Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this forum. I am considering a new manual Abarth. I have found a couple 2018 models that are "in transit" to dealers, but none of them have all the features I would like. I'm wondering what others think are important features. In particular, I'm wondering how important the auto-dimming mirrors are. It's a low car (one of the reasons I like it), so those headlights from trucks can be tough. I'm not sure if the side mirrors are something that can be added after market -- I couldn't find any when I did an Internet search.

Appreciate any thoughts those of you that already have one might have.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I ordered mine with the Lux package (a 2017) because my wife insisted that I get Sirius radio.

It came with a lot of options that I thought were silly, but it turns out that I love some of those silly options and I really miss them now that the car is in storage for the winter and I am back to driving my 500.

The LED headlights are the best headlights I have ever had in a car.

The auto dimming rear view mirror is not a big deal, but the auto dimming side mirrors are fantastic. I miss the headlights and mirrors every time I drive at night.

The auto windshield wipers sounds silly, but they are the best intermittent wipers I have ever had. They only run when needed, so if conditions are such that the wiper needs to wipe once every 5 minutes, that is what they do. Fantastic.

I really like the blind spot detection and the rear camera is very useful. I miss both.

The only things that I wanted in the Lux package were the leather seats and Sirius radio. Now that I have the car, I like just about all of the options that it came with. I really miss driving the spider, I can't wait for winter to end...

·
Registered
639 Posts
I ordered mine with the Lux package (a 2017) because my wife insisted that I get Sirius radio.

It came with a lot of options that I thought were silly, but it turns out that I love some of those silly options and I really miss them now that the car is in storage for the winter and I am back to driving my 500.

The LED headlights are the best headlights I have ever had in a car.

The auto dimming rear view mirror is not a big deal, but the auto dimming side mirrors are fantastic. I miss the headlights and mirrors every time I drive at night.

The auto windshield wipers sounds silly, but they are the best intermittent wipers I have ever had. They only run when needed, so if conditions are such that the wiper needs to wipe once every 5 minutes, that is what they do. Fantastic.

I really like the blind spot detection and the rear camera is very useful. I miss both.

The only things that I wanted in the Lux package were the leather seats and Sirius radio. Now that I have the car, I like just about all of the options that it came with. I really miss driving the spider, I can't wait for winter to end...
I agree entirely with Steve. Initially I want the luxury package only for the leather seats. But I like all the goodies I got with this package.
Specially with the auto dim rear view mirror and the anti glare side view mirror. I'm also glad I got the the Bose system, not that it sounds powerful or it is an audiophile grade one but I think it's much better than the plain base system. Music is important to me while driving.

·
Registered
534 Posts
+1 on the Luxury collection. I also added the Brembo brakes.

Reactions: Ray

·
Registered
351 Posts
Yeah, I got all the goodies on my Lusso and they're awesome. The headlights alone are worth the price of it all.

·
Registered
662 Posts
+1 on the Luxury collection. I also added the Brembo brakes.
I added the Brembos too, but my dealer forgot to put them on the order.

·
Registered
534 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
In particular, I'm wondering how important the auto-dimming mirrors are. It's a low car (one of the reasons I like it), so those headlights from trucks can be tough.
You can order a set of the blue tinted anti glare convex mirrors from Rev9 for $130. They kill glare and bright lights plus give you a better view that eliminates blind spots.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I ordered mine with everything except the luxury package. I definitively wanted the Recaro seats and the LED headlights, so this options were a must.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the thoughts. Good advice. And yes, the Brembo brakes are definitely a must-have.

As I looked at some other threads, I started to wonder about the heritage stripe. It makes the car look very special, but some people express concerns about its maintenance.

·
Registered
587 Posts
You can order a set of the blue tinted anti glare convex mirrors from Rev9 for $130. They kill glare and bright lights plus give you a better view that eliminates blind spots.
Too bad they don't make one for the inside rearview mirror, or do they?

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
The blind spot monitors and auto-dim mirrors can be had as part of the cheaper "Safety and Comfort Collection", along with the rear parking sensors, alarm and homelink.

The auto wipers are standard on the Abarth.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I took a showroom car and got the comfort package - love the auto dim mirrors and he blind spot monitoring (although it gives me lots of false alarms).

I would have taken Recaros if I could get them, but in the meantime have become very happy with the stock Abarth seats. I was originally intending to replace the cloth middle section with leather - now am glad I didn't as it is very comfortable and holds you well - in fact I suspect it is more practical than the leather.

I also wanted the Bose stereo, and am also glad I didn't get it. Instead I spent $1200 on an upgrade stereo system and now have great sound - better than the bose. So that was worth it for me.

Why didn't I just get the car sec'd the way I want it - because I walked in to the dealership intending to place an order, and they had one on the floor with the black stripe. I wasn't planning on the stripe, but once I saw it, I decided on the sot (with my wife's council), that that was the one I was going to buy. And they had a killer deal on it too...

So my money has gone into paint protection film, a stereo, and phase 1 tune. Very happy with the choices. Standard lights are more than fine and I commute with it every day.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I took a showroom car and got the comfort package - love the auto dim mirrors and he blind spot monitoring (although it gives me lots of false alarms).

I would have taken Recaros if I could get them, but in the meantime have become very happy with the stock Abarth seats. I was originally intending to replace the cloth middle section with leather - now am glad I didn't as it is very comfortable and holds you well - in fact I suspect it is more practical than the leather.

I also wanted the Bose stereo, and am also glad I didn't get it. Instead I spent $1200 on an upgrade stereo system and now have great sound - better than the bose. So that was worth it for me.

Why didn't I just get the car sec'd the way I want it - because I walked in to the dealership intending to place an order, and they had one on the floor with the black stripe. I wasn't planning on the stripe, but once I saw it, I decided on the sot (with my wife's council), that that was the one I was going to buy. And they had a killer deal on it too...

So my money has gone into paint protection film, a stereo, and phase 1 tune. Very happy with the choices. Standard lights are more than fine and I commute with it every day.

I think this is identical to the one I'm working on with a dealer right now. Aluminum, Heritage Stripe, Safety and Comfort package. You like? Seems a good combo to me. I'd love the Brembo brakes and the Recaro seats, but not enough to wait a year.

If the deal goes through I'll also get the red trim pieces, and a thin red pinstripe along the Heritage stripe.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yes, very happy with the package. I would have liked the Recarros also, but also didn't want to wait. The stock seats are great. I originally planned to replace the middle cloth section with a different colored leather, but the quote was over $1000. Now I'm glad i didn't, as that center cloth section is very comfortable and grips you well.

I wasn't happy with the non Bose stereo, so invested some money there. If you plan to use it as a daily/regular driver (ie in the rain), I highly recommend paint protection film as the matte paint is a bear to maintain. You need to go to a high end place as the normal PPF will cause reflection and not look great. I got the 3M "stealth" PPF and you cannot tell it has been applied - no sheen at all. If you do the PPF, I recommend doing the rear trunk lid as well, just so you don't have to deal with fingerpritns etc and it all looks consistent.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Yes, very happy with the package. I would have liked the Recarros also, but also didn't want to wait. The stock seats are great. I originally planned to replace the middle cloth section with a different colored leather, but the quote was over $1000. Now I'm glad i didn't, as that center cloth section is very comfortable and grips you well.

I wasn't happy with the non Bose stereo, so invested some money there. If you plan to use it as a daily/regular driver (ie in the rain), I highly recommend paint protection film as the matte paint is a bear to maintain. You need to go to a high end place as the normal PPF will cause reflection and not look great. I got the 3M "stealth" PPF and you cannot tell it has been applied - no sheen at all. If you do the PPF, I recommend doing the rear trunk lid as well, just so you don't have to deal with fingerpritns etc and it all looks consistent.
Thanks. Good suggestion on the PPF. How much should I expect to pay for that?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I thought some of the options were silly and unnecessary and they came at a premium
I drove 90 miles to get my Lusso with just the Bose/Sirius/Nav and Manual Trans
The optioned out Lusso was 15 miles from home but swivel headlights and beep beep and flashing mirror on a little Sports car would have ended up costing me Over $3000 more
It’s not that I couldn’t afford a maxed out Abarth,I didn’t want one.
The way I looked at it was more things to break and take time to fix and they did nothing for me
My Dads 1977 MG had a AM FM radio and a roof that was a PITA to drop and that Car was the coolest car around
The 124 is perfect for me in Lusso trim with a quality Music system

·
Registered
676 Posts
I went with a loaded manual Abarth. Including the Brembos and Recaro seats. Yes, more to go wrong potentially. But, I love it all!

Headleads, wow! I went on night drives in the summer just because they are so good. Warm summer night, stars, mountain roads and seeing every detail as they pivot around the corners, light up the road and sides yet don’t blind other cars. Plus personally, I prefer the full halo. They have made our other cars high tech headlights look weak, they are that good.

I did replace the fogs with LED to match color. The yellow bugged me.

Blind spot has saved my butt a couple times with the top up. But I am pushing the limit on height, or maybe more accurately torso length, and that just makes the blind spots worse.

I did replace the mirror with a smaller one to see better

Bose, sounds great

Backup camera, oh yeah a must for me. Works great

Larger screen and all those functions, yup, love it

Seats fit like a glove and give me more headroom

Anyway all good.

Brembos, maybe a thing to think about. The are cool, look great, perform very well,and if you want more of everything GWR has a big brake kit now. But only the fronts are Brembo. For the money you could go with a full front and rear set of Wilwoods from GWR. Plus they are lighter. The real kicker though is how many more wheels will fit them. I will likely go with the GWR big brake kit for Brembo, and Wilwoods in the rear. But bottom of my current mod list.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts