1,459 Posts
Yes, roof drain baskets have filters in them, that if clogged can result in puddling in the floor as you described. One of our good forum members, @Tazilon Brenner produced a very excellent video showing how to access and clean these drain baskets. I would suggest you search his posts and follow his instructions as shown - like his other videos it is concise, accurate, and excellent. Best, s

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all so much! I cleaned out the drain filters today - they were absolutely filthy!!! The foam had a caked on layer of dirt on its bottom part!

Naturally, currently I have no way of figuring out if the drains were the culprit, but I’ll keep an eye out and will update if there’s a change.

·
Registered
218 Posts
It's a known problem. Blocked/clogged drain filters = wet carpets. 😁

On another note, I do wonder why so many people have such badly clogged drain filters. My car is outside all year round and annual filter clean there is very little dirt in them. We get a lot of pollen and dust as well as rain to wash the dirt I to the filters. Maybe my frequent (once a week in spring through autumn usually) car washes help flush them through before they start to clog up.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I just followed Tazilon's video to check and clean mine. Easy, and quick. My first time in the 5 years of owning the car. My car is garaged daily, has been caught in the rain about 3 times, and I never park around trees, yet one basket has a leaf stem in it and the other was empty. Both sponge filters were lightly dust discolored but not clogged, but I washed them anyway.

Popping the vertical trim off the door pillar, one of them brought the two metal clips off along with the trim. Noticed it when one hit the ground and pinged around. The other partly stuck to the trim. I used the other side of the car as the pattern to reinstall, and align the clips in the proper orientation. Tweezer points at one, the second in a few inches above, both reinstalled in the proper place.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

And as Tazilion shows in his video, if you grasp the basket with your thumb and middle finger at the black foam location, your index finger can then press down on the release tab and the basket slides out.
Hand Finger Nail Thumb Wrist

This job is easy-peasy. Watch his video and then take 10-15 minutes and go do it. Mine were clean, yours may not be.

Steve.

Reactions: Bella Fiat

·
Registered
2018 Abarth 124 Spider, Mare Blue / Nero Abarth Leather, Brembo's, Record Monza, Automatic
1,459 Posts
Thank you all so much! I cleaned out the drain filters today - they were absolutely filthy!!! The foam had a caked on layer of dirt on its bottom part!

Naturally, currently I have no way of figuring out if the drains were the culprit, but I’ll keep an eye out and will update if there’s a change.
Now it's time to check the cabin air filter too. s

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Now it's time to check the cabin air filter too. s
Surely you jest(?). I've never done the cabin filter but the 101 previous threads about it on this board would have one believe that the dashboard needs to be disassembled, and is probably not a job the "home mechanic" wants to be involved with.

You're just teasing, aren't you?

Steve.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Surely you jest(?). I've never done the cabin filter but the 101 previous threads about it on this board would have one believe that the dashboard needs to be disassembled, and is probably not a job the "home mechanic" wants to be involved with.

You're just teasing, aren't you?

Steve.
No, I am not. See your own thread from awhile back about keeping mice out of your garage, and then see Short Treatise on Cabin Air Filters", and then @4lindamar 's posts, including "It Was Indeed Mice . . . ". Now, after 5 years, some cabin filters may still be relatively clean, others will be fairly nasty. s

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
No, I am not. See your own thread from awhile back about keeping mice out of your garage, and then see Short Treatise on Cabin Air Filters", and then @4lindamar 's posts, including "It Was Indeed Mice . . . ". Now, after 5 years, some cabin filters may still be relatively clean, others will be fairly nasty. s
Ah, yes, mice. I understand.

Steve.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Ah, yes, mice. I understand.

Steve.
That's not the only thing, take a look at some of the pics in the thread "A Short Treatise on Cabin Air Filters". I'm not trying to be argumentative here, Steve . . . I work on cars for a living, and this is some of the stuff I see. Maple seeds, sumac leaves, other crap all gets mixed together - rots and molds, and you breath that stuff in! And it only gets worse from there. One word of caution - be really careful and use an appropriate trim remover to remove the panel where a glove box would normally live - the bosses that hold the retainers are very fragile and easily broken. Best, s

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
P.S.: Hopefully your cabin filter (screen) will be spotless clean and you can call me an ass (😃), but give it a light coat of Lysol anyway, just cuz. Best, s

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Thanks for the reality check, Steve.

Careful schmareful, the ol' Milwaukee Sawzall will get a fella to that cabin filter right quick.

Maybe this has been posted before, but here's a Flyin' Miata filter source and filter replacement video link walking you through the process of replacing the cabin air filter on an ND Miata, and installing an intake pre-filter that will keep the big stuff out. Should be the same process for the Spider.
https://www.flyinmiata.com/default/nd-cabin-air-filter.html

Steve.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts