Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Crew car wash locally that I pay a monthly subscription for to get unlimited car washes on my other car, and I'm thinking of transferring that for the warmer months to the Fiat. It isn't a touchless car wash, but in the 50 or so times I've gone through it with the Cruze, it hasn't left a single scratch. That said, this is a convertible. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of going through car washes in a convertible? Those dryers blow air pretty hard.

·
Retired Moderator
676 Posts
Most cloth convertibles do not recommend the use of automatic car washes... I have not looked in the manual to see if this is the case...I just know that GM forbids it if you want to keep your warranty...I personally would not recommend it...

·
Administrator
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most cloth convertibles do not recommend the use of automatic car washes... I have not looked in the manual to see if this is the case...I just know that GM forbids it if you want to keep your warranty...I personally would not recommend it...
First time owning a convertible so I figured I'd ask, and I'm glad I did.

Hand washing it is!

·
Registered
157 Posts
What??! That's Blasphemy..

I have a Crew car wash locally that I pay a monthly subscription for to get unlimited car washes on my other car, and I'm thinking of transferring that for the warmer months to the Fiat. It isn't a touchless car wash, but in the 50 or so times I've gone through it with the Cruze, it hasn't left a single scratch. That said, this is a convertible. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of going through car washes in a convertible? Those dryers blow air pretty hard.
Just kidding... the car is so small, you can give it a lick and a promise with one. Of these, using the two bucket method.
Grandpa. Bill

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Microfiber-Wash-Mop-with-48-Extension-Pole/45016324?action=product_interest&action_type=title&beacon_version=1.0.2&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&client_guid=0aa9153d-5a89-44cb-8304-69d5e081853d&config_id=2&customer_id_enc&findingMethod=p13n&guid=0aa9153d-5a89-44cb-8304-69d5e081853d&item_id=45016324&parent_anchor_item_id=35841539&parent_item_id=35841539&placement_id=irs-2-m2&reporter=recommendations&source=new_site&strategy=PWVAV&visitor_id=AZzPLxWy5dMfzcYv-AG4dA

And it would be better the damaging It in the car wash
:)

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have an unlimited car wash service at a local gas station. It's a touchless wash, which is perfectly fine for our cars.

·
Registered
958 Posts
The manual recommends not using an automatic car wash. You can use an automatic car wash and it won't destroy your car, but you don't want to use a high pressure spray on the fabric top. Since I can hand wash it quicker than I can drive to a car wash, that's what I do. Special care should be used on the fabric top, if you want it to last any amount of time.

·
Retired Moderator
676 Posts
the manual states "Do not use automatic car washing machines and car washing devices using high water pressure."...all of the automatic car washes I have been through that are touchless use high pressure water...best be careful...it may not cause a problem...but if it does you can bet they will fight a warranty claim if they know you have been using a car wash on it...just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
727 Posts
You should rarely use soap on a canvas top. Just rinse it. Even worse? Automatic car wash wax.

Soap and/or car wash wax will shorten the life of your top.

The drive-through car wash is not your friend.

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
Automatic car washes are pure evil.

·
Administrator
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Automatic car washes are pure evil.
In the northern midwest, unfortunately a necessary evil. I should snag a few pictures of the Cruze as it sits before it starts raining; it is literally covered with salt. It's caked on, after only one day's drive. The 124 Spider will be parked during the winter for this reason, but if cars sit too long with salt on them around here, they turn to swiss cheese in no time, and I'm not bringing a bucket out when it's 20 degrees outside.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ok I'll be the first to admit...this being my first convertible as well, I did in fact use a touchless car wash BEFORE reading the manual. As it was operating I realized it was spraying soap, wax, protector and what ever other chemicals come with the "ultimate wash" I purchased all over the top. Something clicked in my head that this may be not good so when I pulled out I immediately turned into the next self service bay and used the spot free option to really clean the top. I was amazed at how much soap/wax/etc was coming out still. Very glad I had this brain fart moment and caught it. Washed a lot more soap out of the canvass then I expected.

Moral of the story - Purchased a garden hose connection thingy from autozone that you load the soap in and it uses a filter attachment so I can wash Scarlet with soft water and no minerals/etc. Will be enjoying do so at home from now on. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I took my 2008 Saab 9-3 convertible through a car wash (one of those soft cloth ones that looks like a mop) all the time - never had a problem. The top didn't leak at all during the wash and the top framework did not get compromised. Used to hand wash only for the first year or 2 until I asked a guy putting his 6 series convertible through the car wash if he had any problems after the car wash and he said no. When I traded my Saab in for the 124 more than one dealer commented on how nice the condition my top was and asked if it was original.

The main reason I wanted to use the car wash was to get the undercarriage cleaned after a long winter here in CT. The Saab and now the 124 is my daily driver and will get filthy during the winter.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I used frequent automatic car washes on my previous BMW convertible, my Solstice, and other cloth tops over time including my MGB. (I didn't do that exclusively, but relatively frequently.)
Never had a problem and the tops always looked just fine. Haven't done so yet on my 124, but the car is so small and easy to wash that going to a DIY wash bay is no problem. But - I do use the brush and soaps on the top and after 9000 miles the top looks absolutely brand new. So i don't think there is a reason to be fanatic about it as long as the automatic wash is a quality setup.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts

The main reason I wanted to use the car wash was to get the undercarriage cleaned after a long winter here in CT. The Saab and now the 124 is my daily driver and will get filthy during the winter.
Just go to the diy wash, rather than the automatic and use the sprayer, there, to get the undercarriage (tricky, with a low car).

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I have a police pusher bar on my suburban with a couple of lights mounted on it.

Went through the auto car wash the other week; heard a faint clunk from the front as the vertical mop went around the front of the car. After the wash, took a look and there were several deep gouges in the hard plastic on the bar, a 2 to 3 inch chunk of plastic had broken off the edge of the bar, and one of the lights was seriously misaligned.

While this is a mounted 'accessory', and thus the car wash not responsible, it demonstrates that things can go wrong with the mechanical automated system that a car wash is.

So...I aint putting no Spider through the car mangler.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have a police pusher bar on my suburban with a couple of lights mounted on it.

Went through the auto car wash the other week; heard a faint clunk from the front as the vertical mop went around the front of the car. After the wash, took a look and there were several deep gouges in the hard plastic on the bar, a 2 to 3 inch chunk of plastic had broken off the edge of the bar, and one of the lights was seriously misaligned.

While this is a mounted 'accessory', and thus the car wash not responsible, it demonstrates that things can go wrong with the mechanical automated system that a car wash is.

So...I aint putting no Spider through the car mangler.
Ouch. Several years back, I watched my "other" car roll out of the car mangler with a bolted-in front license plate bent over at an extreme angle. It could have been worse. I'm not taking a chance with Little Spidee. She might come out missing a leg or two. ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts