Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
So did you end up installing the System One exhaust, after all? I forgot what other topic you mentioned you being dissatisfied with the System One hardware or something?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Installed the System One exhaust with the Roadstersport cross-pipe. The System One cross had the wrong thread, so I upgraded to the Roadstersport.
If I had to do over again, I would set aside more time and do the sportcat as well.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Installed the System One exhaust with the Roadstersport cross-pipe. The System One cross had the wrong thread, so I upgraded to the Roadstersport.
If I had to do over again, I would set aside more time and do the sportcat as well.
Something to check on if you have the resonator installed, mine was bumping and rubbing against the driveshaft, causing this to the resonator:

I only noticed because I started hearing a clunking noise in the back, and when I was inspecting stuff, I saw the driveshaft was bare. I installed the straight pipe and now I have more clearance, but the clamp might still hit the driveshaft, and the system is already so tightly installed that I can't get anymore wiggle room in this section. Just giving you a heads up.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Thank you for the heads up. Is there any method or way to fix the issue permanently? I plan on ordering the System One for my soon-to-be Abarth.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thank you for the heads up. Is there any method or way to fix the issue permanently? I plan on ordering the System One for my soon-to-be Abarth.
I don't know yet, I might try loosening up some of the exhaust bits and tightening them in a certain way to see if i get more clearance. For now, I'll just run the straight pipe until I get some time to mess with it more.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Something to check on if you have the resonator installed, mine was bumping and rubbing against the driveshaft, causing this to the resonator:

I only noticed because I started hearing a clunking noise in the back, and when I was inspecting stuff, I saw the driveshaft was bare. I installed the straight pipe and now I have more clearance, but the clamp might still hit the driveshaft, and the system is already so tightly installed that I can't get anymore wiggle room in this section. Just giving you a heads up.
Wow! Not good. I assume install is correct?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Wow! Not good. I assume install is correct?
As far as I can see, there's really only one way to install it, but I don't know, it's definitely a possibility that I tightened too much of the exhaust out of order or something, or I may just need to get a longer exhaust hanger that forces it down more. Maybe a combination of the two would work, but that resonator is much thicker than the straight pipe, so I'm just running that in the meantime.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Considering this exhaust... How do the tips look on an Abarth?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts

Ouch. Interested in Brian's take on this.

·
Registered
537 Posts

Did you get any feedback from the supplier? Looks like an exhaust that would appeal to many, including myself, but it does not fit properly, that would be a show stopper.

·
124 Spider Vendor
873 Posts
Every brand of Miata/Fiata midpipe we offer I can install so it clears, and I can install it so it hits something, the trick is in the install. True of our Racing Beat Midpipes, PPE Midpipes, RoadsterSport, Magnaflow, etc.

Thus, last thing we do during install is grab it and yank system in all directions and see if you can make it swing and hit something. If you can, we adjust clocking position of the bits until that does not happen. There is quite a bit of adjustment available with every setup we offer. If you look at the resonator in particular on System One, notice the flanges off it are not square to the unit, there is some angle to them. With that the clocking of the resonator gets important. We have installed dozens here and with some care taken on how all the pieces fit from the front to the back (adjust lay of ALL system pieces with all bolts just finger tight) you can get it all aligned where you want it. Then do final torque on the bits starting at the front and working back.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I used the RoadsterSport Crosspipe with it, it all fits as you can see below:

I went with the System One because of it's versatility of letting me choose if I wanted a resonator or not. I currently have the resonator in for daily driving purposes, and I'm loving the dual nature of this exhaust. It's quiet when cruising around, but when you get on it, it really opens up.
Um, you know you have the springs wrong on your crosspipe to midpipe connection in this pic, right?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Um, you know you have the springs wrong on your crosspipe to midpipe connection in this pic, right?
Lol yea, I took this picture before I corrected it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
As far as I can see, there's really only one way to install it, but I don't know, it's definitely a possibility that I tightened too much of the exhaust out of order or something, or I may just need to get a longer exhaust hanger that forces it down more. Maybe a combination of the two would work, but that resonator is much thicker than the straight pipe, so I'm just running that in the meantime.
I would take it to a good muffler shop. They should be able to diagnose and correct the issue.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I would take it to a good muffler shop. They should be able to diagnose and correct the issue.
I'm pretty sure it's just an install error on my part, but I've actually preferred the straight pipe to the resonator, so I just kept it with that. If I ever have to put the resonator back on for a track day, then I'll try messing with it some more, but for now, it's working like a champ with no rubbing issues with the straight pipe installed.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Good deal! It's nice when a plan comes together.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts