Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The amount of curiousity and attention my 124 Spider Abarth gets never fails to amaze me .
For example today I drove it to my local Chev dealer so I could check up on my truck which was in getting serviced.
Two techs and a salesguy came out to ask about the car not knowing what it was and we spent 15 mins talking about it.
What experiences have you had from admirers ?

·
Registered
2018 Abarth
53 Posts
I get tons of attention at the large company I work at. There are all kinds of cars in the parking garage, including some Corvettes, Porsches, and a flawless ceramic coated Honda Civic Type R that blow my swirl-marked car away. Yet strangers outside my work group come up and ask "Is that your red convertible out there? I think I saw you in it. I love it."

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
In mid September I went on a 7 day 2,400 mile drive up through Northern Lower Michigan and the Upper Peninsula into Northern Wisconsin and on into Northern Minnesota. Met lots of nice folks and garnered lots of positive comments with regards to Moonracer.
There are two comments that stand out and I'll remember. The first happened in Marquette, Michigan at the end of the 2nd day of my road trip. A gentleman came up to me in the restaurant as I was leaving after dinner to inquire about my car. He said he had seen me back in Mackinaw City the night before and later that same day in Grand Marais and his curiosity was killin' him. Said he loved my car and had to know all about it. The second comment, which pretty much blew me away was in Two Habors, Minnesota on the North Shore of Lake Superior. I'd stopped for fuel and as I was getting back into my car a young guy, early twenties maybe, stepped up from behind the car and and said "Holy Shit, an Abarth, never thought I'd actually see one". Needless to say I was caught somewhat off guard by that comment. And the best part was he actually pronounced Abarth correctly. I pulled over away from the pumps and it turned out the guy was major car savvy. We ended up talking about my car and many others for almost an hour.
Owning and driving these cars is like an instant portal to meeting and conversing with some very nice/interesting people.

·
Registered
536 Posts
If I go more than a week without a comment, I start to think something is wrong now. Never expected the attention when I bought the car. Certainly never expected the wild guesses as to what it is.

On the way to Italian CarFest on the 10th, we stopped for gas and had 2 different people (who weren't together) take pictures of our cars. Definitely not a car for introverts, because people will come up and talk to you about them. Even at red lights. Or on the interstate screaming out their window...lol.

·
Registered
Abarth 124 Spider, 2020, 6MT, Heritage Stripe, Red Leather Seats, Monza Exhaust, Brembo, Nav & Visib
47 Posts
I lost count on the times people ask me "which car is that?", or the looks, or the discreet photo shots they take when I am not conspicuous, etc.

One of those days, I was parked and inside the car, checking something on my phone and I haven't noticed that there were two guys taking photos of my car, I only noticed, because when I turned it on (it has the Monza Record), they went "woooaaa" out loud...

Since I am a little shy, I just drove away without saying a thing because I didn't want to be a show-off (hahaha, although perhaps I am, by having bought a car that brings so much attention).

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
In a year of driving, I finally received a comment a few days ago. The worker at the Costco gas pump commented that it’s been a long time since I was there. He said he recognized the car.
The baggers/shopping cart retrievers at Kroger are my most consistent source of compliments.

Reactions: Tazilon Brenner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts