Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all members,

It's been a while that I have been questioning myself about Turbo options for my classica. So I started investigating all the possible options and consider Garrett GT2554R it's the smallest ball bearing turbo on the market for garrett. The other options are stuffing the turbo with billet components like people around here do with fiat 500 or start an adventure, I know a guy in the island that converts regular Turbos to ball bearing. but first will get a spare turbo. Any suggestions???
Also the told me that billet conversion would be better than ball bearing because I would loose torque in the top end? any data supporting that? Because based on physics and some logic think ball bearing is the way to go.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Tork and Eddie installed a Garrett G25-550 in his Abarth. They are still in the tuning phase but it runs.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I know, but I'm looking on ball bearing maybe looking for faster spooling of the turbo to expand the power band
emm I thought we had ball bearing turbos already ???

If you want better top end without loosing the lower end torque then GPOP turbo is probably your best choice
My 1700s from speed motive already have a significant difference in spool
My turbo comes in full boost around 3800RPM, and starts spooling at 3000RPM
but my top end is superb

·
Registered
2,444 Posts

If you want better top end without loosing the lower end torque then GPOP turbo is probably your best choice
but my top end is superb
since it comes later on now, will you upgrade camshaft to extend redline to 7k?

·
Registered
962 Posts

but my top end is superb
The turbos available for this platform currently all have journal bearings. If some developes a Ball bearing turbo it will be substantially more expensive and what you gain performance wise will be minimal. Slightly lower boost threshold and they last longer than journal bearings.

·
Registered
648 Posts
You don’t need the camshaft to extend your redline to 7K.
@depotdan and @Spoolin32 both have their redlines set to 7K.
the cam shifts Your usable powerband higher in the rpm range.
Think my redline is 7200 or 7300 now. I try to shift at 6500 but often times find my self 7k+

the Eurocompulsion stuffed turbo and e85 tune makes fantastic power all the way up the rev range . I even had a chance to drive behind the tork dyno tuned 1750 turbo abarth 500 and he wasn’t pulling away from me. I actually felt I had more top end power even though that’s a bigger turbo. I really expected him to pull away knowing it was dyno tuned .

I’m a huge fan of the EC stuffed turbo.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I always wonder how this even possible, if I trying to switch close to red line I always quite hard to push into next gear((
i swapped out my lower plastic shifter bushing to a brass one made for the NC gearbox . It makes for a lot of play if you put the shifter in gear and move it around , but it clicks so perfectly and allows for much faster precise shifts while on the track. I made the switch because I struggled to heel toe / downshift from 5 to 4 and 3rd quickly without resistance .Wonder if this could help with up shifts as well. My car is only track driven, however this could work too on the street as long as you don’t rest your arm on the shifter you will have more play once in gear. But absolutely no issues of it popping out and it’s ridiculously precise , you hear and feel a click going into each gear with ease .
I am also running redline gear oil work a quart of shockproof .

https://5xracing.com/i-15909791-5x-racing-mazda-miata-bronze-shifter-bushings.html

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The turbos available for this platform currently all have journal bearings. If some developes a Ball bearing turbo it will be substantially more expensive and what you gain performance wise will be minimal. Slightly lower boost threshold and they last longer than journal bearings.
So you suggest to create a regular stuffed turbo with billet components rather than a stuffed turbo ball bearing? or simply change the turbo?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

but my top end is superb
Thanks but remember I'm from Puerto Rico and maybe it's more expensive to do that I rather evaluate prices in the island and then look outside.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
You don’t need the camshaft to extend your redline to 7K.
@depotdan and @Spoolin32 both have their redlines set to 7K.
the cam shifts Your usable powerband higher in the rpm range.
other than tune, what other mods if any are required for 7k?

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Think my redline is 7200 or 7300 now. I try to shift at 6500 but often times find my self 7k+

the Eurocompulsion stuffed turbo and e85 tune makes fantastic power all the way up the rev range . I even had a chance to drive behind the tork dyno tuned 1750 turbo abarth 500 and he wasn’t pulling away from me. I actually felt I had more top end power even though that’s a bigger turbo. I really expected him to pull away knowing it was dyno tuned .

I’m a huge fan of the EC stuffed turbo.
7200 or7300?! What is required??

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Getting back to the original topic. @Spoolin32 what would you recommend for occasional track and street driving for someone like me that would like the turbo to spool the turbo earlier? the garrett ball bearing turbo, converting OEM turbo to a stuff billet or converting the OEM to stuff ball bearing?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Getting back to the original topic. @Spoolin32 what would you recommend for occasional track and street driving for someone like me that would like the turbo to spool the turbo earlier? the garrett ball bearing turbo, converting OEM turbo to a stuff billet or converting the OEM to stuff ball bearing?
@Greg May be able to chime in on specifics but whatever the EC stuffed 1446 turbo is. It’s brilliant. I don’t feel the loss of usable low end but the car pulls like mad now . I struggled with cars like spec set up s2000 in the straights before now I walk away. At 1200 bucks , this mod is the first thing I would do. And I may end up doing this for my classica too

1 - 20 of 24 Posts