Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

Apple CarPlay Mass Request

20K views 59 replies 25 participants last post by  Prosecco 
#1 ·
I'm new to the community, I don't know if this was done before, but I think it would be great if we could ALL email FCA requesting a firmware update/retrofit cable to get carplay working without having to "hack" the car. I would even be willing to pay fiat for the retrofit kit/service (~$250ish)

It's not just about better navigation, it's about having access to a better/nicer interface, siri, messages, audiobooks, etc.

(It might also add some kind of resale value)

What do you think?

#5 ·
Unfortunately some of us have cars with the most recent factory firmware that requires a somewhat complicated and involved hardware hack that must be performed prior to modifying the software. Unless off course someone has recently come up with a workaround that doesn’t require the hardware hack (tapping into ports on the CMU, soldering jumpers, etc). Qoute from Americans great blog: “If you have a 2018 or 2019 with the version 59 firmware already installed (or your dealer updated you to it during a service), there is an alternative method of installing the patch described at Serial Connection which is much more involved, but currently it remains your only option.”

Reactions: dave83
#4 ·
I badgered FCA customer support about this via calls and survey responses for quite awhile in the past. As with other owners, I’m willing to pay for an upgrade similar to what Mazda offered (I took advantage of this for my 2016 Mazda CX-5). CarPlay offers a simpler, safer, and more effective interface than the stock factory functionality. I can see myself getting into an accident while futzing around with the complicated and inefficient factory nav system.

#6 · (Edited)
There was a lot of talk that went around the forum about this about a year ago. The consensus: FCA is just not interested in providing an AA/CarPlay retrofit or upgrade kit. It is unfortunate but what many of us have come to understand is FCA's SOP: Crummy support.

It's true that those of us with '17 and early '18 models had a relatively easy time installing the s/w that was needed for the retrofit via the USB port. The h/w is a two-hour or less install...the parts basically come apart like Legos. It's mostly popping clips and removing one or two bolts. And the h/w is available on eBay for around $150.00. Unfortunately, for late '18 and newer Spiders, they locked down the s/w such that the required updates cannot be installed via the USB port but have to be installed via a serial connection. That requires removing the CMU/Display and connecting to the serial port on the back of the unit. That's only required the first time though (but it is a PITA). There is a patch available that will re-enable using the USB ports for subsequent tweaks that gets installed during the initial s/w upgrade.

Was this unnecessarily harder? Yes. Should FCA provide the retrofit s/w and h/w? Yes. Will they? IMO, No. Unfortunately, the only way you'll get AA/CarPlay on a Spider is to jump through the hoops that @ameridan and @68wooley have so generously put together.

#7 ·
Having been heavily involved in creating the scripts to modify the Mazda firmware, I can say with a reasonable amount of certainty that it’d take less than a week to create and test an official Fiat version - and I’m being generous here. I actually think it’d be closer to a day to do.

That they haven’t done it is an absolute joke.

#8 ·
I agree 100%. It's absolutely ridiculous. I have a 2019 Abarth so the hack won't work for me. Much older cars have this and other brands upgrade their firmwares to support AA/Carplay.
In this case, it should be much easier as Mazda has already done 99% of the work.

Reactions: AnClar
#12 ·
I'm sorry kid, but I don't think you know what you are talking about, lol.
toyota did not even offer carplay on ANY model until less than a year ago.
car play also requires a big screen so any vehicle without the premium entertainment system wont support carplay in 2020.
btw, BMW charges you 80$ PER YEAR just to access carplay in their entertainment system.

also, you seem to misunderstand
you do not need to "hack" your car to install carplay on an abarth
you must update the OEM firmware by mazda who built the car
your car just happens to have a later update designed to prevent hacking which also prevents your firmware from being downgraded to the proper version
anyway, I understand why you are upset, I would be too if I found out after the fact.

if it makes you feel better I have been using android auto and it is, meh.
I still have my car phone mount in the car and need to use it sometimes

#15 ·
A 2019 unit can be hacked. AFAIK, the Fiat s/w has not changed since they updated it in the middle of the ‘18 production run. It does require the serial port hack for the initial v70.00.100A install. There are people with the newer s/w on their Spiders who have done the update.

#16 ·
I'm sorry kid, but I don't think you know what you are talking about, lol.
toyota did not even offer carplay on ANY model until less than a year ago.
car play also requires a big screen so any vehicle without the premium entertainment system wont support carplay in 2020.
btw, BMW charges you 80$ PER YEAR just to access carplay in their entertainment system.
True, some manufacturers just added CarPlay last year, others have had it for years. My father doesn’t pay a dime for it in his 2017 bmw. The point is that all of them have it. Heck, even the 500 has it.

my issue with this is that 99% of the work was done already by Mazda, this is just laziness.

having to install another brands firmware sure sounds like a “hack” to me.

#18 ·
There is a patch to “Fiatize” or “Abarthize” the s/w. All the instructions are in @68wooley install guide that @ameridan has published. Just follow the instruction fully, carefully, and in the order listed and you should be OK.

#20 ·
I don’t know that it was ever fully eliminated but on my unit I haven’t seen the Mazda logo briefly (or actually at all) on startup or shutdown in a long time...just the Abarth logos. I think it’s more likely to show after a full reboot than at any other time, but we don’t have any empirical data to prove it.

Reactions: ameridan
#21 ·
FWIW, I like having CarPlay but I could live without it. I much prefer the factory navigation over using Google maps or Waze. With the top down the Google screen is almost impossible to see in sunlight. I find it much easier to zoom in and out with the factory nav. I use it for playing my music and the factory system will do the same thing. I guess driving and interacting with phones at the same time is much more a millennial thing.

#22 · (Edited)
I just think that fiat is being lazy and not showing any interest in keeping their customers happy, the work they need to do for this to happen is minimal. A lot of people like CarPlay and it would add to its resale value imo.

I’m coming from an Audi s3, which Imo has the nicest navigation/integration of any car, but i still preferred using Waze when I needed to get somewhere on time.

I’ve just had the car for a few days, I’ll probably get over it soon, just thought it would be nice to have and simple for fiat to do.

#23 ·
I like the Apple interface more than the Fiat Connect one. I can do more, more quickly with a similar interface between the car and my phone. And I’m a (OK) Boomer. ?

#25 ·
Honestly, I think the value comes less from UI design and more from the support. The phone manufacturers are creating and supporting this software tightly with their OS and the apps running on it. Our headunits will never see an update, and even the Mazda ones will just see tweaks. We will continue seeing improvements, new features, and additional app support through CarPlay and Android Auto.

That said, I do wish Android Auto's new update had taken more consideration to hardware/non-touch interface users. It is a bit of a pain to navigate with the wheel now compared to how it was on the old version (e.g. there are fewer gestures). Couldn't care less about the touch screen though - I didn't even know our head units had a touch screen for months after I bought the car.

#29 ·
I think this is 'p*** in the wind' so to speak. Fiat have no obligation to do this, let alone spend resources on doing it. The bottom line is that if you want carplay then buy a car with carplay. If one is desperate to add it, then it’s possible, but you are on your own (sort of, just no support from fiat).

Reactions: CXXIV and Arthur
#30 ·
UPDATE 02/05. I emailed CarPlay2Air regarding the status of my order. They replied quickly and explained that they are currently awaiting a restocking order from Hong Kong. Unfortunately the order is hung up in the Coronavirus quarantine. They are hopeful that the order will arrive on Feb. 9th. If that happens, my order will go out on the 10th. So I probably won’t see my unit for another two weeks or so. Will update when I have any further news.

Reactions: Mike34
#31 ·

#34 ·
?

Reactions: Mike34
#32 ·
Personally, I don't like either systems. I would like to see an Android system similar to a traditional notepad/tablet. Using web browsers you could open multiple windows including navigation, LIVE WEATHER RADAR, music, system monitoring, messaging, all at the same time. Download apps that don't need CarPlay to run. I have used an inexpensive tablet with all that running and it works great. Simple monitor change out and a USB modula.

#33 ·
Using web browsers you could open multiple windows including navigation, LIVE WEATHER RADAR, music, system monitoring, messaging, all at the same time
Why do you want this on an 8" screen? And why would you want to run web apps instead of native apps?

Android Auto, aside from suffering from brain damage weekly, is great. You should be focused on the road.

#38 ·
Here is a new mailing received yesterday from FIAT. Very deceptive advertising showing the Infotainment System featuring CarPlay with the Spider. I believe that system is actually from the 500X shown lower right.
View attachment 75680
Yeah...that ain't no 124 Spider infotainment system, and it is extremely deceptive advertising. You might want to forward that to your state's consumer protection agency and point out that NO Fiat 124 Spider, any model, any year from 2017-2020 has Apple CarPlay available from Fiat either as standard equipment or as an option. As we all know, the only way to get AA/CarPlay on our Spiders is to get the upgraded USB hub from either Mazda, or a third-party Internet seller, then install v70.00.100A Mazda infotainment software and the new hub. At least they didn't take one of the pictures of a Spider with the Mazda kit installed (and there are many on this forum) and use that in the ad. As I mentioned above, the system pictured in the ad is most definitely NOT from a 124 Spider. smh :mad::confused:

#37 ·
Wow, that is misleading to say the least.

CarPlay now comes standard on the 2020 MX-5
Gotta say, I spent a while comparing the Miata and the Spider before buying.
This would have been a serious point in the Mazda column if I were shopping now.
Not enough to sway me, but it would have made the decision tougher.

But big thanks to @68wooley and @ameridan for bringing CarPlay to us well before Fiat.
My first time using CarPlay on the way to work, it suggested I take a an alternate route to avoid a traffic jam.
My first time using the factory satnav on the way home from the dealership, it suggested I drive my car through a wall!

#39 · (Edited)
Still don't get what's the issue with the Apple app. It's working even better after the recent updates. Anyone having issues?I'm aware that most of us want everything to be done and that Apple seems to not care but if you look deeper into it, you will find apps that really bypass legally their restrictions with no further fees. I have my new Audi not being so friendly to my iPhone. I'm that kind of guy that wants fresh tunes every day and music apps are a must in my car. Now, the only ones that can deliver have created carbridge ios download that can allow you to really relax and enjoy the ride with no limits.

#40 ·
I'm new to the community, I don't know if this was done before, but I think it would be great if we could ALL email FCA requesting a firmware update/retrofit cable to get carplay working without having to "hack" the car. I would even be willing to pay fiat for the retrofit kit/service (~$250ish)

It's not just about better navigation, it's about having access to a better/nicer interface, siri, messages, audiobooks, etc.

(It might also add some kind of resale value)

What do you think?
YEP. BIG reason why I didn't buy the Fiat/Mazda and instead got a fun new 2017 C7 Corvette with a manual transmission back in 2017.

#41 ·
How nice of you to come here to tell us that. How did you happen to find this thread? Hope you're enjoying your Corvette. I still think the C7 looks better than the C8.

#43 ·
I have recently tried to avail myself of the free map update through FCA. After a lot of quite difficult communication (i.e. I communicated, FCA didn't), in the end they have told me that they no longer support map updates for this model (through their 3rd party supplier). My car is 3 years old, with 3 year old maps...I just can't live with that and so the ApplePlay route will have to suffice, though it is not without it's difficulties installing and frustrations using. Given that FCA no longer support map updates for this model, I would have thought they might be inclined to offer an alternative.

#44 ·
Hi Walshy... Fiat are telling you a load of B*****ks !!! Map updates are well documented on this forum. If you car is a UK under 3 years old then you have map updates available.... lastest issued in December 2020. It is documented in the owners manual and on the map update website the if you don't have access to a computer then your Fiat dealer will carry out the update for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.