Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I'm new to the forum and will be an owner shortly.

I've read multiple posts and articles about the lack of a spare tire. The closest I've seen to a solution is at http://www.124spider.org/forum/187698-post18.html.

Has anyone out there confirmed a donut that fits and operates on the car, especially without modifications? I'm really looking to have a spare on hand if/when I need it. I am not interested in debating fix-a-flat or calling AAA.

Thanks
Rich

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
There are spare tires (donuts) that do fit the wheels, and may fit in the trunk.

However, when I had a wheel off, I tried to fit it in the trunk; I couldn’t. So, even if you can get a spare in the trunk, where are you going to put the wheel you took off, if you have to use the spare? This was the reason I stopped looking.

Reactions: CXXIV

·
Registered
561 Posts
Solution!

There are spare tires (donuts) that do fit the wheels, and may fit in the trunk.

However, when I had a wheel off, I tried to fit it in the trunk; I couldn’t. So, even if you can get a spare in the trunk, where are you going to put the wheel you took off, if you have to use the spare? This was the reason I stopped looking.
5 donuts!

·
Registered
2,076 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
2012 Prius C has a donut with the came center bore & pcd as the 124. The only caveat is that the rear calipers rub. Fits front fine.

Reactions: Goaterguy

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
2012 Prius C has a donut with the came center bore & pcd as the 124. The only caveat is that the rear calipers rub. Fits front fine.
A few questions:

Rubs by how much? Would adding a spacer washer, or two, on the studs push the wheel out far enough to clear the caliper? Or is this suicide in the making?

Of course, the rear being the drive end of the car, the smartest thing to do would be... if a rear is the flat tire, mount the donut up front and move a good front to the rear.

Most importantly, does that Prius C donut fit inside the Spider trunk? I can't imagine there is a way to secure it inside the trunk.

Does Mazda have an ND generation donut for use with the Spider? (A very scant web search shows Mazda has no donut. Although Ebay claims there are. Shop at your own risk.)

Steve.

·
Registered
204 Posts

When you had the wheel off, was it fully inflated or flat? That might be the crucial difference. A previous car I had came with a donut, but there was no way the regular tire would fit into the spare tire well when it was inflated. But the one time I had to use the donut, it fit - it wasn't the easiest fit, but it did.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
When you had the wheel off, was it fully inflated or flat? That might be the crucial difference. A previous car I had came with a donut, but there was no way the regular tire would fit into the spare tire well when it was inflated. But the one time I had to use the donut, it fit - it wasn't the easiest fit, but it did.
No, it was inflated. I'm not sure how much smaller an uninflated tire is, but maybe it would be enough to fit.

·
Registered
204 Posts
No, it was inflated. I'm not sure how much smaller an uninflated tire is, but maybe it would be enough to fit.
Now we just have to find someone who would be willing to change the air in their tire to see. :)

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Now we just have to find someone who would be willing to change the air in their tire to see. :)
Actually---I just changed wheels, so my Abarth OEM rims and tires are currently sitting in the garage. I'll let air out of one this weekend and see if it fits.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Actually---I just changed wheels, so my Abarth OEM rims and tires are currently sitting in the garage. I'll let air out of one this weekend and see if it fits.
Thanks! I appreciate you doing this in the interest of (well not medical) but FIAT 124 science.

A friend I know from FIAT America, owns a 2017 Classic. He said he bought a 16" Miata wheel and tire and was able to get it into the trunk, but had to remove all of the trunk carpeting and padding. He said he duct-taped over all the sharp edges too. But otherwise, the tire wouldn't fit or maybe it was wouldn't fit laying flat (it was inflated - just so there's no confusion).

Larry

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Okay, tried to fit a standard Abarth OEM wheel with OEM tires. Deflated (doesn't deflate very much, but makes it marginally squishier).

Wont fit, needs about an inch off the wheel diameter. As @Cakewalk notes, you'd have to remove some trim to get it in. However, a donut spare may well fit without removing trim. I'll see if I can get some pictures.

Reactions: Cakewalk and CXXIV

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Just a thought, but if you didn't have a passenger, and had a protective bag, you could likely sit the flat tire in the passenger seat space. Or maybe there's now a reason to consider a trunk rack. Personally, I think I'll take my chances with a jack and tire plug repair kit... and if I'm really despirate, use my CMA membership. I'm thinking my biggest challenge might be locating the bloody accessory power port in the passenger side foot well so I can re-inflate the tire. lol

·
Registered
204 Posts
Okay, tried to fit a standard Abarth OEM wheel with OEM tires. Deflated (doesn't deflate very much, but makes it marginally squishier).

Wont fit, needs about an inch off the wheel diameter. As @Cakewalk notes, you'd have to remove some trim to get it in. However, a donut spare may well fit without removing trim. I'll see if I can get some pictures.
Just out of curiosity, have you ever had a chance to get those pictures? SpiderWoman just posted a few hours ago asking about a spare for a Lusso and well... inquiring minds want to know.

Larry

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Pictures. Not too great, but hopefully shows that it's the opening which is the issue, and the lining.

A narrower (donut?) tire likely fits, with perhaps only minor modification.

Note that this tire was flat, but could not compress the sidewalls enough to force it in without damaging the trunk lining/plastic.

The placing of the tire - to the right - seemed like the best opportunity to get it in: straight in was not going to fit.

Attachments

Reactions: Cakewalk

·
Banned
3,010 Posts
I’d just get a trunk mount like those used for bicycles and get an off road look haha

·
Registered
12 Posts
So is the 2019 Abarth a 4x98 or a 4x100 wheel? One of the threads in this forum said 4x98 Fiat but another said 4x100 Miata... I am new to Fiat and this is my daily commuter so I really want a spare... I’ve already found the factory jack that goes in the right-side cubby of the trunk on the Deyeme Racing website...

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
So is the 2019 Abarth a 4x98 or a 4x100 wheel? One of the threads in this forum said 4x98 Fiat but another said 4x100 Miata... I am new to Fiat and this is my daily commuter so I really want a spare... I’ve already found the factory jack that goes in the right-side cubby of the trunk on the Deyeme Racing website...
\ To my knowledge we are all 4x100 and some of us have the jack and other goodies to help in case of a flat, but no spare that I know of

1 - 20 of 27 Posts