Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

Do my civic duty for cleaner air

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I received a letter from FCA requesting that they do a federally mandated randomized test of my spider. The letter states this is a requirement by the government for all auto manufacturers to test a certain number of cars at one, and four years of age, regardless of mileage.

I would drop of the car at a dealership I’m assuming and they would then drive it to Columbus Indiana, do 75 miles of testing, then drive the car back. So roughly 600 miles would be put on the car. I would receive a fully insured rental with a full tank of gas and unlimited mileage. They would return my car with a full tank of gas. They would also give me a check for 500 dollars. The whole process would take 1 to 3 weeks.

So, anyone else get this letter? If so, did you participate?

I am curious how many takers they get. I daily drive my car, and it has snow tires. But do I want some rando driving my car? And how hard are they going to drive it to get the testing data. They say they just want to gather emissions data on a regular driving cycle.

I will add a poll. Count me in, or forgetaboutit

· Registered
2017 124 Classica
709 Posts
Those letters are legit, I've heard of them before. Never gotten one. I would say if your car is modded I wouldn't even bother calling them. Pretty sure they'd want it to be stock.

This is done to make sure their emissions equipment isn't failing early en masse, basically.

· Registered
27 Posts
Got one and promptly placed it in the circular file. No one drives my car but me.

· Registered
1,366 Posts
I wouldn't loan my car to someone I know except in a dire emergency. No way I'm gonna let some yahoo I've never met take my Moonracer for 1 to 3 weeks and put upwards of 300 miles on the clock driving in a manner I have no control over. Nope! No way! No Sirree Bob! Never gonna happen! Not on my watch!

· Registered
146 Posts
I wouldn't loan my car to someone I know except in a dire emergency. No way I'm gonna let some yahoo I've never met take my Moonracer for 1 to 3 weeks and put upwards of 300 miles on the clock driving in a manner I have no control over. Nope! No way! No Sirree Bob! Never gonna happen! Not on my watch!
I think it sounds kind of neat. And given that someone else destroyed my car while I was driving it… I’m thinking I’ll be more relaxed about things in the future. You never know how what will happen down the line! Live a little!

· Registered
1,366 Posts
I think it sounds kind of neat. And given that someone else destroyed my car while I was driving it… I’m thinking I’ll be more relaxed about things in the future. You never know how what will happen down the line! Live a little!
“sounds kind of neat” says the guy who’s car got schmucked and no longer has one to loan, and I truly am sorry about that. What others do with their cars is up to them. I’m just sayin’ it’s never gonna happen with any of my vehicles. And I am fairly well relaxed knowing my Abarth is out in my garage right where it belongs.
Quite honestly if ever did anything like that, loaned my Abarth for an extended period of time, I’d be nervous as a dogs shittin’ slivers the whole time it was gone.

· Registered
2,887 Posts
I'd do it if the testing was in Auburn Hills or at the EPA in Ann Arbor. Of course I'd drive there. And I'd drive home the same day.

· Registered
2017 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth, fully loaded from the factory, with just a wee bit of aftermarket mods.
3,539 Posts
First I've ever heard of such a thing, and aside from not being thrilled about someone else (or multiple someone elses) driving my vehicle... unless they were significantly compensating me to access my vehicle so they can meet federally mandated requirements that are mandated on them, and not the consumer of their products. Nope. Just nope. They should be getting their guinea pigs from lease returns at dealerships.

· Registered
146 Posts
“sounds kind of neat” says the guy who’s car got schmucked and no longer has one to loan
LOL. That's fair. So you heard I'm replacing mine with a Miata? Well... Despite the fact that it's new and loaded I'll let anyone borrow it! But that's not because I'm rethinking life - it's because I don't care about this car. I did really care about the Abarth and I can't honestly say if I'd have loaned it out or not... But the Miata, sure! Good grief are they ugly...

· Registered
1,366 Posts
LOL. That's fair. So you heard I'm replacing mine with a Miata? Well... Despite the fact that it's new and loaded I'll let anyone borrow it! But that's not because I'm rethinking life - it's because I don't care about this car. I did really care about the Abarth and I can't honestly say if I'd have loaned it out or not... But the Miata, sure! Good grief are they ugly...
Only drive it at night and don't ever turn the garage lights on, it'll be OK.

At least you'll be able to say you once dated the good looking sister. ;)

· Registered
146 Posts
Only drive it at night and don't ever turn the garage lights on, it'll be OK.

At least you'll be able to say you once dated the good looking sister. ;)
My friends try to tell me that driving it will be fine - I won't have to look at the ugly bits [the inside is "the same"]. But I don't like the Mazda emblem on the steering wheel. And I won't have Sport mode or turbo punch. And leather seats suck. Sigh.

· Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone. All great responses.

I always feel sorry the the person in the Miata when I drive alongside one.

Good point about using cars coming off of a lease. I would be surprised if they get any takers from current owners, especially during the winter months.

So I’m thinking I could negotiate a better deal. Say, flatbed truck to and from the testing facility, a thousand bucks vs five hundred, and a Julia Quad as my fully insured, unlimited mileage rental.

· Registered
2018 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth
2,670 Posts
I haven't received the letter. If I did I would gladly comply.

· Registered
33 Posts
I think it's ridiculous they're reaching out to customers for an emissions test. Why do they not have test vehicles? Did they not think of this while they were producing the car?
Sounds like poor management decisions to me. Handing out $500 isn't the answer, but that's just my opinion.

· Registered
2017 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth, fully loaded from the factory, with just a wee bit of aftermarket mods.
3,539 Posts
I think it's ridiculous they're reaching out to customers for an emissions test. Why do they not have test vehicles? Did they not think of this while they were producing the car?
Sounds like poor management decisions to me. Handing out $500 isn't the answer, but that's just my opinion.
Agreed. It seems very strange for a manufacturer to reach out to owners asking for vehicle donations to test out so they can check off their government compliance requirements. Even if they're offering $500, that's way too little in my opinion, to even consider it. Plus, now that they're out of production, I wouldn't be open to accepting the risk of something happening to the vehicle during transport or testing. Bugger that nonsense...

· Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know, right. Although we are talking about FCA, or should I say stelantis. Maybe after the Volkswagen scandal the government doesn’t trust them.

· Registered
2018 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth
2,670 Posts
Part of the problem is that not many Spiders were built. I believe a total of 5,000 units were sold in North America.

Also, FCA was found cheating on EcoDiesel emissions and forced to pay hefty fines, retrofit vehicles already sold, and compensate those customers. The entire thing ended costing FCA upwards of $1B, including legal fees. I remember reading that if Marchionne hadn't passed away, he would have been arraigned for emisions violations, just like VW executives were.

Separately, FCA failed to meet CAFE standards for a few consecutive years, having to pay $100M in fines each time.

So, yeah, FCA is not exactly on regulators' A-list.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts