Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Abarth 124 Spider, Mare Blue / Nero Abarth Leather, Brembo's, Record Monza, Automatic
1,265 Posts
None. And furthermore, even if the dealer is honestly committed to providing top shelf service, and the management is serious about having a top shelf reputation in the community, there is no guarantee that the individual they employ is ethical, honest, and committed to providing quality work. Techs come and go, and some are more concerned with how many flat rate hours they turn than how many cars they fix right the first time. Sorry to have to say that, but that's the way it is. (When a repair shop hires a tech, they may be able to determine he is very knowledgeable, but it's more difficult to determine his ethics/morals. Ex employers are reluctant to bad mouth ex employees due to liability concerns. And flat rate needs to go away.). s
P.S.: This isn't to say that there are not any good/excellent Fiat trained techs out there. When you find one, being at a dealer or indie shop, let him know you appreciate the quality work and spread the word! Best, s

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
So, these comments bring up an excellent question: what’s the point in paying for an extended warranty to have FCA dealers, with limited training and expertise in Fiats, service and repair a Mazda-engineered car built in Japan ...?

My CDJR-F dealer already admitted that they only have one tech trained on Fiats, and their store never even sold one Spider. Mine is one of only two Spiders they see come in for service.

My independent garage has a mechanic that races his own Miata. I think I much rather try my luck with him.
I'd be happy having the warranty pay for work done by an independent.
$1300 won‘t cover much parts and labor at an indi over the span of 4 yrs past manufacture warranty. Also I don‘t see FCA going out of business anytime soon…..
As a matter of fact FCA covered $4000 out of a $5000 cost for a repair on my Jeep SRT even tho it was 8 months past the conventional warranty and I had not purchased the extended warranty.
Should we assume you're very persuasive?
I also don’t see CDJR dealers supporting Fiat much longer, especially not in North America.

Once that Fiat-trained tech leaves, retires, gets injured, most dealers are not going to bother replacing him with another. Let alone train anyone else of their staff to work on Fiats. The bulk of their revenue and profits comes from servicing Jeeps, Rams and Dodges.

At that point, that warranty won’t be worth the paper it’s printed on.

Stellantis would be smart to work out some kind of arrangement with Mazda dealers to allow them to repair our cars.
Claims will be filed against Mopar for its selling warranties it cannot honor.

·
Registered
Fiat 124 Spider w/ Abarth LSD & RM
237 Posts
No special issues in this car... some pressure leaks, spark plugs, ... not big deals, the motor was very good on punto abarth multiair and mito multiair, that cars have a couple of years more then ours, and there are lots of cars remapped with high mileages...

I think you made the right choice.

·
Registered
2018 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth
2,247 Posts
Claims will be filed against Mopar for its selling warranties it cannot honor.
Perhaps. But that won’t solve my problem if I can’t find an FCA dealer with a qualified tech to repair my Fiat, as agreed upon on the extended warranty.

·
Registered
2018 Abarth
31 Posts
I'm wary of any kind of warranty that's not straight from a manufacturer, with cars or anything else in life. I used to work for a home warranty company (which also owns a car extended warranty company) as an HVAC repairman. There were many things they did not cover, even with the top of the line "platinum" plan. If car extended warranties have as much fine print as home warranties, I'm not interested. Every company sells a warranty contract with the risk calculated where the company has a better chance of making a profit on the contract than the customer costs them in repairs. If they are betting on the chance that I will buy their warranty and then never need it, then I can put my faith in their bet too by not buying the warranty at all.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm wary of any kind of warranty that's not straight from a manufacturer, with cars or anything else in life. I used to work for a home warranty company (which also owns a car extended warranty company) as an HVAC repairman. There were many things they did not cover, even with the top of the line "platinum" plan. If car extended warranties have as much fine print as home warranties, I'm not interested. Every company sells a warranty contract with the risk calculated where the company has a better chance of making a profit on the contract than the customer costs them in repairs. If they are betting on the chance that I will buy their warranty and then never need it, then I can put my faith in their bet too by not buying the warranty at all.
Number of years ago I read a consumer report that recommended the same thing concerning product warranties.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I blown 2 engines within a month of each other and a year later still have some minor issues with my car (We seem to have figured out what is wrong). I would go for the extended warranty if i were you.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Yes i do, but the track days were unrelated to the failures. Fiat knows how to design an engine, but their quality control is lacking. Some cars (like my 500 abarth) will run flawlessly while others like my spider will be a total nightmare.
Did FCA give you any issues before taking care of the new motors?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Did FCA give you any issues before taking care of the new motors?
The new motor was repaired, not replaced. Those two times i didn’t have any issues with them but i am having a misfire now at cold starts which they refuse to do a proper diagnosis. They told me “spark plugs” and kicked me out the door.

Looking into my issue and with help from the Fiat Discord we found that my MAP pressure was at 9in/hg at idle on cold starts which correct me if i am wrong means a vacuum leak. I’m basically on my own now (bumper to bumper expired but the engine has it’s own warranty)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Notwithstanding concerns about good124 techs; if they are out there, I'd like to think, on average, they'd be at an CDJR dealership. I did purchase the 8-year/75,000 Mopar warranty for $1600 after buying my Lusso in 2020: For me, I saw the Mopar warranty as buying some peace of mind for $200/year. But before taking your car in, know your warranty and what you're entitled to, as the service shop may not automatically look it up.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Notwithstanding concerns about good124 techs; if they are out there, I'd like to think, on average, they'd be at an CDJR dealership. I did purchase the 8-year/75,000 Mopar warranty for $1600 after buying my Lusso in 2020: For me, I saw the Mopar warranty as buying some peace of mind for $200/year. But before taking your car in, know your warranty and what you're entitled to, as the service shop may not automatically look it up.
My servicing dealer is a CDJR dealership and they're only 33 miles away. While it was still under warranty I had work done there and they were very efficient and seemed to know their business. After my first service I got quite a few emails offering the warranty. Tomorrow I'll be talking to them to see what they have to offer.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts