Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, I love this car, yet none of the dealerships near me can give me a test drive. Would anyone be willing to let me drive yours or go for a ride along?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Sorry, I'm across the country. But why won't the dealers do a test drive?

Steve.

·
Administrator
1,932 Posts
If none of the dealerships want to give you a test drive, there's probably a reason for it that should deter any members from doing that instead.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Seaside Fiat CDJR let me test drive my Lusso, in fact they gave me the keys and had me go for a drive without them in the car.

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
I’ve known dealerships to withhold test drives. When the GT86/BRZ was released here it was almost impossible to get a test drive of one. The dealers were allocating them whilst they were still on the ship and reserving none as demos. Subaru dealers weren’t even taking them unless they were presold. So it’s possible that could be the case. Even when the 2017 BRZ model upgrade came out, and I was an existing BRZ owner looking at a potential turnover, I couldn’t find a single dealer with a demo vehicle.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
If none of the dealerships want to give you a test drive, there's probably a reason for it that should deter any members from doing that instead.
That thought occurred to me reading the OP. License issues come to mind. As do other reasons.

Steve.

·
Registered
791 Posts
How many dealers have them in your area. Odd that none of them would allow a test drive. Heck, my wife went into an Audi dealer on a Friday evening looking at a Q5 and the sales guy said they were too close to closing, so he just gave her the Q5 for the night and told her to bring in back on Saturday!

On the other haned, the 124 could be considered an "enthusiast" car. There was an article posted in another thread awhile back and I'll re-post it here. Maybe OP is running into something like this...

Why the average car dealership hates selling to enthusiasts
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-maintenance/a14759923/why-the-average-new-car-dealership-hates-selling-to-enthusiasts/

·
Administrator
1,932 Posts
Enthusiast car or not, it's not a Ferrari or even a Corvette. A serious buyer should be able to get a test drive. It's a $25,000-$35,000 roadster, not a Ferrari. My dealership sent a salesman 20 minutes away to let me test drive the Abarth in my own neighborhood.

·
Super Moderator
951 Posts
Great article! I can relate to the story. But . . .
In Austin TX the Beasley Mazda stores have always been seriously connected with the Miata community. I visited them in my quest for touch-up paint and wound up having a long conversation with a very capable salesman who knew I was not going to buy the RF I'd been admiring.
When I test drove a '17 MX5 Club, that salesman knew I wasn't buying - I told him right up-front it was purely a test drive and that the Subaru store was my next stop for a BRZ test drive. He had me in the car in a flash.
I suppose I was profiled in all these circumstances and drove up in a pristine 2000 Miata.

In contrast, Maxwell Fiat blew off the local Fiat Club of America chapter. No interest in engaging at all. It prompted a polite letter from me to Nyle Maxwell, to which I have had zero response.

I think if you're blown-off by a salesperson the thing to do is approach the Sales Manager and take it from there.
best regards
Pete

·
Registered
791 Posts
I think if you're blown-off by a salesperson the thing to do is approach the Sales Manager and take it from there.
best regards
Pete
We're straying off topic, but many years ago when I was in my mid-30's I looked much younger and could have passed for 22. I went into an Audi dealership on a weekday afternoon wanting to look at an A4. The place was dead, not a customer to be found except for me. The salesguy didn't even get up from his chair and answered my inquires with short curt responses that implied, "Just leave." :|

·
Registered
298 Posts
We're straying off topic, but many years ago when I was in my mid-30's I looked much younger and could have passed for 22. I went into an Audi dealership on a weekday afternoon wanting to look at an A4. The place was dead, not a customer to be found except for me. The salesguy didn't even get up from his chair and answered my inquires with short curt responses that implied, "Just leave." :|
Well...along those lines...most of my work colleagues were mechanical engineers back in the day, and the hubby is a serious gear head. I've learned a lot over the years from all of them and for some reason, I've always loved cars. One look at me and every sales person just wants to show me the upholstery and not the engine...even when I ask nicely...almost every single dayum time I've gone to look at cars. If he's with me, my husband just laughs now, because he knows I will politely, but firmly keep pushing for what I'm asking for.

With that said, look in the East Bay...that's where I first test drove a Lusso and then an Abarth.

·
Registered
127 Posts
How many dealers have them in your area. Odd that none of them would allow a test drive. Heck, my wife went into an Audi dealer on a Friday evening looking at a Q5 and the sales guy said they were too close to closing, so he just gave her the Q5 for the night and told her to bring in back on Saturday!

On the other haned, the 124 could be considered an "enthusiast" car. There was an article posted in another thread awhile back and I'll re-post it here. Maybe OP is running into something like this...

Why the average car dealership hates selling to enthusiasts
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-maintenance/a14759923/why-the-average-new-car-dealership-hates-selling-to-enthusiasts/
Wow. That schtick sounds very familiar in my pre-buying experience here in Grands Rapids. As a result, I found an out-of-town dealer that was great to deal with. :eek:

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'm surprised to hear you can not test drive. I drove the very car I bought. In fact I drove more than one from more than one dealership. No one gave me any problems like that. Did they say why you cannot test drive a car?

I might be able to help depending on where you are, but I wouldn't buy a car from someone that wouldn't let me test drive the car first.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I drove out to the Fiat dealership on a whim, found they had a manual Abarth, had absolutely no problem taking it for a test drive, and drove it home off the lot same day. Just like every other car I've bought in the US.

Its only after a year of hanging out here I realize just how unusual my experience was.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I drove out to the Fiat dealership on a whim, found they had a manual Abarth, had absolutely no problem taking it for a test drive, and drove it home off the lot same day. Just like every other car I've bought in the US.

Its only after a year of hanging out here I realize just how unusual my experience was.
I drove a Lusso on a Saturday, but the only Abarth was in the show room and it was already sold. The dealer had several Abarths in a nearby city, so the next day they brought one over. I drove that one as well, but it was no longer new with some nicks etc from having been driven during a nearby, large automobile show. Ultimately, I found my car in SoCal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts