Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
The French HATE speeding. They are arguably worse than here in the UK. No issues hiding cameras in bushes etc. Catches many people out.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I don't think the Spider's SatNav includes speed camera locations or alerts. I use an Android app called Navigator when driving abroad, you can download free maps to avoid using mobile roaming data (or you can use paid-for TomTom maps if you want) and also speed camera locations. It's not perfect of course, I still got zapped last year in Assen on my annual pilgrimage to Viva Italia.

Hope the fines aren't too much @Arthur

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Here in the states you have "points" added to your license when you get tickets, and insurance companies use those to jack up your rates, usually for three years going forward. Depending on how bad the ticket, meaning number of points added, folks here may hire a lawyer to get the ticket reduced. Doing 80MPH in a 50MPH zone is ugly if caught and not reduced. The courts look at your past driving record to make the determination that you are not a hardened criminal, lol. Something like a DWI, drinking while driving, will be ugly regardless.

·
Registered
517 Posts
We have a points system like that on the UK, the standard penalty is 3 points and £100 fine, or depending on the regional police force (and whether and when you've attended one before), you may get offered a "speed awareness" course for £100 but no points. Fines from overseas carry no points however, so Arthur can at least console himself with that (maybe).

Reactions: jetlag and Arthur

·
Registered
11 Posts
Being caught in Europe with a GPS that shows speed camera locations or radar detection can be ugly.
Only Spain allows it.
Fines are quite high and in some countries cars can be confiscated. France for instance fines these infringements with as little as 1500 Euro!!!!! (1766 USD)
Police are allowed to surch your GPS to determine wether or not speed camera locations are stored. Resisting this surch by putting that your car is private property is of no help overhere.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Being caught in Europe with a GPS that shows speed camera locations or radar detection can be ugly.
Only Spain allows it.
Fines are quite high and in some countries cars can be confiscated. France for instance fines these infringements with as little as 1500 Euro!!!!! (1766 USD)
Police are allowed to surch your GPS to determine wether or not speed camera locations are stored. Resisting this surch by putting that your car is private property is of no help overhere.
I think I am staying on this side of the pond. heck, it is bad enough here but nothing that bad

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Because we struggle with the concept of a national concensus regarding tickets and points, in some provinces you incur points for infractions.... in other provinces, you start with points and lose them for infractions. Bizarre. The good thing is that photo radar is purely a cash cow. You pay the fine, but since the photo radar can't identify the driver, there are no insurance impacts or points associated with those tickets.

In Calgary, we used to have a "not well known" system whereby we could meet at a court building and plea for fine reductions. You presented the ticket when you checked in and got in the queue, and then a small group of court paralegals would call you in to an office and you could quickly plead for a reduction or cancellation of a ticket. In my case I told them I was okay with paying the fine, but wanted to avoid the points. They said they could do that, and two minutes later I was paying the ticket at the front counter and all was good. BUT, that was a decade ago, and I don't know if it's still an option or not.

But here's the strange bit... of 10 provinces and 3 territories, only 3 provinces legalize the use of radar detectors. British Columbia, Alberta, and Saskatchewan. Verboeten everywhere else.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
@Arthur we have just done it! Thread and pics at the weekend :)

81 - 91 of 91 Posts