Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Not sure you have covered this one, but going into route options, there is a screen where you can pick "fastest, shortest, most economical, and easiest" with different colored lines representing each.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Has it been confirmed either way if the North American factory nav actually retrieves live traffic data and from what database? There is the setting to toggle historical traffic patterns, but I'm skeptical that it then determines the fastest route based on actual traffic.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Not sure you have covered this one, but going into route options, there is a screen where you can pick "fastest, shortest, most economical, and easiest" with different colored lines representing each.
Yes, I've haven't yet done the 4 route options (Fast, Shortest, Econominal, Easy).... I was hoping to do it a little later on as there are a few other "must knows" to do first !!! I'll go through the 4 route options in a day or two.

·
Registered
617 Posts
@Arthur love your work here. Watched them all and appreciate you giving your time to the community.
Would it be rude to offer a suggestion?

I've had to go back to review a couple of your videos when I had a question. But, going to your YouTube page, I had a hard time finding the one I wanted. If you could change the titles on your videos, to reflect the topic instead of the date, it would be a HUGE help when looking for a particular subject. :)

Again, thank you for doing what you have done.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
@Arthur love your work here. Watched them all and appreciate you giving your time to the community.
Would it be rude to offer a suggestion?

I've had to go back to review a couple of your videos when I had a question. But, going to your YouTube page, I had a hard time finding the one I wanted. If you could change the titles on your videos, to reflect the topic instead of the date, it would be a HUGE help when looking for a particular subject. :)

Again, thank you for doing what you have done.
Hi Bob T. I appreciate your suggestion very much, it makes a lot of sense. However, I absolutely hate technology and am only using You Tube as a vehicle to enable me to upload my "Tips" thread. I'll try to tidy it up and put more meaningful headers !!!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Has it been confirmed either way if the North American factory nav actually retrieves live traffic data and from what database? There is the setting to toggle historical traffic patterns, but I'm skeptical that it then determines the fastest route based on actual traffic.

Here in the UK it certainly does calculate the fastest route taking into account live data feed (through FM radio transmission, NOT wifi !!!). I would have thought it was the same in the States/worldwide.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Hi Bob T. I appreciate your suggestion very much, it makes a lot of sense. However, I absolutely hate technology and am only using You Tube as a vehicle to enable me to upload my "Tips" thread. I'll try to tidy it up and put more meaningful headers !!!
Understood.
I was thinking of others who may not use this forum, or down the road when it is not active.
A good search will turn up your tips on YouTube for many years. It is very easy to change the titles in YouTube, and you already have the titles in this thread.
Just a thought....Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Good point....... I forgot to remember that YouTube will remain for an eternity (or longer !!!)...... I've even noticed that I'm getting a lot of "Hits". I'll re-title them as soon as I get a free moment. Thanks for pointing this out to me.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Here in the UK it certainly does calculate the fastest route taking into account live data feed (through FM radio transmission, NOT wifi !!!). I would have thought it was the same in the States/worldwide.
Does yours indicate in some way traffic flow akin to Google Maps where the path changes color and prompt for re-route?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I don't use Google Maps, but yes, the live data shows actual real-time route issues, detours, accidents, roadworks etcetera. ..... its more"live" than Google. It is the same live data feed as used by the breakdown and emergency services.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Yeah, so I'm not seeing any of that, and I have historical traffic patterns disabled. I started to question it when it took me a different route than I was expecting and proceeded to sit in bumper-to-bumper traffic without any indication.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Arthur, You are a NavSystem GOD ! If only I could remember all this stuff ! It's like memorizing all those geometry formulas from 9th grade ! :)

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 · (Edited)
Live Traffic Data

THIS FACILITY IS ONLY AVAILABLE IN CERTAIN MARKETS.

I can confirm that Live Traffic Data us available in the UK and Mainland Europe. For other geographical locations, please refer to

www.124spiderinfotainment.com

Fiat 124s have Live Traffic Data capability using the FM radio data system. This function needs to be activated through :

www.124spiderinfotainment.com

In order to activate the system you must select "Connected Services" when updating your maps.

Connected Services has two general functions:
1. It enables a few online features..... Live Weather, Fuel prices, some music capabilites and a Local Search option. For this aspect of Connected Services you will require a mobile phone/wifi/Hotspot/4G/5G. I have never used this. Waste of data !!!!

2. It enables/activates the Live Traffic Data function integral to the optimum operation of the Sat Nav. The system receives the data through the cars radio. You DO NOT need your phone wifi'd/Hotspotted/enabled/Bluetoothed/connected or even in your car in order to use the Live Data. You do not need a mobile phone !!!!!

I will soon upload an introduction video for the Live Traffic operation.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Arthur, in North America, for reasons unknown, we got radios with poor shielding, so WiFi is deactivated and doesn't work, and we also don't have the option of getting connected services.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Arthur, in North America, for reasons unknown, we got radios with poor shielding, so WiFi is deactivated and doesn't work, and we also don't have the option of getting connected services.

Thanks again Ameridan..... this time I'm gonna let it go, for ever !!!! My confusion comes from having owned the Mazda MX5 ND a couple of years ago, when Mazda did support the Live Traffic in the US (I had plenty of dialogue with fellow owners on the topic). Clearly something has changed since then. I'll be sure to add a note to that effect on my Infotainment thread. Thanks again for clarifying the current situation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
How to set up emails in your Spider.....

How to send/receive emails using the Central Command button......

How to send/receive emails using the Voice Command button......

On my setup, I do not get 'emails' in the list after 'SMS' on the Communications-settings page.

Am I missing something?

41 - 60 of 96 Posts