Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Probably a setting on your phone..... should be easily sorted, at least if you have Samsung/Andriod, I can't speak for anything Apple.
Thank you for responding.

I have Android Google Pixel 5 phone. Any idea what setting?

I was referring to the missing line on my display panel.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
It's a bit tricky for me to check at the moment as I'm half way through my 2021 Road Trip !!!
From my memory, the setting is changed through your Google Account Login. If I remember correctly you have an option to push one "notification" type through to a Bluetooth paired device (in this case our Spiders). I chose my main email account, but it may be possible to select other services such as WhatsApp etc. I don't want to mess with my Google Account settings whilst away from home, but will definitely get back to you once I've finished my trip.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
You do not need to select the country as you are already in that country. There are many easier ways to enter the route if you already have the addresses. For example, instead of entering the Country, State, Town, Street, Number you can just enter the Post Code (ZIP Code?).
Here in the U.S., this isn't true, unless the ZIP code is within the current state.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I'm really enjoying these videos, @Arthur! I feel like there's a whole new world of possibilities for the Satnav now - it feels like a major upgrade, but didn't cost anything!

Reactions: DougGTR and CDPond

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 · (Edited)
I'm really enjoying these videos, @Arthur! I feel like there's a whole new world of possibilities for the Satnav now - it feels like a major upgrade, but didn't cost anything!
It's all there within the satnav as supplied by Fiat..... the only thing missing were the instructions !!! I'm coming to the end of my 1,700 mile Scottish Road Trip and can report that the SatNav preformed absolutely flawlessly... you just got to learn how to use it. Too many owners dissmiss it without bothering to try... and that goes for the other elements of the Infotainment System too. Thanks for liking my thread 👍

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Couple of cool screens from my recent trip to the southern Appalachian mountains.

Bluestone River Gorge

I-77 tunnel

·
Registered
561 Posts
I'm blessed with some mountain roads in my backyard and find the topographical view very helpful.

Reactions: Magoffin

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Yeah it’s very cool to see the roads winding around the mountains.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
OK I’m back from my trip and have a question for our Satnav Jedi Master, @Arthur.

Is it possible to choose a destination or waypoint by clicking a spot on the map? I’m had a hard time route planning in rural areas where the system didn’t recognize place names for small communities. All I wanted to do was place a waypoint to force the route to go a certain way.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
OK I’m back from my trip and have a question for our Satnav Jedi Master, @Arthur.

Is it possible to choose a destination or waypoint by clicking a spot on the map? I’m had a hard time route planning in rural areas where the system didn’t recognize place names for small communities. All I wanted to do was place a waypoint to force the route to go a certain way.
Yep. It's super easy to drop a pin on the map and select as either a destination or waypoint. This can be done whilst on the move (no need for the touch screen function)....

Her's a very rough video... I'll do a better one tomorrow !!!

·
Registered
1,367 Posts

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
@Arthur OK, wow! This evening I tried the point-click-and-drive method you shared. 🙌 Nirvana! I am an obsessive route-planner. I don't just want to go Point A to Point B however the 'puter says I should go. I want to follow the best driving route possible, which is often not 1) the shortest 2) the fastest or 3) the easiest. This functionality allows me unlimited power to command the satnav to go the way I want it to! :geek::cool:

Speaking of the route preferences (short, fast, easy, etc.) can you comment on them? Which on is best for a good driving experience? I'm thinking (easiest + avoid freeways / motorways) but would be interested to hear your take.

·
Registered
561 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: Magoffin

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
@Arthur OK, wow! This evening I tried the point-click-and-drive method you shared. 🙌 Nirvana! I am an obsessive route-planner. I don't just want to go Point A to Point B however the 'puter says I should go. I want to follow the best driving route possible, which is often not 1) the shortest 2) the fastest or 3) the easiest. This functionality allows me unlimited power to command the satnav to go the way I want it to! :geek::cool:

Speaking of the route preferences (short, fast, easy, etc.) can you comment on them? Which on is best for a good driving experience? I'm thinking (easiest + avoid freeways / motorways) but would be interested to hear your take.
I tend to use "Easy" as my preferred option.

Here's a brief explanation...... with video to follow :
FAST : tends towards highways. Can be boring.
SHORT : tends towards smaller roads in the most direct straight line. Can take much longer in time.
ECONOMICAL : can save a couple of percentage points in fuel. Pointless as our cars are very economical.
EASY : my go to default option. A good combination of the other 3 options. Not too taxing nor too boring.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I published an article Creating multi-waypoint routes a while back on a route planning methodology using waypoints, but after trying it out once, I admit that it is pretty cumbersome. The main advantage is you can repeat a saved route, without entering all of the waypoints manually each time.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Just watched your latest video @Arthur…brilliant! Your observation that Easy avoids town centers and congested areas is great! In the 124 I rarely want to slog through towns.

The capabilities of this system are astonishing. In the aftermarket satnav world, there are motorcycle-specific models designed to allow for more route calculation methods than a standard car model, typically offering choices for various levels of “curvy roads” as well as enhanced route-planning. I was thinking I might have to buy one of those and figure out how to fit it to the Spider. But given the insights, tips, and tricks you’ve shared it’s not only unnecessary, it would actually be inferior to our OEM system!

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I published an article Creating multi-waypoint routes a while back on a route planning methodology using waypoints, but after trying it out once, I admit that it is pretty cumbersome. The main advantage is you can repeat a saved route, without entering all of the waypoints manually each time.
I read that article @ameridan. It’s cool that you found a way to create and save routes. I may take the time to do that for some favorite rides.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
That’s an idea!

61 - 80 of 96 Posts