Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been low key lurking for a while, but have started testing on the new toy, and figured it wouldn't hurt to document a bit. Ran an ND in STR trim for 3 seasons, so pretty familiar with the platform, outside of the fiat specific bits. Adam and Travis have been a huge help in getting up to speed in the differences.

Haven't gotten too far into it - Picked it up about 3 weeks ago with 15k miles on it, and got it back from the body shop 5 days before the first event - thrashed that week and got the following done:

Shocks - Penske 8300's by Ankeny (from my ND)
Bars - Karcepts .180 front, no rear.
Karcepts pro camber bushings
Eurocompulsion Intercooler (needed for front bar)
Eurocompulsion Tune
Eurocompulsion V1 intake
DV+ with Atmo plate - thanks Travis!
AFE AxleBack - Thanks Travis!
Avanti 17x9 storms w/ 245 Yokos for now

Car worked pretty good out of the gate - Codriver took first in class, I coned off an 8tenths improvement - Very, very happy with its first outing. About a second off of STR while scrubbing in the new yokos. Should be able to close that up over the year.

Car is a classica with Open diff, found a 10k mile manual abarth that gave up its LSD, Axles and driveshaft (prosolo spares). Have a new diff bracket (bought back when we thought they would be a weak point for launches with the ND) that I'll be filling the voids on with ES poly for the install. The Open diff was noticeable during testing. I really liked the OEM LSD on the ND, not sure if its up to task on the fiat. This was only $700, and left me with a spare open to install an OSgiken, should it be necessary.

Next up will be the normal weight loss stuff - Have the 2lb Battery tender lithium I'll try at locals - Little worried its reserve is way too low, given the 2 minute turbo these cars have. Buddy club sliders + Sparco evo seats should be right at 25lbs for min seat weight. Should the battery be too small, or have issues with the fiat Battery management module, 6lb AGM will go in.

Turbo back exhaust I still have no idea - would normally diy, but had issues with vibration and cracking on the ND, and the fiat isn't any smoother. I like the look of the 70mm Ragazzon exhaust, but dislike the costs / overseas (support) aspect. If I DIY, I don't plan to retain the OEM brackets with that terrible flange, but will still support the downpipe / crossover. I'm tempted to leave as-is with just the axleback. Dig from 35mph in 3rd had it on par with the tuned STR ND2s to 76mph, and as good in part throttle situations. Car with just the AFE axleback gets better weight savings than the common dual tip midpipe back solutions, while having 0 drone and a great (to me) exhaust note.

First national event is NJ in a few weeks, with 2 more test days before hand. Depending on how that goes, will plan the rest of the season from there. So far, so good!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And since this has been mentioned, but wasn't clear (via photos), Can confirm the OEM intercooler line BRACKET interferes with the Karcepts front sway bar install.

This could be modified (shorter bolt, top rubber deleted, and bracket slightly bent, which would allow for installation with OE intercooler lines, however this wouldn't be legal of SCCA street class. Otherwise the installation mirrors the instructions for the ND miata.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

One more, while waiting on this thread to be approved.

Since I've seen some questions on here - Karcepts camber bushings require removing material off the inside of the upper control arm. This is to clear the front subframe bolt sleeve. This was part of the way through with new bushings installed (Pressed out old bushings with HF press, installed new with a c-clamp). Can see roughly the material needed to remove - but requires test fitting through its range of motion to make sure.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quiet week away - getting ready to swap the Diff/Seats this week. In the meantime, small changes:

I've had the bolts in the stacked OE valve, DV+ and TS atmo plate loosen over time - figured I'd try the Turbosmart unit (dual port).

It's somehow louder, while being a partial recirc unit. Fitment is slightly better with the extra thick intake hoses from EC. Squeaks a little when it opens I hope breaks in a little. Otherwise, its helped with the part throttle behavior I was unhappy with - If I can't live with the sound, may just try the DV+ by itself and call it a day. But inexpensive test at least

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will try and get a video of it, but not loving the sound of the new BOV. Sucks as it does drive well, no leaks.
Will leave it on for this weekends events, but likely will go back to DV+ (without Torque Atmo plate).

On the plus side:

Starting to get working data off of the ECU. Mix of Canbus and OBD - trying to replace the OBD channels with Canbus for the faster signal rate.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And since batteries tend to be a fun conversation piece - The fiat battery management seems like it would want to kill lithiums / mess with high/low voltage protection circuits. You can see where the battery chart is going while the other sensors aren't reading - OBD connector has live 12v, which the adapter can read. Crap napa battery in the car starts with reading 12.6ish, voltage drop during cranking to below 10, and then barely 12.7 until it decides to start charging at 15v - well over lithium recommendations.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the full blow off version of the Turbosmart valve and I haven’t had any of the problems you are describing.
I'm going to try and reset the learning again, and if that will change the behavior. Made sure the flat was facing the recirc port in the head - design is different, puts the atmo ports on the side, recirc on top/bottom.
Operationally, its great. I'm new to turbo cars, so Engine/ECU/and setup for one is a learning curve, and I tend to get anxiety around getting the car running mint.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Borrowed the uncles garage for this one - Installed the new (to me) LSD w/ PowerFlex Race inserts. Fluid that came out of the donor looked mint, but as usual, plug magnet was a bit fuzzy. Lightweight Shock proof went in, Quick shakedown tonight went well. Real test will be autox tomorrow. Ran out of time to install the fixed back seats, will be a next week project.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shakedown today of the new diff. Car pulls well, but tune was set to stock rev limiter, which hurt on this course a bit. Biggest gain at this point will be freeing up the rear a bit, and learning to drive this car vs my sts miata.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Borrowed the uncles garage for this one - Installed the new (to me) LSD w/ PowerFlex Race inserts. Fluid that came out of the donor looked mint, but as usual, plug magnet was a bit fuzzy. Lightweight Shock proof went in, Quick shakedown tonight went well. Real test will be autox tomorrow. Ran out of time to install the fixed back seats, will be a next week project.
Quick note on this - swap went mint, doing a follow up nut and bolt check this week, but 2 days of autcross and 0 complaints. Very happy with the OE LSD.

Dropping the subframe made this easy - no need to take hubs off / disconnect the spindles - there is enough play with the axle CVs to unbolt the ears on the differential carrier, undo the axle nuts, and tap the axles out of the hubs while lifting the carrier. I did it solo, but 2 people could have done way easier.

Would also recommend snagging a paint pen, and marking excentrics / the 6 subframe stud nuts - there is some misalignement possible, and while the flange nuts leave a mark on the subframe, paint pen shows up easier (especially if its been dropped before).

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Abarth
152 Posts
[

Turbo back exhaust I still have no idea -
[/QUOTE]
The biggest restriction in the exhaust is the cross pipe under the engine. You must change that if nothing else. It will allow faster turbo spooling. It did for me. SCCA rules section 13.10.C. says cat back exhaust changes are allowed.in Street class. Since you already have an axle back exhaust you like, look into the EuroCompulsion cross pipe and the Abarth mid pipe from a wrecking yard. An Abarth mid pipe without resonator should gain you 4 HP. NICE build so far, sounds like you really know your way in and around the autocross community. Good luck as you campaign that new Classica.

Reactions: Jronald

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Turbo back exhaust I still have no idea -
The biggest restriction in the exhaust is the cross pipe under the engine. You must change that if nothing else. It will allow faster turbo spooling. It did for me. SCCA rules section 13.10.C. says cat back exhaust changes are allowed.in Street class. Since you already have an axle back exhaust you like, look into the EuroCompulsion cross pipe and the Abarth mid pipe from a wrecking yard. An Abarth mid pipe without resonator should gain you 4 HP. NICE build so far, sounds like you really know your way in and around the autocross community. Good luck as you campaign that new Classica.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I'm a midpack autocrosser, but have fun with it. Lower spool would be helpful, since off the line its a bit of a duck. Rolling 2nd gear pull was fun though coming out of a hairpin, having it respond a bit quicker would be great. Still need to get used to getting on throttle earlier than I expect vs the NA miata I was running before.

I've made some progress on the exhaust front. Have 75% of the bits for a diy 3" setup, with dump behind driver. Waiting on a backordered 100cel 3" cat. Will be going oval under the oil pan, and should have room for muffler / resonator downstream. Parts ignoring the 3" Borla muffler would have been less than any of the crossover pipe offerings, but that doesn't include time and welding supplies. Oval is 2.25 at its widest, so shouldn't have any significant clearance issues.

New EC tune last night, Rev limiter is fixed. v1 intake has some limitations, but no v4s or similar available. Looking forward to testing it this weekend before NJ the following.

10lb AGM battery is in. Will be watching drop from running turbo cooler, but expecting it to be adequate. Wish I could run the battery tender, but don't trust the fiat charging system. Had looked at the NGEN underdrive pulley, but from my understanding, its not really an underdrive (pulleys spin slower, but charge controller sets the alternator output demand, so same load). Doesn't appear it would cut the 15.1v charging voltage to something acceptable to lithium. AC is an idler during autox, so no help there either.

Outside of the exhaust, some setup work, and maybe brakes, I think I'm pretty close to set for the season.

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Abarth
152 Posts
Thanks! I'm a midpack autocrosser, but have fun with it. Lower spool would be helpful, ]
[/QUOTE]

I autocross my "canyon carver setup" car for fun. My under-chassis bracing and my 4-point rear strut bracing kick me up to SSM class where I run on all-season high performance street tires. The only way I could ever win is if everyone else stayed home. lol

·
Registered
191 Posts
What AGM did you go with? I am about to cancel my Braille order, as I have been waiting for months at this point.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What AGM did you go with? I am about to cancel my Braille order, as I have been waiting for months at this point.
Was a cheapie off of amazon - but in the end a nogo. Worked twice, but then would drop to 6v on starting. Has me concerned the 11lb braile I also have on backorder will be a concern. In no rush, and will be printing a frame to insert in the OEM battery tray to raise / secure it. The 15v charging voltage has me concerned enough to want to be able to drop an OEM in during trips without hunting for the mounts.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Was a cheapie off of amazon - but in the end a nogo. Worked twice, but then would drop to 6v on starting. Has me concerned the 11lb braile I also have on backorder will be a concern. In no rush, and will be printing a frame to insert in the OEM battery tray to raise / secure it. The 15v charging voltage has me concerned enough to want to be able to drop an OEM in during trips without hunting for the mounts.
Downside of the goodwin mount. I carry a miata tray/mount as back-up in the event I have an issue. I just saw the braille pushed the date further (5/15.) Getting questionable for the chicago champ at this point, might have to pull the oem stuff off the shelf.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Downside of the goodwin mount. I carry a miata tray/mount as back-up in the event I have an issue. I just saw the braille pushed the date further (5/15.) Getting questionable for the chicago champ at this point, might have to pull the oem stuff off the shelf.
At the end of the day - 30lbs on the nose isn't the biggest deal, will trade for not loosing a run at a national event :)
I don't know why they insisted on this battery management system vs the ND, which was designed to work with lithium batteries (all the ND cup cars ran the 480lithium battery tender).
You'd need to make a new bracket anyways for the braille? didn't think the goodwin mount was that adjustable.

Braile is telling Summit May 12th - but if they keep pushing that back on you, I'd expect the same.

I bought the car and found out its already had an OEM battery replaced, and the new one isn't happy (60% health) according to the inspection report.

·
Registered
191 Posts
At the end of the day - 30lbs on the nose isn't the biggest deal, will trade for not loosing a run at a national event :)
I don't know why they insisted on this battery management system vs the ND, which was designed to work with lithium batteries (all the ND cup cars ran the 480lithium battery tender).
You'd need to make a new bracket anyways for the braille? didn't think the goodwin mount was that adjustable.

Braile is telling Summit May 12th - but if they keep pushing that back on you, I'd expect the same.

I bought the car and found out its already had an OEM battery replaced, and the new one isn't happy (60% health) according to the inspection report.
I don't have the battery in hand however the length and width, from the measurements on the site, will fit the mount. It will take some hardware adjustments for the height, but believe i can make it work. When I have the battery in hand I will know for sure. If i need to print some pieces to make it work I am prepared to do that as well.

Hear you on the weight savings vs. losing a run. I am sure there is a balance in weight savings and reliability, unfortunately I haven't found it outside of an OEM miata setup.

On that note, saw another fiat on the Peru entry list. Guess there are 3 of us now.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yea, Looks like its the case, interesting to see where they went with it, saw videos of them in a stock ND from a while back.

Looks like Chicago has a decent group, with a good mix of cars, NJ is looking light, but might be a few more entries coming.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts