Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
My car is still in transport, arrival in late Feb or early March. I presume this means a late 2016 build. I don't want to take away from "azzura's" thread of returning the car due to paint problems, so I'm starting this thread.

My Classica will be red, Rosso, I guess it is called. Hopefully I won't have the same problems.

Can we get a show of hands? Model, approximate build date (if known) or delivery date, color, and whether you are experiencing issues with fragile paint that may be showing swirls and scratches, or if so far you have no problems with the paint.

Inquiring current and future owners need to know, thanks.

Steve.

·
Retired Moderator
676 Posts
I do not have the issues like Azzura has but I will say this...the Rosso Red requires some finesse from the get go...special care needs to be taken during the washing and drying...and most certainly do not rub the paint with a bare hand...this paint is some of the softest I have seen since the 1960's....it is very easy to scratch and put swirls in it and the non-metallic red is very unforgiving when it comes to those swirls being visible...

·
Registered
958 Posts
Aluminum Lusso delivered at the end of August. 10,000 miles on it. No paint issues.

·
Registered
615 Posts
No issues per se, but agree with Pure that you have to take a degree of care. For example rub off a smudge with a soft (dry) tissue and there will be a little swirl left behind...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Lusso, Grigio Argento, 5600 miles, purchase 4 Jul (currently garaged). No issues mechanically or with paint or installed options. To date...one oil change, installed Eurocompulsion V1 Air Induction Kit, Good-win RoadsterSport Quad exhaust and Go Fast DV+ Diverter.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone heard of issues with the Grigio Moda (meteor grey, the darker grey from the aluminum)? Do you own this color and is it holding up without problems? I could go for that darker grey, too. I think my rational, analytic mind already has. My emotional heart bleeds Rosso, though. Dammit.

Steve.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have been freaked out about Azzura's post. My husband washed my baby once with no issues. Then I parked under a tree with freakin' berries on it and all the birds ate the berries and you can guess the rest. I drove home and in heels got the hose and sprayed. Then realized I should dry it which I did with just cloth cotton bath towels. I swear I think I see one small swirl. My husband and son think I'm crazy. Color: Grigio Argento I went out today and bought microfiber and one of those towels that is supposed to dry a small car in a few minutes. We'll see.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have been freaked out about Azzura's post. My husband washed my baby once with no issues. Then I parked under a tree with freakin' berries on it and all the birds ate the berries and you can guess the rest. I drove home and in heels got the hose and sprayed. Then realized I should dry it which I did with just cloth cotton bath towels. I swear I think I see one small swirl. My husband and son think I'm crazy. Color: Grigio Argento I went out today and bought microfiber and one of those towels that is supposed to dry a small car in a few minutes. We'll see.
My typical rule of thumb is if the car leaves the house and starts to get dirty enough, I will spray if off but I will never take a towel to it after. I would rather it spot than possibly scratch the paint. Even with a good coat of wax/sealant.

In the winter if it is slightly dirty and it's too cold out I might do a 2 bucket rinseless wash, otherwise it's a 2 bucket wash or nothing. You need the lubricity that the chemicals provide to reduce the possibility of scratching and a shampoo that is ph balanced to reduce water spots.

For drying, I blow dry it off first with a master blaster. For towels, I use a great white drying towel and then finish it off with detail spray and a double or triple soft microfiber towel. I also recommend towels being separated and cleaned on their own in the washer on warm. Separating reduces the risk of cross contamination with product/dirt and helps with longevity.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Last night I went to the dealer to see a Grigio Moda (meteor gray, or dark gray metallic) Lusso automatic. I like it, it is a very classy color. I saw a red Lusso automatic parked outside under the parking lot lights, swirls galore. This morning I talked to the dealer and told them I'm switching the Classica base/manual from Rosso red to Grigio Moda gray. They have one coming in later this spring, it is being built this month. A happy side benefit is that the car will have never been exposed to MN winter and road salt, which is my #1 priority. I won't see it for a few months, but that's okay, 2 motorcycles will keep me busy in the meantime. And it gives me more time to make more space in the garage.

Steve.

·
Registered
7 Posts
A snowy 124 ?

Last night I went to the dealer to see a Grigio Moda (meteor gray, or dark gray metallic) Lusso automatic. I like it, it is a very classy color. I saw a red Lusso automatic parked outside under the parking lot lights, swirls galore. This morning I talked to the dealer and told them I'm switching the Classica base/manual from Rosso red to Grigio Moda gray. They have one coming in later this spring, it is being built this month. A happy side benefit is that the car will have never been exposed to MN winter and road salt, which is my #1 priority. I won't see it for a few months, but that's okay, 2 motorcycles will keep me busy in the meantime. And it gives me more time to make more space in the garage.

Steve.
Steve , I see your in Minnesota. Did you drive the 124 in the snow / winter ? Winter tires ?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I test drove an Abarth and a Classica, both manuals (yeah!), neither in my preferred color. I tested in early Feb, during a snow drought, so the streets were free of any snow or ice. A cold, sunny day, so the strees were bone dry, too. So, I would think I drove on the factory summer tires. If the roads would have been messy I don't think they would have allowed a drive.

Steve.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sharing some concerns with the Rosso paint. My Abarth had some imperfections -- possibly from the factory. One small scratch but a nasty one -- through the paint -- and some scuffs on the hood. The paint, while phenomenally gorgeous in color, does seem soft indeed.

I am talking to the dealer tomorrow to see where we can go from here.

Likely none of these issues will be problematic enough for me personally to try to return or exchange the car -- I just do not obsess with it too much, I am going to drive the wheels off the thing anyway. Nonetheless, if the problem is fundamental to one color, then it should be well documented and registered with the vendor/manufacturer. Perhaps they acknowledge it and may address it in the future somehow... I'll post in this thread if there are any useful news.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sharing some concerns with the Rosso paint. My Abarth had some imperfections -- possibly from the factory. One small scratch but a nasty one -- through the paint -- and some scuffs on the hood. The paint, while phenomenally gorgeous in color, does seem soft indeed.

I am talking to the dealer tomorrow to see where we can go from here.

Likely none of these issues will be problematic enough for me personally to try to return or exchange the car -- I just do not obsess with it too much, I am going to drive the wheels off the thing anyway. Nonetheless, if the problem is fundamental to one color, then it should be well documented and registered with the vendor/manufacturer. Perhaps they acknowledge it and may address it in the future somehow... I'll post in this thread if there are any useful news.
Geez, another Guzzi guy! Fiats... Guzzis... like a plague or something.

Steve.

·
Registered
248 Posts
No paint issues here, and I've run Laguna in the rain a couple of times now too. Here's a post Rainy Laguna pic compared to a post Track Day wash. Same day, mind you...

To be fair, I used Sonax Polymer Net Shield early in ownership, along with a good polish prior to the Polymer.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I really love Sonax Polymer Netshield. I typically apply a layer of Carnauba after just to add more oopmh to it for the time being.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a feeling that it may be the same Rosso Red as the ones found in the Alfa Romeo range - but I may be mistaken here.

I had the 147 in Rosso Red, and it was the softest paint I have ever come across. Swirls galore, but that ended up forcing me to pick up better detailing skills and after that - it was easy to maintain.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Too much Matt black!

Just had the front bumper painted around one headlight to correct overspray found after delivery, from the Matt bonnet (hood) paint...now with a slight concern over the Matt stripe width on the bumper. Under warranty, but going to go back to dealer. Anyone else have a Matt bonnet that doesn't fully line up with Matt paint on front bumper?

Also noticed some fine scratching to edge of boot lid (trunk) and wondering how to protect the Matt finish.
Top down today and yesterday.....3rd time since November delivery....paint looks great in the sunshine!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I washed and waxed my Bianca Gelato Lusso last week and have to say it's one of the better paint jobs I've seen on a new car. One thing I did do, though, was to tell the dealer NOT to wash the car. I figured that was just damage looking to happen.

I didn't notice ANY scratches or imperfections when I was detailing Little Spidee. Sadly, I know that won't last. :( This is only my second white car (the other was a Mustang) but I've noticed both whites were quite good.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts