Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this topic is okay for this general discussion forum. It is 124 Spider related...

In the few days I've been here I've come across a few Spider owners/future owners who also enjoy Italian motorcycles or scooters. In a different, unrelated post I'd mentioned that owning Italian vehicles of any kind carries with it a lifelong virus, the only cure being lifelong Italian vehicle ownership.

Let's hear it- how many new generation Spider owners also own, or have owned, Italian motorcycles or scooters? Tell us a little about them. Think of this topic as winter therapy.

Me, Moto Guzzi motorcycles. A 2004 California EV owned from 2005-2007 (sold due to ergonomic issues), and currently a 2016 V7II Stone, my avatar image. Guzzi, a brand as rich in historic character, charm, and emotion as Fiat ever had. I had a couple other brands in between these, but I always knew I'd come back to the Guzzi flock. Soon I'll have two Italians living in my garage.

Steve.

·
Banned
425 Posts
Have my 2003 Moto Guzzi California Aluminum. It is a motorcycle you just drive because it never needs anything. I refer to it as "the Sportster that works". When asked how I like it I tell people, hydraulic lifters never need adjusting, dry clutch = clean oil, shaft drive is zero maintenance, plenty fast, and just ride it. What's not to like? 103,000 miles on that one and still have the original battery in it.
For two up touring, I have a 2009 Moto Guzzi Stelvio.named after the famous Stelvio pass through the Alps. 1200 CC four valve motor. (See Avatar) My biggest concern with getting the Abarth was that I was giving up a lot of storage space. I call that one "My sport bike on stilts"" 30,000 miles and counting.
And while not Italian, I don't want to hurt my 1971 BSA Lightening 650's feelings by not mentioning it. This bike taught me about the value of minimalism and light weight, .The authentic, quintessential experience when riding on a back country lane.
Having only had a motorcycle for transportation in the early days, I got my fill of cold weather riding. The FIAT is my plan for extending the driving/riding season.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Well not Italian. But the VFR is Italian inspired. :)

Attachments

Reactions: jconli1 and Stelvio

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm amazed at the similarities in MC ownership in this small group. I had a 650 BSA Hornet in the 70's. I rode a Moto Guzzi V10 Centauro in the late nineties. And in the 2000s I rode an Aprilia Capo Nord, which I just sold last year. That bike and I made a solo trip from Seattle to Quebec City and back in 2002. The Moto Guzzi had the same engine, minus a few ccs, as Stelvio has in his MG. That bike was clearly the most fun. It was just nasty on the backroads. I loaded it down with camping gear and took trips from here to New Mexico, to Montana, from St. Louis up the Mississippi to Wisconson, and from St. Louis to the Blue Ridge in Virginia. So much fun. The Abarth is a direct descendant. It was sensitive to the heavy loads in the rear, though, and would set up a shimmy when the front end got light above 85mph. Some shots below where it is loaded down:

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
After many years on Harleys I bought a Ducati 900SS. Wide open through a corner there is nothing better. Anywhere else there is nothing worse! I traded for an ST2 (touring Ducati). Even with a Sargent seat, Bar risers and a reshaped windscreen it was pain. I have also owned a Vespa 250ie. As with anything Italian, great fun when they run. Which is not as often as you would like. The biggest selling point of the 124 is that it is put together by Mazda.

What do a Ducati and a cheap hotel have in common?

No ballroom.

That said, I'm thinking of selling the GoldWing. I don't ride it since getting the Spider. That new Ducati Desert Sled really has me thinking...

·
Registered
150 Posts
That said, I'm thinking of selling the GoldWing. I don't ride it since getting the Spider. That new Ducati Desert Sled really has me thinking...
Ironically, my Abarth was my choice preference over a new Goldwing. My current motorcycle is a Yamaha FJR that is fun to ride, but since getting the Abarth it's been parked and is probably going to end up being sold.

·
Banned
425 Posts
Beautiful pictures. Nice looking Guzzi.

Attachments

Reactions: oliverpull

·
Registered
165 Posts
Beautiful pictures. Nice looking Guzzi.
Oh, does that BSA bring back memories. Unmatched audio! My battery compartment came open once on the Bayshore freeway south of San Francisco and the battery slid off its shelf and dangled above the chain guard until I could cross two lanes to the shoulder. Those were the days.

Reactions: 5961 and Stelvio

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2011 Ducati Multistrada 1200 with about 55,000 KMs on it. I don't ride it much locally because here in Ontario we a cursed by the English surveyors (straight flat roads) and terrible drivers. I love to take it down through the Appalachians of PA, WV, VA, TN, NC, GA, a couple of times a year. Part of buying the Spider was so I could share the experiences of those roads with my wife. She has her motorcycle license and a little CBR 250 but touring on 2 wheels isn't her thing. Also, I'm a nervous wreck when I'm on my bike riding behind her. Funny thing about motorcycles is that it's okay for me to ride but I don't like seeing my loved ones exposed to the danger. Sports cars are fun but will never replace the feeling of scraping hard parts through the curves on 2 wheels.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My daughter rides a CBR 250. I used to take it out on the San Francisco Bay backroads. There was a guy on a new 1200 Multistrada that I would pass in the corners, then he would pass in the straights. I suggested that his Ducky was wasted on him and that he should get a Harley ;) Next time I saw him he was on a Hog.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ironically, my Abarth was my choice preference over a new Goldwing. My current motorcycle is a Yamaha FJR that is fun to ride, but since getting the Abarth it's been parked and is probably going to end up being sold.

I put a new-overstock 2010 Yamaha FJR1300 into service in May 2011. FJR for long hauling, Moto Guzzi V7II for near-home fun and commuting, and now the Spider for... for all kinds of fun. I've now got too many choices when I open the garage door.

Steve.

Reactions: MotoPete

·
Banned
425 Posts
Sports cars are fun but will never replace the feeling of scraping hard parts through the curves on 2 wheels.
Loved the video. Maybe we passed each other on some of those roads as I have done many of them. The car will only do so much, but it will expand the riding season. Next time come down through S.E. Ohio. I can point you to some great rides.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts