Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Abarth
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!
Just clicked past the 400 mile mark my new Abarth and most has been in weather over 90 degrees, today was 105. The temp gauge never went beyond 210. Sounds great.

But, what, if any concerns are there with high temps I get here in West Texas? Has anyone had any issues?

Also, hope I am posting in the right area.

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
2,307 Posts
Keep the highest octane gas in it you can get, 91 or 93 if available there. It will pull itself back as it gets heat soaked. I am in the Phoenix valley where 105 is a cool day here soon. Both the Spider and 500 run like dogs in the afternoons but just fine in the mornings when its in the 70s-80s and that's with upgraded intercoolers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello, here in south Florida, if the interior temp gets to hot, I will get a message on my screen, "Hi Temperature Screen interoperable " after a few minutes with the AC on, the screen cools and all is good. My Fiat Dealer has checked and has advised, this is normal. Only happened twice since 2018.

Reactions: JCC

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
As long as you are using premium gasoline and your car is stock you have zero concerns.

·
Registered
Abarth
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. Keep good gas; thanks, and do anyways. Screen shutting off, good to know and not waste my time and the dealer looking at that; thanks. And I figured modern cars are built to deal with extreme heat. Just want to see if anyone has ever has specific issues. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Hi. Premium fuel "always" it's recommended for our engines, and AC on....the reason I say that is if people have early signs of thermostat issues switching on AC will assist in operating the thermostat. 21st Century 124 Spider has a detailed explanation and blow up diagram. I claim no glory for this, I just like a good read and 21st Century 124 Spider is a very good read.....Cheers
ron

Reactions: ameridan and JCC

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I have a neighbor with two BMW convertibles who rarely drives with the top town. When I asked him why he said he gets too hot. I loved the "doh!" look he gave me when I suggested running the A/C with the top down.

·
Registered
Abarth
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a neighbor with two BMW convertibles who rarely drives with the top town. When I asked him why he said he gets too hot. I loved the "doh!" look he gave me when I suggested running the A/C with the top down.
Ooof, imagine trying to enjoy your open top car for years not thinking to turn on the AC. I have had a Jeep for years and rarely have the top on. I run the AC or heater most of the time.

I think the crazy summer temps are mostly over here in W. Texas. Ten day forecast shows highs in the 80s. I had no issues with the car. I will say the performance was hurt with the high temps. Also, the closest gas station with 93 octane is 50 miles away. I have to live with 91. I hope this is my last crazy hot summer. I am moving to Denver in a few months. Now I need to learn to live in the cold, and snow. Not sure what's worse, haha.

·
Registered
265 Posts
A Mercedes service guy advised me to open the hood, if possible, after a long hot drive to allow the heat to escape. Theory being the trapped heat deteriorates the engine hoses, plastic sensors, etc..particularly with a turbo. The under engine splash guard doesn’t help.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Since my Spider is my weekend toy, after a pleasurable run, I park in the garage, pop the hood, keep it up, and place it on a trickle charge. Even though it may be days before my next playtime, little Spidie will still jump to life with the push of a button. I think she appreciates being able to cool down a little faster, too. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts