Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
"However, the part of the announcement that will be more exciting to some is that both technologies "should be retroactively upgradeable onto all Mazda Connect systems with a potentially minimal hardware addition needed," Mazda spokesperson Jacob Brown said."

Nice!

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Its March so it must be time for Mazda's annual 'we're committed to Carplay' statement.

Of course, Toyota just announced it'll be available in their 2019 models and Mazda are rumored to by licensing Entune from Toyota so that might be the new plan and would probably mean it'll never now be back ported to Mazda Connect cars as they were claiming was going to happen this time last year. Even if it does get back ported, we then have to get FCA and Mazda to make it available on the Spider.

I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I had an aftermarket CarPlay Radio in my Tacoma before I bought Lola. When I got her, the first thing I did was start prowling the web looking for more news on the CarPlay front... You know what? After 9 months I really don't miss CarPlay as much as I thought I would. Lola has Sat Radio and Nav, she can RECEIVE text messages and BlueTooth calls work fine. While CarPlay was an amazing upgrade to a pickup that originally only had AM/FM, I'm not sure I'm missing all that much with what Lola has now.

And I can leave my phone in my pocket if I want. Can't begin to tell you how many times I had to run back out to my truck to get my phone...

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I tend to try to ignore email and text in the car. I am a big fan of 'Hey Siri - navigate to...'

The Mazda (and most OEM) voice recognition sucks - particularity if you have a Scottish accent.

·
Registered
274 Posts
If I recall correctly, Fiat had promised Car Play in Abarths for 2018 but when I asked my salesman he told me that it hadn't been implemented yet when my A124 was produced.

In any event, I have my iPhone on a mount right next to the car's screen. Kind of a poor man's Car Play.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Mazda announced Carplay and Android Auto as a retroactive update today, but only for 2018 Mazda 6's. The Mazda internet channels are awash with seething owners who were promised it on 2016 cars onwards.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Mazda announced Carplay and Android Auto as a retroactive update today, but only for 2018 Mazda 6's. The Mazda internet channels are awash with seething owners who were promised it on 2016 cars onwards.
Funny, in the sense that I bought my Abarth at the first of the year and when I asked the salesman about it he said that Fiat was slow to implement it but it would be forthcoming and most probably retroactive.

Yeah, and the checks in the mail...

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'm still kinda mixed about Android Auto. It's very voice focused, which I'm not accustomed to yet, and the layout of it still feels weird. I'd probably tolerate it more if I could get the Torque app displayed on the screen, but for now, I kinda still prefer the Mazda Connect system :confused: ...

·
Registered
550 Posts
I had a Hyundai as a renter in So Cal a few weeks ago... their system ran both android and carplay....
seems weird that they could easily do both and for whatever reason our cars can do neither.

oh well....

not holding my breath for anything to change anytime soon

·
Registered
255 Posts
so I have a mazda 6 2017, and also a 2018 pacifica.
And of course my Fiat 124.. (which is the best of the lot!)

I have the full navigation packages on all 3 vehicles.
the 2018 pacifica has Android Auto.

Mazda 6 and Fiat 124 are basically the same thing as far as nav / features go.

Cutting to the chase.

I see little to no value in having the Android Auto in the Pacifica. I used it a few times. Maybe Im missing the point.
The chrysler Uconnect setup is much better compared to mazda experience.
However Id choose either over Android Auto.

I personally don't see why this is a big deal..

Anyway. Forums are for opinions.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
so I have a mazda 6 2017, and also a 2018 pacifica.
And of course my Fiat 124.. (which is the best of the lot!)

I have the full navigation packages on all 3 vehicles.
the 2018 pacifica has Android Auto.

Mazda 6 and Fiat 124 are basically the same thing as far as nav / features go.

Cutting to the chase.

I see little to no value in having the Android Auto in the Pacifica. I used it a few times. Maybe Im missing the point.
The chrysler Uconnect setup is much better compared to mazda experience.
However Id choose either over Android Auto.

I personally don't see why this is a big deal..

Anyway. Forums are for opinions.
Here's the difference:

With Carplay: "Hey Siri, navigate to 123 Main Street, Sometown". Siri: "OK, navigating to 123 Main Street, Sometown"

With Mazda/Fiat/Anyone Else OEM system: "Navigate to 123 Main Street, Sometown". OEM System: "OK, playing album Zooropa by U2".

·
Registered
742 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Here's the difference:

With Carplay: "Hey Siri, navigate to 123 Main Street, Sometown". Siri: "OK, navigating to 123 Main Street, Sometown"

With Mazda/Fiat/Anyone Else OEM system: "Navigate to 123 Main Street, Sometown". OEM System: "OK, playing album Zooropa by U2".
This is your own fault for having Zooropa in your library. No one should bother with any U2 post-Joshua Tree.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
This is your own fault for having Zooropa in your library. No one should bother with any U2 post-Joshua Tree.
No,no,no. Zooropa was when it went off the rails - hence my choice of example of OEM systems making poor decisions.

Auchtung Baby was the best album they did.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I just say no to U2. Literally change the channel when it comes up on XM. Can't stand them, it's a matter of principle for stiffing their album down everyone's throat that had an iPad/Phone with iTunes.

Also for raising 100 million "for charity" and only giving 1%.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts