Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to upgrade the door speakers, the tweeters, add an amp (no sub). I'd like to reuse the existing speaker wire if possible and just T in after the TAU. It looks like there is some sort of passive crossover built-in. Is there a way to figure out what wattage ratio split that passes to the tweeters vs the speakers? Could I run a 2 channel amp to it? I'm not super familiar with componet systems. XR's thread has me interested but he's unfortunately not finished and doesn't look like there's an estimated completion date.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 124 ABARTH
790 Posts
There are several threads on upgrading the speakers, just do a search. The main thing to keep in mind is impedance. If you have the Bose system you want 2 ohm speakers, For the standard audio system you want to use no higher than 4 ohm speakers.

To upgrade the amplifier you need to use an adapter harness like this: Amazon.com: PAC AOEM-MAZ2 Interface That Allows Replacement or Addition of an Amplifier in Select Mazda Vehicles Without a Factory Bose Sound System: Car Electronics

Here is my aftermarket audio setup, upgraded all the interior speakers as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are several threads on upgrading the speakers, just do a search. The main thing to keep in mind is impedance. If you have the Bose system you want 2 ohm speakers, For the standard audio system you want to use no higher than 4 ohm speakers.

To upgrade the amplifier you need to use an adapter harness like this: Amazon.com: PAC AOEM-MAZ2 Interface That Allows Replacement or Addition of an Amplifier in Select Mazda Vehicles Without a Factory Bose Sound System: Car Electronics

Here is my aftermarket audio setup, upgraded all the interior speakers as well.
View attachment 84580
Yeah sorry I have have non Bose. So that adapter allows you to power the speakers from the amp as well correct? ie do you have a 6 channel amp in your setup with no splicing/refunding speaker wires? Or does it just provide the RCA connection? I've looked through most of those threads and didn't find these answers.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 124 ABARTH
790 Posts
Yeah sorry I have have non Bose. So that adapter allows you to power the speakers from the amp as well correct? ie do you have a 6 channel amp in your setup with no splicing/refunding speaker wires? Or does it just provide the RCA connection? I've looked through most of those threads and didn't find these answers.
My car came with the non-Bose as well. I'm running 5 channels: FR, FL, RR, RL, SW The front and rears are component speakers (woofer/teweeter) with dedicated x-overs.
I am using the same adapter I shared above in my car. The adapter gives you 4 RCA out for running a power amp.
The adapter does not allow you to just insert a new amp into the signal chain. You will need to run new wires or splice into the existing speaker wires.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My car came with the non-Bose as well. I'm running 5 channels: FR, FL, RR, RL, SW The front and rears are component speakers (woofer/teweeter) with dedicated x-overs.
I am using the same adapter I shared above in my car. The adapter gives you 4 RCA out for running a power amp.
The adapter does not allow you to just insert a new amp into the signal chain. You will need to run new wires or splice into the existing speaker wires.
Okay, and sounds like you just ran new wires instead of splicing? Wasn't sure how the factory wiring handled the crossover as it it didn't split the woofer/tweeter until after the TAU. Was curious if anyone has tried splicing or found an adapter to tap into those or if that's just a waste of time looking into.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 124 ABARTH
790 Posts
The factory speaker wires are tiny. I ran new wire as the new amps were much higher output than the factory.
See how thin the wire gauge is on the PAC asdapter? That is the same as the factory speaker wires.

·
Premium Member
2020 Fiat 124 Abarth, manual, Chiaro Silver, visability, navigation, convenience packages, brembos
53 Posts
I have the Bose but the door speakers still stink. Just added these (CDT CL-E6.2 6.5” cast mid/woofer) to my doors along with sone sound deadening tiles and foam. Great write ups for them, 2ohms (which matches the Bose perfectly) and still allows me to upgrade the pillar tweeters if I so desire. They are selling on CDT's refurbished site at 1/3 price the usual price. Can't report back yet on whether the improvement is as claimed.

·
Registered
2017 Red Spider Abarth
35 Posts
I have the Bose but the door speakers still stink. Just added these (CDT CL-E6.2 6.5” cast mid/woofer) to my doors along with sone sound deadening tiles and foam. Great write ups for them, 2ohms (which matches the Bose perfectly) and still allows me to upgrade the pillar tweeters if I so desire. They are selling on CDT's refurbished site at 1/3 price the usual price. Can't report back yet on whether the improvement is as claimed.
I did this and also updated the tweeters with some from Parts Express (along with crossovers for the tweeters). Really improved the sound. Used a harness from an RX-8 so I wouldn't have to cut any wiring.

·
Premium Member
2020 Fiat 124 Abarth, manual, Chiaro Silver, visability, navigation, convenience packages, brembos
53 Posts
I did this and also updated the tweeters with some from Parts Express (along with crossovers for the tweeters). Really improved the sound. Used a harness from an RX-8 so I wouldn't have to cut any wiring.
Great tip....

·
Registered
14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Upgraded front speakers, added a 400 watt amp, and put speakers in the cubbyholes. Now, I can actually hear music top down at speed.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Pretty much the same here except I went with 3K watts :cool:
I have no need for that much sound. Had a friend once with amps in his truck so big you could not hear each other talk even on the lowest volume setting. Give me good sound going down the highway and I'm happy.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 124 ABARTH
790 Posts
Seeing we are both in DFW we should meet up. Its not 'that much sound" it that much QUALITY sound. Even at high DB it is enjoyable because there is no distortion which is the main reason people say 'turn it down'. If I play music you like, Abba to Zappa, Bach to Rachmaninoff, Miles Davis or Patsy Cline, you will not even notice the 110db peaks (which is typical live venue levels) because it just sounds so damn good. I should have my new interior and seats in the first week of July. I'll look you up at the next Fiat meet.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Seeing we are both in DFW we should meet up. Its not 'that much sound" it that much QUALITY sound. Even at high DB it is enjoyable because there is no distortion which is the main reason people say 'turn it down'. If I play music you like, Abba to Zappa, Bach to Rachmaninoff, Miles Davis or Patsy Cline, you will not even notice the 110db peaks (which is typical live venue levels) because it just sounds so damn good. I should have my new interior and seats in the first week of July. I'll look you up at the next Fiat meet.
Do you come to the DFW Fiat Club meet ups? We are having one today at 11AM at Alfonso's Italian, 718 N Buckner, Dallas

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Upgraded front speakers, added a 400 watt amp, and put speakers in the cubbyholes. Now, I can actually hear music top down at speed.
I'm going with a 400 watt amp upgrade as well. But using bigger tweeters & replacing door speakers. Following most of the specs from the XR audio thread, found an amp & a DSP that will fit in those cubbies so I don't lose any storage space.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts