1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
958 Posts
I would bet good money that it is pretty much worthless. If you want to tune your car, you should use something produced by a company with a solid reputation in the tuning business.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would bet good money that it is pretty much worthless. If you want to tune your car, you should use something produced by a company with a solid reputation in the tuning business.
This one has been around a bit, which is why I asked. The AudiWorld board has a positive review, the Acura group does and there is a Bimmer group posting with dyno results that said it made no difference. I don't have much hope for it, and one disadvantage is you have to keep it plugged in. Regarding reputable names - considering I'd never heard of Eurocompulsion or 500Madness until I bought my 124 in September the Volo name is about equal in recognition to me. So - just seeking education.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Complete scam.

Reactions: Greg and hefbadr

·
Registered
958 Posts
This one has been around a bit, which is why I asked. The AudiWorld board has a positive review, the Acura group does and there is a Bimmer group posting with dyno results that said it made no difference. I don't have much hope for it, and one disadvantage is you have to keep it plugged in. Regarding reputable names - considering I'd never heard of Eurocompulsion or 500Madness until I bought my 124 in September the Volo name is about equal in recognition to me. So - just seeking education.
EuroCompulsion and Madness are companies with a reputation to protect. I have dealt with the people at EC before I knew them as EC when upgrading my '87 Alfa Spider (HPSI MotorSports). They are excellent vendors, and enthusiasts. I have not dealt with Madness much, but have met their people in Austin and they are also car enthusiasts, not just vendors of Chinese made trinkets. I would not hesitate to purchase from either one of these companies. They have a lot at stake, unlike some eBay vendors.

That's just my two cents worth.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I would put my money on confirmation bias. They spent the money and are now expecting things to be better, so they perceive that whether it's actually true or not.

Did anybody actually dyno their cars before and after, to see what the real difference was? "It feels so much faster" doesn't really mean much.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I would put my money on confirmation bias. They spent the money and are now expecting things to be better, so they perceive that whether it's actually true or not.

Did anybody actually dyno their cars before and after, to see what the real difference was? "It feels so much faster" doesn't really mean much.
I agree with Tom. More than likely a fly by night operation. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.
Remember snake oil???

Eurocompulsion and Madness are both new on my horizon, but since purchasing the 124, I have ordered from both, and both have demonstrated exemplary customer service, and products that perform as advertised. Do your research, and make your choice. This forum has plenty to offer to put you in the right direction....

·
Registered
115 Posts
Eurocompulsion and Madness are both new on my horizon, but since purchasing the 124, I have ordered from both, and both have demonstrated exemplary customer service, and products that perform as advertised. Do your research, and make your choice. This forum has plenty to offer to put you in the right direction....
Didn't EC recently post on this board that it is currently impossible to code the 124 via the OBD port due to DRM/Encryption?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Didn't EC recently post on this board that it is currently impossible to code the 124 via the OBD port due to DRM/Encryption?
That's what I remember., too, but I think this device gets spliced into the lines leading to the port (which is kind of scary) and it stays active and plugged in while you drive so it doesn't actually flash the ECU. Their website does have some details as to how it works and YouTube has videos of people installing it and comparing it side by side with "before" video. These go back to 2009 so I guess this company has been around at least that long. I'm guessing it doesn't do much.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I wonder what market this device is originally from. The fact that the home page says it now supports
Ssangyong vehicles pretty much ensures this is not originally a North American product.

Looking at the installation instructions, seems like some kind of an intercept module. Probably like putting a resistor across the coolant sensor on a Fox body Mustang back in the day.

Would be interesting to have someone try it out.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I really wouldn't spend the money on it. Especially if you look at actual tuner boxes, vast difference in price and probably for a reason

·
Registered
261 Posts
Typically, these devices do not change boost in anyway. They usually change spark advance and fuel. How it changes them, what it actually changes, and if it's even changing anything? I haven't the slightest clue.

These supposedly use "asynchronous serial communications", and not signal intercepting. But how that is actually carried out in the device to vehicle, again not the slightest clue. I see how this may benefit a normally aspirated vehicle, but on a turbocharged vehicle it may not net very much in terms of gains, if any at all. It would have to know exactly what values to change spark and fuel by, otherwise it could potentially be very dangerous.

·
Registered
115 Posts
From one of the threads:

The Volo Chip is not a sensor signal modifier. Instead, sensors are read normally by the ECU and only the ECU's calculated fuel delivery and timing values are altered. [snip]

The Volo Chip is an actual microprocessor that communicates with the ECU to safely increase fuel efficiency and power. The Volo Chip reads the ECU and only the ECU's calculated fuel delivery and timing values are altered
So, if I'm following that there is a way to read/write dynamic values for fuel and timing via OBD.

I guess there could be some changes that would make a difference - the rest of the sensor data is available from the OBD port but you would always be a calculation behind effectively. It'll be fine for tootling around but I don't know if it is worth a **** for performance purposes. I'd look elsewhere if you are interested in performance. Leaning the mixture out for fuel economy; this device might be able to do something.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts