Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 · (Edited)
That’s an idea!
The waypoints (and final destinations) are automatically stored in the cars satnav history folder. So route planning is easier the more times you use your satnav. You can pick from history/recent/favourites/home to build a route. New waypoints can be inserted under the route edit function anywhere along the route. These new waypoints will again be automatically stored whether they are drop-pinned or typed in to the system. This process uses the cars satnav. You do not need your phone or a phone signal to do this.

I'll try to explain it better in this video !!!!..

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Perfect @Arthur. Now I am going to build up a library of waypoints that I can quickly build a route from.

Re: Carling Lager. Had no idea Carling is UK-based until looking it up just now. We used to drink it by the case "back in the day" as it was good + inexpensive brew here in the States. Other faves were Goebel, Schoenling, and Old Milwaukee. On paydays, it was Stroh's!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Perfect @Arthur. Now I am going to build up a library of waypoints that I can quickly build a route from.

Re: Carling Lager. Had no idea Carling is UK-based until looking it up just now. We used to drink it by the case "back in the day" as it was good + inexpensive brew here in the States. Other faves were Goebel, Schoenling, and Old Milwaukee. On paydays, it was Stroh's!
Carling is my choice of beer if I'm having a quiet night in. It's brewed in Burton on Trent in England, an historic brewery town due to its ready supply of quality water. Ironically enough, Carling is owned by Molson Coors Beverage Company.... which I believe is American ?

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Carling is my choice of beer if I'm having a quiet night in. It's brewed in Burton on Trent in England, an historic brewery town due to its ready supply of quality water. Ironically enough, Carling is owned by Molson Coors Beverage Company.... which I believe is American ?
Molson was Canadian and Coors was American...not sure who bought whom! They are based in Georgia, USA today so I guess that makes them a US outfit. Anhauser-Busch was bought out by a Brazilian brewing company and then that conglomeration was bought out by a Belgian brewing conglomerate. No wonder young people are tossing up their hands and drinking local craft brews.

I'm close to Cincinnati, Ohio which in the mid-1800s was one of the largest brewing towns in America due to a huge influx of German immigrants after the failed 1848-49 Revolution over there. And interestingly, it also had the highest per-capita beer consumption in the US at the time by far...I can't remember exactly but I think more beer was consumed locally - and by that I mean in the brewery district - than was exported out of the area! The old brewing district was called Over-the-Rhine due to the German neighborhoods being on the north side of the old Miami & Erie Canal in an area that was unincorporated and hence untaxed and unregulated with respect to the brewing of beer. After years of neglect and urban decline, OTR has been experiencing a fabulous renaissance driven by interest in Cincinnati's brewing heritage.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Thanks Arthur. Good stuff. I did not see a post on this, but I cannot see that email capability is available in the US. I got my text messaging going with my iPhone due to this thread. And I learned a lot about the Nav system on the 124. However, my wife and I will probably use one of our larger cars take some road trips. So I rarely use the Nav capabilities in the 124. It's probably better than our 2014 Betty Ford and definitely better than my 2007 Mercedes. Both great cars by the way.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Hi
Thanks Arthur. Good stuff. I did not see a post on this, but I cannot see that email capability is available in the US. I got my text messaging going with my iPhone due to this thread. And I learned a lot about the Nav system on the 124. However, my wife and I will probably use one of our larger cars take some road trips. So I rarely use the Nav capabilities in the 124. It's probably better than our 2014 Betty Ford and definitely better than my 2007 Mercedes. Both great cars by the way.
Hi Doughty
Not sure about your emails..... I'm using 5 year old Andriod Samsung phone, I have zero experience with Apple stuff !!! When you select the "Communication" screen on the Infotainment System, is the word "Email" white or greyed out (phone must be Bluetoothed) ?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I'm pretty sure the system only accommodates text messages; not emails. From the manual:

Receive texts and reply with programmable pre-defined responses

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
I'm pretty sure the system only accommodates text messages; not emails. From the manual:

Receive texts and reply with programmable pre-defined responses
UK/EU cars most certainly can do Emails...... as for texting, there are "factory supplied" responses as well as the ability to create your own auto responses or the option to type direct into the system.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Arthur, I was going by the Mazda Quick-start manual. Now that I've perused the Fiat Connect 7.0 manual, I see the section that confirms what you've said:

Method 2 Proceed as follows:
1. Select the phone icon on the home screen to display the Communication screen.
2. Select Notifications and display the new message list for e-mail and SMS.
3. Select the message you would like to display

Example of use (verify unread E-mail) Proceed as follows:
1. Select the phone icon on the home screen to display the Communication screen.
2. Select Email to display the inbox.
3. Select the unread message displayed in bold.
4. The details of the message are displayed and replying to the message, making a call, or playback can be performed.

I've never paired a phone, so I have no actual experience ;)

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
There don't seem to be specific settings for email, so it must be tied in with SMS settings:

Select the phone icon on the home screen to display the Communication screen. Select Settings to change the setting.

Auto Download SMS ⚫On/Off ⚫Downloads SMS automatically when the Bluetooth unit is connected to the device.
SMS Notifications ⚫On/Off ⚫Notifies when a new SMS is received.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Hi Doughty
Not sure about your emails..... I'm using 5 year old Andriod Samsung phone, I have zero experience with Apple stuff !!! When you select the "Communication" screen on the Infotainment System, is the word "Email" white or greyed out (phone must be Bluetoothed) ?
I am pretty confident that Email capability is not available on US models. I am able to receive and send iMessages with my iPhone 8 bluetoothed. Here are the screens in the Communications settings:

Vehicle Motor vehicle Personal luxury car Automotive design Audio equipment
Communication Device Gadget Font Audio equipment Automotive design
Communication Device Vehicle Audio equipment Gadget Bumper
Motor vehicle Vehicle Audio equipment Font Personal luxury car

·
Premium Member
2,915 Posts
Nope. Molson and Coors merged, but in doing so, the company and head office became established in Toronto, ON Canada. For entertainment value, they subsequently picked up Miller, making Molson Coors North America the largest brewery operation in North America. They also purchased Sharpe's in Cornwall, England... and have Molson Coors Europe, which is headquartered in Prague. Old companies though.... Molson was established in 1796, and Coors was established close to a century later in the 1880's.
Thankfully the brew's a bit fresher, though I must confess I have a weakness for Guinness.... which in Canada could end up resulting in me having my citizenship revoked. lol

Apologies for briefly derailing the topic of the thread, but back on point... Arthur, I like to think I know the nav system pretty well, but I stand humbled at the breadth and depth of your knowledge of it's operation. The forum has much to be thankful for with your posts on this system.

Reactions: Magoffin
81 - 96 of 96 Posts