Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
FWIW, I like having CarPlay but I could live without it. I much prefer the factory navigation over using Google maps or Waze. With the top down the Google screen is almost impossible to see in sunlight. I find it much easier to zoom in and out with the factory nav. I use it for playing my music and the factory system will do the same thing. I guess driving and interacting with phones at the same time is much more a millennial thing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
FWIW, I like having CarPlay but I could live without it. I much prefer the factory navigation over using Google maps or Waze. With the top down the Google screen is almost impossible to see in sunlight. I find it much easier to zoom in and out with the factory nav. I use it for playing my music and the factory system will do the same thing. I guess driving and interacting with phones at the same time is much more a millennial thing.
I just think that fiat is being lazy and not showing any interest in keeping their customers happy, the work they need to do for this to happen is minimal. A lot of people like CarPlay and it would add to its resale value imo.

I’m coming from an Audi s3, which Imo has the nicest navigation/integration of any car, but i still preferred using Waze when I needed to get somewhere on time.

I’ve just had the car for a few days, I’ll probably get over it soon, just thought it would be nice to have and simple for fiat to do.

·
Registered
2017 Spider Abarth AT
531 Posts
I like the Apple interface more than the Fiat Connect one. I can do more, more quickly with a similar interface between the car and my phone. And I’m a (OK) Boomer. ?

Reactions: dave83

·
Registered
262 Posts
I like the Apple interface more than the Fiat Connect one. I can do more, more quickly with a similar interface between the car and my phone. And I’m a (OK) Boomer. ?
Honestly, I think the value comes less from UI design and more from the support. The phone manufacturers are creating and supporting this software tightly with their OS and the apps running on it. Our headunits will never see an update, and even the Mazda ones will just see tweaks. We will continue seeing improvements, new features, and additional app support through CarPlay and Android Auto.

That said, I do wish Android Auto's new update had taken more consideration to hardware/non-touch interface users. It is a bit of a pain to navigate with the wheel now compared to how it was on the old version (e.g. there are fewer gestures). Couldn't care less about the touch screen though - I didn't even know our head units had a touch screen for months after I bought the car.

·
Registered
79 Posts

• The factory Sat Nav is neither complicated or inefficient to use.
Compared to CarPlay, the factory navigation is inefficient and complicated when it comes to entering destinations. Would you rather use your voice ("take me to the nearest Home Depot") to find a destination, or have to pull over so you can type in an address or scroll through the point of interest list that that may not exist in the database? Also, with CarPlay navigation you don't have to worry about having out of date maps since Apple maps data is updated in real time. You don't have to worry about paying for map updates when the free ones run out,

Reactions: wrh3 and dave83

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
If you have a twitter account, please send a message to @ FiatCares or post a comment in one of their new posts here

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Compared to CarPlay, the factory navigation is inefficient and complicated when it comes to entering destinations. Would you rather use your voice ("take me to the nearest Home Depot") to find a destination, or have to pull over so you can type in an address or scroll through the point of interest list that that may not exist in the database? Also, with CarPlay navigation you don't have to worry about having out of date maps since Apple maps data is updated in real time. You don't have to worry about paying for map updates when the free ones run out,
I guess it's each to their own where Sat Nav is concerned. I often use the in-built voice commands to navigate, if not I can easily dial in the destination. I find the larger screen easier to use than mobile phone. The maps rarely, if ever, have been out of date..... if it's significant I just update them. I don't worry about money (if I did then I wouldn't be driving a £20k+ car !!!). The two main reasons I prefer the in-built unit is that I get real time up-to-date traffic data without the need for a GPS signal and I don't need to utilise my phone along with any associated hardware and software to navigate.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I think this is 'p*** in the wind' so to speak. Fiat have no obligation to do this, let alone spend resources on doing it. The bottom line is that if you want carplay then buy a car with carplay. If one is desperate to add it, then it’s possible, but you are on your own (sort of, just no support from fiat).

