Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at purchasing a Stoplock Pro for the Abarth 124.
Anybody use these or similar versions?
Do they fit ok on the wheel? or do I need to buy the deeper Pro elite version?
Cheers.

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
I use this product with my Spider (but I found a silver version, instead of the more common red one). When I install it, I flip it around so the key opening is facing to the inside of the dash, not toward the driver. My theory is that i would make it bloody near impossible to mess with it in that position, and the only way to get rid of it would be to cut the steering wheel to release it. Getting the key in to unlock it is easy enough. I've been using this ever since I purchased the car, and have them in all of my vehicles. Just another level of theft deterrent, and not a huge cash outlay. Looks like:

Most of the photos show them installed over the top of the entre of the steering wheel, but I find that sometimes results in the horn being depressed, especially when you're moving it on or off in position. So I install mine similar to the inset in the second photo, but turned around so the lock opening is facing away from the driver. Makes the option of drilling out the lock cylinder considerably more difficult. Unlike the Stoplock, when in the unlocked position, the two ends compress together so you don't see any of the steel cylinder showing. When when in place over the steering wheel, you pull the one end away and it ratchets out until it's sitting tight. At that point, it can't be compressed again to remove it without unlocking it to release the rachet catches. Hope that makes sense... :)

Reactions: et_4

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Where are you parking your Spider?

Reactions: hefbadr

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
I use this product with my Spider (but I found a silver version, instead of the more common red one). When I install it, I flip it around so the key opening is facing to the inside of the dash, not toward the driver. My theory is that i would make it bloody near impossible to mess with it in that position, and the only way to get rid of it would be to cut the steering wheel to release it. Getting the key in to unlock it is easy enough. I've been using this ever since I purchased the car, and have them in all of my vehicles. Just another level of theft deterrent, and not a huge cash outlay. Looks like:
View attachment 82533
The Stoplock product looks more modern, and from what I can tell from the photos I saw on the website selling them is that either model you listed should work. You just need it to fit over the centre of the wheel and under the opposite side. It's the length of the exposed end that does the work, and even if it were to fit loose, there's no way that sucker is coming off. It would still prevent the wheel from being turned such that the vehicle could be operated.

Reactions: et_4

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Park the car on the drive at home. We have security posts so that's not an issue. It's just everywhere else I feel that I need that bit extra security. Especially now the UK police are advising steering locks again like they did in the 90's due to the amount of keyless thefts going on.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Personally it may scare kids
But if someone wants to steal your car. a battery saw tool will do the job and will do more damage cause the person has a very limited time to steal your car

·
Registered
Just bought 2017 Abarth spider
57 Posts
Read about this trick somewhere. Sounds easy.
Add a hidden switch on the fuelpump powerline. If someone does succeed in taking the car it wil run out of fuel in a few blocks. Switch can be under the seat for quick acces (if you forget it yourself)

·
Registered
564 Posts
Cheers.
Don't have a Stoplok Pro, but my son uses one every day on his Abarth 595 Competizione. He pops a microfiber cloth over the wheel to avoid scuffs on the steering wheel and carbon trim bits. Comes with its own bag. He's used to using it now and pops it in the boot when driving. It just won Best Award in Auto Express test of products like these. Bright yellow so a very visible deterrent. G

·
Registered
10 Posts
My recollection of those bars from years back is that a determined thief will have means of cutting the wheel to remove the device. I'm sorry about an increase in theft, but I agree that a disabler of some sort makes more sense. A simple toggle that disables the starter is all you need. It can easily be buried under the dash or hidden in a console or glove box and doesn't even need to be key activated.

·
Registered
18 Abarth 6MT, all the options, Chipbox and OEM Abarth fender badges. Pedalbooster not installed
687 Posts
Given that most youngsters have never seen let alone driven a manual transmission my 6MT is a great theft deterrent. How you gonna steal a car if you can't drive it off. :)

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Add a hidden switch on the fuelpump powerline. If someone does succeed in taking the car it wil run out of fuel in a few blocks. Switch can be under the seat for quick acces (if you forget it yourself)
that s what I did to my Fiat 128 which Had an electric fuel pump

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Add a hidden switch on the fuel pump powerline. If someone does succeed in taking the car it will run out of fuel in a few blocks. Switch can be under the seat for quick acces (if you forget it yourself)
Fords used to have inertial fuel switches (as a result of the Pinto fires). All you had to do was smack it hard and then remember to press the reset button before starting.
Fully Comprehensive Insurance policy.
I sleep well at night.
That and a manual transmission.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Going back in years to the "Stoplock" era, part one.....I can remember pulling plug leads one and three when leaving the soft top parked up as well as arming the alarm, belt and braces stuff and yep, I also remember the hidden fuel cut off switch, I also remember forgetting to switch the fuel on on my old Triumph Bonneville, starting off and within half a mile (fuel efficiency) the bike crawling to the side of the road ....Happy Days. Cheers
ron

Reactions: AbarthEsq

·
Registered
2019 Fiat 124 Spider Lusso
354 Posts
Have you considered the Madness GoPedal with bluetooth? Has a killswitch controllable from your cell phone, so you'd get the same anti-theft effect with a little performance boost when you want it. I run one on both my Alfa and my spider. Great theft deterrent. Just in case you didn't want to be locking something down on your steering wheel.

·
Registered
2019 Fiat 124 Spider Lusso
354 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Going back in years to the "Stoplock" era, part one.....I can remember pulling plug leads one and three when leaving the soft top parked up as well as arming the alarm, belt and braces stuff and yep, I also remember the hidden fuel cut off switch, I also remember forgetting to switch the fuel on on my old Triumph Bonneville, starting off and within half a mile (fuel efficiency) the bike crawling to the side of the road ....Happy Days. Cheers
ron
Yep.. know exactly what you mean. I had a 90' VW Scirocco GTii and wired the redundant front fog light switch to a battery cut off 😁 MOT guy rang me to say you have a SERIOUS fault on your car.. we've spent 2 hours trying to start it with no luck 😂

·
Registered
113 Posts
Cheers.
I just grappled with this dilemma and ended up with a disklok because I didn’t want somebody sawing through the steering wheel to remove the thing...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts