Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
Switzerland..... more to follow !!!
Hi Arthur, loving it Mate ! If you get there try, " Lake Luzerne Lido"...great campsite, liked the area and some good cruising....Cheers
ron

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
We stayed on lussane. Superb place.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #64 (Edited)
Day 13
Annecy In France to Geneva in Switzerland. Then a very enjoyable drive from Geneva via Gax in Mount Jura National Park, France to St Dizier...... superb hairpin bends on the way up Mount Jura.... and on the way back down !!! The car performed faultlessly. The only restricting factor was the driver !!!

Lake Geneva.........

The view from Mount Jura back towards Switzerland.....

No issues. 265 miles covered.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
The very astute and the not so astute of you will now have realised that Arthur is homeward bound.

So I will give just a brief summary......

I have thashed the a**e off this car for the past 14 days. In relativly demanding environments as far as heat and altitude are concrened. The car dId not fail me once. Odometer will show ~ 3,000 miles driven in two weeks when I get home. No real prep was carried out. I basically started the engine and went for a drive !

Let no one comment, in a negative way, about the sturdiness, build quality, reliability and sheer driving pleasure of this classic little Italian sports car....... if they do, pass them on to me !!!!

So you may ask....... what went wrong ?. It was the driver that failed and had to conceded defeat. Or was it the pesky little mosquitos ?. Arthur was "ordered" home on account of his feet! !!! Rest assured all camping equipment was disposed off in the correct bins at the Lake Geneva recycling centre !!!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Day 14
St Dizier France to Folkestone England via Belgium and the port of Dunkirk.
Nice mix of flat open roads and city/motorway travelling.

Stopped in Belgium to pick up a few gifts for family and friends (chocolates of course).....

Drone piccie of my 124 (or perhaps I was hanging out the bedroom window !!!)..... .

Goodbye France. ...

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Dumb question from a Canadian... is the Chunnel not a desired option, or is it a cost or time issue?

Reactions: jetlag

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
Day 14
St Dizier France to Folkestone England via Belgium and the port of Dunkirk.
Nice mix of flat open roads and city/motorway travelling.

Stopped in Belgium to pick up a few gifts for family and friends (chocolates of course)..... View attachment 78019

Drone piccie of my 124 (or perhaps I was hanging out the bedroom window !!!)..... .
View attachment 78020

Goodbye France. ...
View attachment 78021
Belgian Chocolates for your friends......Arthur, Mate..what can I say but "Thank You" ! Why didn't you go through the Chunnel ? and..The Foot ? How...Mossies are nast little Sh*ts but that looks like you did your ankle rolling through a bramble bush chasing them and they got there own back...

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
And hello to England. ...

My last day of this wonderful little excursion tomorrow.
For the uninitiated, Great Britain is not a country, neither is the United Kingdom. Wales, England,Ireland and Scotland are four seperate countries.... so I will not be home until I get to Wales...... just another 250 miles to go !

Regarding the Chunnel v the Ferry...... it's neither a time or money issue, I just perfer the ferry.

And regarding my leg.... it don't look too good 😕

·
Registered
517 Posts
I've been through the tunnel a few times but prefer the ferry for a more relaxed journey, usually about half the price too. Sailing time is 90mins on ferry where you can walk around the ferry, have a meal or catch some fresh air vs. 40mins or so in tunnel, sat in your car, walking up and down the carriages or giving your car a quick polish (you get some odd looks doing that). Overall time saving is maybe an hour and worth it if not travelling far into Europe. But for my annual pilgrimage to the Viva Italia event at Assen (rudely interrupted this year) an hour saving over a roughly 10 hour journey door to door is not much. What annoys me most is the hanging around waiting to board, I'd love ig id I could just turn up and be sailing/tunelling within 15 minutes...one day maybe...

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Cracking trip! You'll wonder what to do with yourself!

Do prefer the chunnel myself. No risk of rough seas!

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Day 15/16
Stopped off at a motel after disembarking the ferry. Then final 250 miles home to Wales.

Total trip milage just under 3,000.
No issues of any sort with the 124.

And finally... time to clean the car !!! View attachment 78094
B 😄 et this was the best part of the trip, lol

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
So, Journey over, Pete, Cat and Spider all okay and safe it seems...How's that foot doing Arthur lad ?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Really enjoyed this. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Oh wow! Used to be they could be ignored, I think if you do that now they chase you (they link to dvla database) and you'll get a ban for driving in France or something.

Good effort !

61 - 80 of 91 Posts