Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about pulling the trigger on this, but I can't find any user impressions.
I am after the HP gain and better sound, but don't want to annoy the neighbors.
Also, I don't want tip diameters too large.
I currently have EC P1, EC V4 intake, and GFB DV+ on my MT Classica.
Amazon knock-off sound deadening tiles in the trunk.
Any feedback from those who have already installed is appreciated.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I just installed the full turbo back system one, and here's what I think so far:

- Cold start is definitely louder than stock, but with the resonator, it's not obnoxiously loud. It's more of a deep growl than anything.
- Tip diameter is basically slightly larger than stock.
- Sounds about stock cruising at 50 mph in 6th, but opens up when you step on it.
- Butt dyno feels like the turbo spools faster, but that's probably more a function of the Sport Cat.

So far I'm liking it, and the few that have heard it love the way it sounds. I still gotta experiment at different speeds, but it's pretty awesome so far.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just installed the SystemOne about 2 hours ago. Initial testing leaves a huge grin on my face! Very nice sound when you're on it and very sedate at cruise. It also feels like the turbo is spooling faster, but it could be just the initial excitement.

I got complements at the Burger King when I hit the drive thru for dinner.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm interested in reading up on this, too. I've been flopping back and forth between the System One and the full polished RoadsterSport. I like the idea of being able to swap the resonator in/out as I don't want to piss off the neighbors every morning. I'd have to do a resonated RoadsterSport instead.

My understanding is that you can't use the 2.5" crosspipe on a System One though, only the 2.25".

I've heard tons of RoadsterSport videos but I literally can't find anything about the System One.

Does the system still bang and pop? More than stock? I've owned my 124 Abarth for 6 months now and still can't figure out under what conditions the exhaust pops. And once the engine warms up the nice growl it has at idle goes away. I think RoadsterSport has more growl but not sure about pops. Any insight on the System One?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'm interested in reading up on this, too. I've been flopping back and forth between the System One and the full polished RoadsterSport. I like the idea of being able to swap the resonator in/out as I don't want to piss off the neighbors every morning. I'd have to do a resonated RoadsterSport instead.

My understanding is that you can't use the 2.5" crosspipe on a System One though, only the 2.25".

I've heard tons of RoadsterSport videos but I literally can't find anything about the System One.

Does the system still bang and pop? More than stock? I've owned my 124 Abarth for 6 months now and still can't figure out under what conditions the exhaust pops. And once the engine warms up the nice growl it has at idle goes away. I think RoadsterSport has more growl but not sure about pops. Any insight on the System One?
I used the RoadsterSport Crosspipe with it, it all fits as you can see below:

I went with the System One because of it's versatility of letting me choose if I wanted a resonator or not. I currently have the resonator in for daily driving purposes, and I'm loving the dual nature of this exhaust. It's quiet when cruising around, but when you get on it, it really opens up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What does the System One do to gas mileage. Of the exhaust systems I've look at this one seems to meet my requirements best. But I'm cheep and don't want to give up mileage.

·
Registered
208 Posts
You are willing to spend $1000 on an exhaust, but you are too cheap to possibly pay more for gas? That makes no sense.

An exhaust won’t affect your mpg in a negative way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hay, who said I was logical. The exhaust comes out of my fun money, the gas comes out of our budget. If you've been married for over 50 years you understand. Thanks.

·
Registered
254 Posts
What does the System One do to gas mileage. Of the exhaust systems I've look at this one seems to meet my requirements best. But I'm cheep and don't want to give up mileage.
It doesn't do anything to it unless you keep flooring it to hear the exhaust lol.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
It doesn't do anything to it unless you keep flooring it to hear the exhaust lol.
This. On a "casual" drive I usually get between 22-26 mpg. Totally the exhausts fault.

·
Registered
102 Posts
thanks to this my mpg went down a good amount >:)>:)>:)

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
More smiles per mile.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I used the RoadsterSport Crosspipe with it, it all fits as you can see below:

I went with the System One because of it's versatility of letting me choose if I wanted a resonator or not. I currently have the resonator in for daily driving purposes, and I'm loving the dual nature of this exhaust. It's quiet when cruising around, but when you get on it, it really opens up.
This is super awesome to know, thanks!

Regarding the sound - do you hear an increase in bangs and pops or is it strictly louder than the sad factory exhaust? I'm all for louder but I really want more bangs and pops, too.

·
Registered
254 Posts
This is super awesome to know, thanks!

Regarding the sound - do you hear an increase in bangs and pops or is it strictly louder than the sad factory exhaust? I'm all for louder but I really want more bangs and pops, too.
There's not really an increase in pops and bangs, I can just hear them a bit more. I haven't tried the pops and bangs tune, but from what others say, that sounds like gunshots lol. So yea, if you aren't tuned it's really just louder, but because of that, you might hear more pops and gurgles that you couldn't before, if that makes any sense lol.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I recently encountered a Spider driving through midtown with what had to be a pops and bangs tune, I can confirm it does sound like gunshots.

·
Registered
249 Posts
There's not really an increase in pops and bangs, I can just hear them a bit more. I haven't tried the pops and bangs tune, but from what others say, that sounds like gunshots lol. So yea, if you aren't tuned it's really just louder, but because of that, you might hear more pops and gurgles that you couldn't before, if that makes any sense lol.
Thanks, greatly appreciate it.

Don't need gunfire but maybe I can find a middleground somewhere with a tune. It seems now if I ride about 60% throttle up to 4,000 revs and then go WOT and pop the clutch to shift, it'll pop.

I feel robbed compared to a 500 Abarth!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I finished the install of the System One plus the 2.5" Roadster Sport cross-pipe. I am happy with both the looks and the sound. The sound is noticeably louder with cold start idle, but this quickly dies down to close to stock sound under idle. Then the throttle becomes your volume knob! Quiet at idle and cruise, but lets you know it is there under throttle. Nothing objectionable noise wise. I believe that I am feeling a torque and turbo spool-up improvement. Overall, I highly recommend this combo. Customer service at GWR is excellent.

Also, I am now getting pops on shifts under heavy throttle. I have EC phase 1 (but no pops and bangs option) and EC V4 intake. Is this normal? I am not complaining!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Some notes from my install:
- You need a deep well 6-point 12mm socket (available at Home Despot) to remove the nuts from the down-pipe. I used a 12-pt on the first one and stripped the flats, the factory nut is crap. I had to cut this nut with a Dremel, PIA. Second came off no problem with 6 point socket. Of course use some sort of penetrator fluid ahead of time. Replace the nuts with grade 10 nuts (which are larger OD) and lock washers (also available at HD).
- Apply soap to rubber hangers before trying to yank them off.
- I add trouble getting a seal between mid-pipe and cross-pipe. I finally was able to seal by propping up the back end of the midpipe (forward of resonator) with a block of wood between it and the cross-brace before tightening the clamps on the resonator. Then separate the slip joint as much as possible such that the rubber hangers and trying to pull the mid-pipe back and separate the cross/mid joint.
- Plan plenty of down time for your car before starting this. It took me a lot longer than I anticipated. Of course a lot of that was due to the stripped nut at downpipe.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts