Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Silly question – but I will it ask it anyways

But before I ask – some background. In someways I could be called old fashioned, I am an analogue guy, I like my trannys with a stick and I like to spin my music on vinyl. I came to accept CD’s only because my past 4 cars had a CD player and became accustomed to the convenience of CDs. Next to my maniacal obsession with Italian cars is my maniacal obsession with music – a lot of different genres, but mostly indie local Australian and US based 20th century – all very low brow. One of my most prized processions is my collection of 7” singles of Australian indie music of the late 70’s / early 80’s. So, the very idea of music being stored purely as a digital file is a compete anathema to me…….the work of the devil !!!

Now it seems with the purchase of the 124 I need to begrudgedly move into the 21st Century and start “ripping” (as the kids say) some music. So I know how to convert my CD’s into MP3, have done that in the past. But as I embark on a planned big weekend of ripping music onto an USB I have this question. As any complete music nerd will tell you – I want.....no need !! to classify my music much like I have stored my collection. So I will be intending to store my tunes in a similar file structure. If I do this will the file structure be readily accessible from the 124 audio system ?? Please pardon my ignorance – but it is wilful !! I’d ask my kids but rather not have to endure the ridicule.

Oh another tips about this process (like different music formats) would be much appreciated

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
It is on my Classica's base radio, it just takes button pushing to move around if desired. Here is a thread I started earlier this spring. By the way, my file folders are now named "01 and 02", etc (only 2 file numbers per folder instead of 3). to deal with the 255 song limit per folder. This method provides a constant shuffle of sorts. Whatever you set up, it will simply play through one folder and then into the next, unless you change it with the radio controls.

I've switched from the Sandisk device to an 8gig Samsung USB 2.0 mini drive. Tiny, almost invisible in the dashboard USB slot. Found at Amazon.

http://www.124spider.org/forum/26-e...ase-radio-sandisk-mp3-problem.html#post210337

Steve.

Reactions: Joseph124

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Do you plan to create a separate folder for each style of music? If so, you should be fine, create as many folders as you would like. The 255 song (i.e. file) limit per folder applies to the base radio system for sure. I don't if it also applies to the Lusso/Abarth level radio.

From what I've researched, the USB 3.0 storage chips can run quite hot, but they are not necessary for music playback, USB 2.0 plays wonderfully. They just take more time to load while at the computer, no big deal for me and I've loaded nearly 8gigs/1500 songs onto the chip (which is a 16gig chip, not 8gig as I stated before).

Steve.

·
Registered
639 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What about using one of the high end digital players in aux mode, like pioneer. I think they play larger music files with less compression, but they cost quite a bit. Just a thought.
Thanks all

But ya buy a convertible with a loud exhaust - in-car music fidelity is probably not a realistic priority

·
Super Moderator
1,250 Posts
The car makes the best music

Thanks all

But ya buy a convertible with a loud exhaust - in-car music fidelity is probably not a realistic priority
The 124 is my first new car in 16 years. My Miata had the much reviled Bose system, complete with cassette and CD. The Miata community developed all sorts of workarounds to deal with the nonstandard speakers and limited range but the car was full of sounds that would ruin any high fidelity. The ND even has a sound tube to introduce engine sound into the cabin.
I think my enjoyment of high quality music will be at home.
Best regards
Pete

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Thanks all

Exactly, even with the stock "quiet" exhaust.

Although from the hardware perspective one could certainly do a lot to make major, and likely dramatic upgrades, as witnessed in this link below from the Electronics/Audio/Lighting subforum. But having plenty of seat time with the stock radio since first reading this linked thread I've concluded that commanding, high fidelity sound in a little ragtop roadster will always be a losing battle, for me. In a high end Lexus sedan? Sure. In my Spider, probably not. The wind wins every time.

I am content with what the factory gave me. Up to posted freeway speeds it performs well and can handle added clockwise twist to the volume knob when needed. I'd be content if there was no radio in the car as long as that roof can be dropped.

http://www.124spider.org/forum/26-electronics-audio-lighting/16825-big-stereo-upgrade.html#post232417

Steve.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I bought a 32gb SanDisk Cruser stick and have put nearly 5,000 songs on it. I did create a couple of folders for "Driving Songs" and "Summer Songs". All 5,000 titles carried over the tags which allows me to play an entire album or choose an artist or genre. When I choose to shuffle all songs it includes the titles from those folders as well.
I didn't toy with it long enough to figure out how to carry over playlists from my iTunes library but I know it can be done.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I don't know if you use Android or Apple, but I just ripped all my CD's to my Onedrive cloud account using WMA lossless and then synced it all to Google Play Music. I am using the native windows media player to rip CD's, which I actually like. It is fast and easy to work with as I set up my OneDrive as a local drive.

For transferring to Google Play Music, Google provides a Music Manager app you can install on your PC to make it easy for you. You don't need a subscription account to use Play Music for your personal music.

I then download all my albums to my phone on a 64gb micro SD card using highest quality setting (I believe it is 320kbps). This is plenty for streaming Bluetooth in a noisy car. I use Bluetooth audio to stream all my music and I can use my phone to navigate through all the albums and the steering wheel controls work for switching songs or pausing.

You can do the same if you use Apple and have iTunes.

It works much better than managing a file system on a USB drive.

You don't need to use a cloud drive. It might easier for you to use a local drive on a home computer, but by keeping all your music in the cloud, it is available anywhere, anytime, from any device and application. As a backup, I have a home backup drive I archive all my content to long term I keep offline unless needed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Does anyone have the premium bose system, heard it is pretty lame on the miata, and the standard system in the one I test drove was underwelming to say the least. It appears I will have an upgrade project for audio when I get the car.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Does anyone have the premium bose system, heard it is pretty lame on the miata, and the standard system in the one I test drove was underwelming to say the least. It appears I will have an upgrade project for audio when I get the car.
The Bose system is a good OEM system, but not great. It does well with the top up, not so well at speed with it down.

If you want to rattle the neighbors' windows, get the base system and customize it.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I appreciate all the replies – thanks all

But the thread seems to have gone a tad off topic

When I say that I am indifferent to digitally stored music I really do mean it. Cannot get excited at all about “the cloud”, interconnectivity with my iPhone, having access to 5 zillion songs, whatever. As for in car entertainment systems I cannot see the point on going big on those as the in-car environment will always gonna be compromised against sound reproduction. I’d rather spend the $$$ on home HiFi than car ICE …………I am looking at you Rega P6 – yes I am.

I guess all I want is to get the best from what I got ICE wise both in terms of easily accessing my tunes and sound – as long as its loud enough (bloody) and does not distort too much I will be a happy camper

Now if I could score one of these little gems ………oh happy days !!!
LP Car Player.jpg

PS: definitely not having a slight at those of you who are into digitally stored music and high end ICE systems

·
Registered
662 Posts
Silly question: is there a way to turn the system off or is muting it the only way?
Muting is the only way. It's odd that you can't turn the radio off, but that's how it is set up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts