Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

Registered
YEP. BIG reason why I didn't buy the Fiat/Mazda and instead got a fun new 2017 C7 Corvette with a manual transmission back in 2017.
How nice of you to come here to tell us that. How did you happen to find this thread? Hope you're enjoying your Corvette. I still think the C7 looks better than the C8.

Registered
YEP. BIG reason why I didn't buy the Fiat/Mazda and instead got a fun new 2017 C7 Corvette with a manual transmission back in 2017.
Here the saying goes, Grosse Corvette petite quequette, meaning Big Corvette small Dick, so go and show your small Dick to your fellow friends. Have fun there.馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ

Registered
I have recently tried to avail myself of the free map update through FCA. After a lot of quite difficult communication (i.e. I communicated, FCA didn't), in the end they have told me that they no longer support map updates for this model (through their 3rd party supplier). My car is 3 years old, with 3 year old maps...I just can't live with that and so the ApplePlay route will have to suffice, though it is not without it's difficulties installing and frustrations using. Given that FCA no longer support map updates for this model, I would have thought they might be inclined to offer an alternative.

Registered
Hi Walshy... Fiat are telling you a load of B*****ks !!! Map updates are well documented on this forum. If you car is a UK under 3 years old then you have map updates available.... lastest issued in December 2020. It is documented in the owners manual and on the map update website the if you don't have access to a computer then your Fiat dealer will carry out the update for you.

Registered
Hi Arthur, I have tried on many occasions to carry out the free update and it is not working, I get error messages, SD card not big enough messages and you cannot even get into the manage content area of the download...it is quite a recent thing as far as I can see. I contacted my Abarth dealer, he could not do the work either, they told me they had been instructed to direct queries in this regard to FCA. I had the car in for a service last week and the service manager trued for me again, to no avail. I had a long dialogue with FCA, the outcome of which is in my earlier post. It will be interesting to see if anybody has got any actual experience. I know what I should be able to access, I just can't...this is Fiat after all.

Registered
OK. So for my latest update I had error message "SD card insufficient space" as you have noted. So I purchased a 32GB card, copied my SD card onto the 32GB then updated without issue. As have many others on this forum. The maps used to fit on the original card but now it requires a larger card. I now have all of the EU and Russia. Works a treat.

Registered
I tried that, but it wouldn't work, odd. But regardless, I wonder why then, FCA are directly informing people that they aren't supporting this anymore, it's disgraceful. That seems like a simple fix to me, I even asked them to send me a replacement on a bigger card, which they wouldn't do. Frustrating, but thanks for the response.

Registered
I tried that, but it wouldn't work, odd. But regardless, I wonder why then, FCA are directly informing people that they aren't supporting this anymore, it's disgraceful. That seems like a simple fix to me, I even asked them to send me a replacement on a bigger card, which they wouldn't do. Frustrating, but thanks for the response.
It's also all a bit late now, as I have kicked off the CarPlay install. To be honest, I use CarPlay in my daily driver and I love it.

Registered
OK. So for my latest update I had error message "SD card insufficient space" as you have noted. So I purchased a 32GB card, copied my SD card onto the 32GB then updated without issue. As have many others on this forum. The maps used to fit on the original card but now it requires a larger card. I now have all of the EU and Russia. Works a treat.
Hi Arthur, so I purchased a 32GB SD card and you are absolutely correct, it works fine, I am downloading the update now, it will be a great back-up to CarPlay. I had thought the SD card was locked to the VIN, obviously not, it is the software on it! I鈥檓 pretty annoyed and will let FCA know that, but you were spot on. What I cannot understand is why FCA would tell a customer a complete 鈥榣oad of [email protected]#lloc*s鈥. But thank you for pointing that out. I know you like the system, I don鈥檛 like it at all, though I accept it 鈥榙oes the job鈥.

Registered
The SD card IS locked to the VIN (after 100km/63 miles). It will only work in your car..... however you can still copy the files to a new card (which will only work in your car !!!). Fiat know very little about the 124 Infotainment system as it's a legacy Mazda unit. Still no reason for them to lie you you !!!

Super Moderator
FCA is a non-service company. Maybe the worst ever.
I think the best way would be a group 鈥減lay date鈥 with several cars being updated together step by step. It would be a great club event.
Best regards
Pete

Premium Member
I think the best way would be a group 鈥減lay date鈥 with several cars being updated together step by step. It would be a great club event.
Best regards
Pete
I think that's a great idea! Or even a few "regional" folks who could perform the installation in return for receipt of some coin of the realm. This is one of those things I'd personally be willing to pay for having done by someone who has prior experience in going through the entire process. Either would be a nice option for folks who have a desire to CarPlay or AndroidAuto.

Registered
2017 Abarth 124 Spider
I think that's a great idea! Or even a few "regional" folks who could perform the installation in return for receipt of some coin of the realm. This is one of those things I'd personally be willing to pay for having done by someone who has prior experience in going through the entire process. Either would be a nice option for folks who have a desire to CarPlay or AndroidAuto.
I agree with this...and it's an opportunity for folks if they have this expertise.

Registered
I have Car Play on my Jeep. I don't understand the appeal of it. I never use it. I just play music through my bluetooth.

Registered
I have Car Play on my Jeep. I don't understand the appeal of it. I never use it. I just play music through my bluetooth.
I am just used to Apple interfaces, I find them very intuitive, I also intensely dislike the FCA interface, it鈥檚 clunky, old fashioned and distinctly out of kilter with what is otherwise a great car. The road updates are costly as well, though I accept it does the job and that it is all about opinions.

Registered
I'm new to the community, I don't know if this was done before, but I think it would be great if we could ALL email FCA requesting a firmware update/retrofit cable to get carplay working without having to "hack" the car. I would even be willing to pay fiat for the retrofit kit/service (~$250ish)

It's not just about better navigation, it's about having access to a better/nicer interface, siri, messages, audiobooks, etc.

(It might also add some kind of resale value)

What do you think?
My radio kept going out and had to wait for it to go out completely before they would warranty it. What a bunch of losers fiat , they figure it is cheaper to replace it then program it. As usual step over dollars to pick up pennies.

Registered
My radio kept going out and had to wait for it to go out completely before they would warranty it. What a bunch of losers fiat , they figure it is cheaper to replace it then program it. As usual step over dollars to pick up pennies.
Their cars can be wonderful, their service never is, it has never changed.

Registered
Best regards
Pete
It's a good idea. There's a few areas - Austin, SoCal and parts of Florida come to mind, where there's probably enough cars around to make this worthwhile. Elsewhere I suspect we're a little too thin on the ground.

That said, if anyone is looking to do it in the Colorado Front Range area, I'm always available to help.

Registered
Best regards
Pete
This reminds me of my days in the GM F-Body club in Austin; we鈥檇 gather together and have 鈥淶aino Days鈥, in which we鈥檇 all get together and detail a bunch of cars at once. When 4 or 5 people are working on a car, things get done quickly. We鈥檇 also throw 鈥漜am and heads鈥 parties or 鈥渉eader install鈥 parties. I even hosted a clutch changing party for my own car. It was a blast.

Registered
2017 Abarth 124 Spider
I'd second SoCal...could likely drive down for that. #roadtrip

41 - 60 of 60 Posts