Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Vendor
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I'm building a hot street engine for my 124. I intend to push it well above current levels of power so it's going to need special pistons. I have an order in with Arias. I am not selling pistons, nor making any claims about them, but if anyone wants to piggy back onto my order to save time (and possibly a few bucks) let me know.

They are 4032 alloy, 1mm overbore, so that gives 1426ccs, and 9.25:1 compression.

At the moment I am on vacation with my wife, so I won't be able to check back here for a week. If you would like to get this in, please let me know via email. Arias is charging 150 each, including rings. All you will have to add is shipping.

Greg

·
Banned
2,976 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,881 Posts
Thank you for the heads up. Greg and I have been discussing this for a few days now. He is also assisting in getting Carrillo rods added to my order. The stock rods are good to 7K per our conversations but since I am in it this far, I want to go ahead and upgrade both and then add the exhaust cam at a later date and run it up that high.

I was very happy to hear that the pistons are a full mm larger than stock so that just about any scratches could be bored and honed away.

·
Banned
2,976 Posts
Thank you for the heads up. Greg and I have been discussing this for a few days now. He is also assisting in getting Carrillo rods added to my order. The stock rods are good to 7K per our conversations but since I am in it this far, I want to go ahead and upgrade both and then add the exhaust cam at a later date and run it up that high.

I was very happy to hear that the pistons are a full mm larger than stock so that just about any scratches could be bored and honed away.
did you also get the upgraded cam shaft?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Not yet. Was advised to wait a little bit.
Mine goes in for a new cam and the ported manifold end of next month. There is supposedly two differently degreed cams, a 4 and an 8 maybe? not certain. Steve from El Gato with Carlos flying from Miami to help. Is that why you're waiting? To see what the results of that install are?

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,881 Posts
Mine goes in for a new cam and the ported manifold end of next month. There is supposedly two differently degreed cams, a 4 and an 8 maybe? not certain. Steve from El Gato with Carlos flying from Miami to help. Is that why you're waiting? To see what the results of that install are?
No sir, I was unaware of your install. Hope it goes well and I am interested in how it works out to compare to when I eventually get to upgrading mine.

·
Vendor
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Greg
With these pistons being 1mm larger are you concerned about the web thickness between the cylinders getting too thin?
Yes, for two reasons. First, thinner cylinders can in some cases be weakened enough to cause certain problems. Second, it limits future over boring. However, I am doing it anyway for three reasons. First, people smarter than me have measured the block and determined it will be just fine at 1mm over. I won't be going crazy enough with power for it to be an issue, and I really wanted that displacement. As a side note, I actually want to keep my car's original engine in it, so I swapped in a LKQ motor to use while overhauling my original engine so I can continue development of the car during the engine's downtime.

The goal here is to have a lot of power but in a stock looking and stock behaving engine. I want the project to be easy to replicate and not break the bank. I'll post the complete parts list once it's together.

There are a lot of minor issues with this car when swapping engines. I'll compile a list of problems and post them when the new (i.e. original engine) is in the car. There are a few little things that if overlooked will prevent the car from ever running correctly.

Greg

·
Registered
933 Posts
Greg can we thinking about adding some more cooling capacity to the vehicle?

I know I am the smaller percentage of the race track guys. But seeing my temps going over 220 on a hot day is not nice

But even abarth 500 have one.
Really hope to see if we can get an oil cooler or a bigger radiator going on the 124

I am also in the process of 3D printing real side vents for the 124.
just got to finish the design and figure out what materials will be the best to fit to match and paint

·
Vendor
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have you measure the temps in and out? I'm not sure the radiator is your issue. I do have quite a few new things coming for the 124, and if I do decide to include the upgraded radiator, that's going to be in very limited numbers, like maybe a total of one production run of ten pieces. As for the oil cooler, the stock one is just fine.

Greg

·
Registered
933 Posts
Have you measure the temps in and out? I'm not sure the radiator is your issue. I do have quite a few new things coming for the 124, and if I do decide to include the upgraded radiator, that's going to be in very limited numbers, like maybe a total of one production run of ten pieces. As for the oil cooler, the stock one is just fine.

Greg
Well no I have not measure the issue in and out
but on a rather hot day my friend's S2000 and all other porsche have no problem
the few high boost turbo cars like mine and my friend's high powered STI has heating issues
ambient temp is 90F-95F

I can do a 20 min 25min session just fine but I can see my coolant start surpassing 210F
on a medium to high speed track, OEM coolant.

Currently is on E85 which is a lot better already, before on a low speed track it would go up rather quickly
in a high ambient temp situation

emm to my understanding we don't necessary have an "oil cooler"

·
Vendor
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the few high boost turbo cars like mine and my friend's high powered STI has heating issues
ambient temp is 90F-95F

I can do a 20 min 25min session just fine but I can see my coolant start surpassing 210F

Currently is on E85 which is a lot better already, before on a low speed track it would go up rather quickly

I'm not following you on the oil cooler part of the discussion. What do you mean to your understanding we don't necessarily have an oil cooler? Are you saying it's not neccessary, or that we don't have one, and who told you that?

Greg

·
Registered
995 Posts
ambient temp is 90F-95F

@klikai
That is the nature of small turbo engine.
They are less efficient in hot temperatures than N/A engines losing 20-30% of their power.
You; should look into water meth injection for hot days.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I'm not following you on the oil cooler part of the discussion. What do you mean to your understanding we don't necessarily have an oil cooler? Are you saying it's not neccessary, or that we don't have one, and who told you that?

Greg
well I looked at the design is just a pump with an integrated cooler it’s not as efficient as a standalone unit in the front like aftermarket options, like the forge on abarth 500

·
Vendor
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well I looked at the design is just a pump with an integrated cooler it’s not as efficient as a standalone unit in the front like aftermarket options, like the forge on abarth 500
I don't understand your first sentence and I disagree with the second. Our 124s have essentially the same Oil cooler as the 2.0 Alfa Giulia. It has plenty of capability. That said, I am sure the Forge unit could be adapted to the 124, so if you think it's better, give it a try and let us know.

Greg

·
Registered
208 Posts
Greg, whoop whoop, I really can't wait to see how this goes, loving this work and ambition.
I love the fact our beautiful car is powered by only 1.4 engine... Its so cool to demonstrate what results low weight combined with great engineering can produce. Looking forward to seeing this work unfold....exciting times ahead.

·
Banned
2,976 Posts
Greg, whoop whoop, I really can't wait to see how this goes, loving this work and ambition.
I love the fact our beautiful car is powered by only 1.4 engine... Its so cool to demonstrate what results low weight combined with great engineering can produce. Looking forward to seeing this work unfold....exciting times ahead.
what makes it particularly great engineering?

·
Banned
2,976 Posts
@klikai
That is the nature of small turbo engine.
They are less efficient in hot temperatures than N/A engines losing 20-30% of their power.
You; should look into water meth injection for hot days.
you mean the turbo engines lose 20-30%, or the NA?

·
Vendor
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Jowster. I did quite a bit of work on the engine today. It's coming along pretty fast. I don't have the pistons yet, so that, and waiting for the machining will be the biggest blockages to getting this done quickly. I'm going to start getting ready to pull my LKQ engine out since I won't be driving the car in the winter anyway, and that will help things go more quickly one the engine is together.

It's going to be a very reasonable cost build, with a focus on everything being easy for our customers to duplicate. I'll put up all the specifics of the engine build so all our customers who might be considering such a project can see it.

Greg

1 - 20 of 35 Posts