Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received the red trim for the front fascia from a vendor in the UK. Can anyone advise what type of adhesive to use to put this on the car? Thanks and Merry Christmas.

p.s. Driving across North Carolina yesterday and Porsche Cayenne nearly ran me off the road looking at the car. They finally rolled down the window at 75 mph and asked me "what kind of car is that?" I yelled FIAT about 20 times and finally gave up on their hearing me. I still haven't seen another one on the road, and with the Abarth badging there's no outward sign that it's a FIAT--adding to the "mystery" for the uninitiated.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I orders 3M HD automotive double sided foam tape. Looking at the inside it seems recessed for this type of mounting. It weights nothing so that is a lot of contact area for holding it on. Then I want to be able to remove it should it get damaged and put a new one one. Get sick of the red, whatever

·
Registered
727 Posts
I had mine installed by 500 Madness, along with the red mirror caps. I suppose you could call them to get the name of the adhesive they used. I'm too lazy to look for it, but someone on this forum recently recommended a particular adhesive which has "flex", which might help if you have a low speed impact. My experience with double-sided adhesive tape is that it gets old and loses its ability to stick. But who knows. The lower grill trim is a relatively inexpensive part if it falls off and needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Name of the website for the trim? I've heard rumors that the heritage option is suppose to be available next year and was thinking about going the dealership route when it does, but want to have my options lined up in case that does not happen.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I had mine installed by 500 Madness, along with the red mirror caps. I suppose you could call them to get the name of the adhesive they used. I'm too lazy to look for it, but someone on this forum recently recommended a particular adhesive which has "flex", which might help if you have a low speed impact. My experience with double-sided adhesive tape is that it gets old and loses its ability to stick. But who knows. The lower grill trim is a relatively inexpensive part if it falls off and needs to be replaced.
Well, maybe and true for the hobby stuff for sure. Guess I look at emblems and badges that basically last forever on the car. And the opposite happens, the older it is the harder to get it off. I just like knowing I can get it off if needed. I am going to soft clamp it on overnight so the adhesive can set up. I also have plastic cleaner that removes all grease and any mold release left on the surfaces.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I haven't seen how this part mounts, but perhaps 3m weatherstrip adhesive (gorilla snot). Used properly the stuff doesn't let go and in my experience stays pliable and doesn't dry up.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Maybe sikaflex Jim?

It's an adhesive sealant. Doesn't come off easily.
Yes, that's it. A forum member named "Chaddy" had recommended it but didn't give any details.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Who is this? Could you please post a photo?

Thanks!
Pete
Desiraparts.com

I got mine from them as well. Took about 3 weeks. Sometimes they have this part listed on eBay as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks

Thanks for all the adhesive suggestions. I picked up something called 3M Super Strength Molding Tape at Autozone and I will let you guys know how it works out. My part also came from Desiraparts--I ordered it through their eBay ad. Put about 600 miles on the car this weekend--mostly in the rain--so I will need to do a thorough cleaning before I attach this.

Happy holidays all....

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thanks for all the adhesive suggestions. I picked up something called 3M Super Strength Molding Tape at Autozone and I will let you guys know how it works out.
How did it work out? I've used this tape to fix a scuff protector that had come loose on the rear bumper of an SUV. It works like a charm and can be found also at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/3M-03614-Scotch-Mount-Molding-Tape/dp/B002JOVUO0

This thread got me jazzed on the red trim piece on the Abarth's front fascia, which I found using the link provided by Jalanjala. The eBay item number has changed: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiat-124-Ab...404641?hash=item211d5ab521:g:QIwAAOSwMVdYELSH

1 - 15 of 15 Posts