Reactions: CXXIV and Arthur

·
Registered
2017 Spider Abarth AT
531 Posts
UPDATE 02/05. I emailed CarPlay2Air regarding the status of my order. They replied quickly and explained that they are currently awaiting a restocking order from Hong Kong. Unfortunately the order is hung up in the Coronavirus quarantine. They are hopeful that the order will arrive on Feb. 9th. If that happens, my order will go out on the 10th. So I probably won’t see my unit for another two weeks or so. Will update when I have any further news.

Reactions: Mike34

·
Registered
2,358 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Personally, I don't like either systems. I would like to see an Android system similar to a traditional notepad/tablet. Using web browsers you could open multiple windows including navigation, LIVE WEATHER RADAR, music, system monitoring, messaging, all at the same time. Download apps that don't need CarPlay to run. I have used an inexpensive tablet with all that running and it works great. Simple monitor change out and a USB modula.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Using web browsers you could open multiple windows including navigation, LIVE WEATHER RADAR, music, system monitoring, messaging, all at the same time
Why do you want this on an 8" screen? And why would you want to run web apps instead of native apps?

Android Auto, aside from suffering from brain damage weekly, is great. You should be focused on the road.

·
Registered
2017 Spider Abarth AT
531 Posts
Reactions: Mike34

·
Registered
11 Posts
I put in a 32GB USB mini thumb drive which holds over 4000 song files (I listen to Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, and Mahler too) and the navigation around it is easy. Plus the factory system plays AAC, MP3, even stripped youtube audio.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here is a new mailing received yesterday from FIAT. Very deceptive advertising showing the Infotainment System featuring CarPlay with the Spider. I believe that system is actually from the 500X shown lower right.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow, that is misleading to say the least.

CarPlay now comes standard on the 2020 MX-5
Gotta say, I spent a while comparing the Miata and the Spider before buying.
This would have been a serious point in the Mazda column if I were shopping now.
Not enough to sway me, but it would have made the decision tougher.

But big thanks to @68wooley and @ameridan for bringing CarPlay to us well before Fiat.
My first time using CarPlay on the way to work, it suggested I take a an alternate route to avoid a traffic jam.
My first time using the factory satnav on the way home from the dealership, it suggested I drive my car through a wall!

·
Registered
2017 Spider Abarth AT
531 Posts
Here is a new mailing received yesterday from FIAT. Very deceptive advertising showing the Infotainment System featuring CarPlay with the Spider. I believe that system is actually from the 500X shown lower right.
View attachment 75680
Yeah...that ain't no 124 Spider infotainment system, and it is extremely deceptive advertising. You might want to forward that to your state's consumer protection agency and point out that NO Fiat 124 Spider, any model, any year from 2017-2020 has Apple CarPlay available from Fiat either as standard equipment or as an option. As we all know, the only way to get AA/CarPlay on our Spiders is to get the upgraded USB hub from either Mazda, or a third-party Internet seller, then install v70.00.100A Mazda infotainment software and the new hub. At least they didn't take one of the pictures of a Spider with the Mazda kit installed (and there are many on this forum) and use that in the ad. As I mentioned above, the system pictured in the ad is most definitely NOT from a 124 Spider. smh :mad::confused:

·
Banned
8 Posts
Still don't get what's the issue with the Apple app. It's working even better after the recent updates. Anyone having issues?I'm aware that most of us want everything to be done and that Apple seems to not care but if you look deeper into it, you will find apps that really bypass legally their restrictions with no further fees. I have my new Audi not being so friendly to my iPhone. I'm that kind of guy that wants fresh tunes every day and music apps are a must in my car. Now, the only ones that can deliver have created carbridge ios download that can allow you to really relax and enjoy the ride with no limits.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm new to the community, I don't know if this was done before, but I think it would be great if we could ALL email FCA requesting a firmware update/retrofit cable to get carplay working without having to "hack" the car. I would even be willing to pay fiat for the retrofit kit/service (~$250ish)

It's not just about better navigation, it's about having access to a better/nicer interface, siri, messages, audiobooks, etc.

(It might also add some kind of resale value)

What do you think?
YEP. BIG reason why I didn't buy the Fiat/Mazda and instead got a fun new 2017 C7 Corvette with a manual transmission back in 2017.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts