Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Clasica
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey FIAT fans! The Austin area FIAT club meets every month, with our default time and location of the 2nd Saturday, 10:30am at Top notch Hamburgers on Burnet Rd. If you're in the area please come on by!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 1977 Fiat 124 Spider and would like to join your group. Fairly new to Austin and need to know where to get my car worked on, both mechanical and need new convertible top. You can contact me at [email protected] Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
Forgive me as a foreigner coming in to ask a dumb question, but is there anyone that can provide some insight as to how to get a club started? I'm trying to get something set up for Calgary or Alberta in general... but when I contacted FCA Canada's "Customer Care" team (and that is a true oxymoron), they told me there was nothing they could do for me in any capacity. To provide privacy, I was suggesting they message owners in the area and provide them with contact information if they were interested in joining a local owners' group. That way I wouldn't even know of them unless they chose to be contacted. Nope... no luck with that ploy.

So, given you folks have a club going, I'm seeking sage wisdom on how to get it off the ground. I don't want to take this thread off topic, so if you have info to share, please PM me and I'll start a separate thread on the topic of how to get a club started.

TIA

·
Registered
2019 Clasica
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Forgive me as a foreigner coming in to ask a dumb question, but is there anyone that can provide some insight as to how to get a club started? I'm trying to get something set up for Calgary or Alberta in general... but when I contacted FCA Canada's "Customer Care" team (and that is a true oxymoron), they told me there was nothing they could do for me in any capacity. To provide privacy, I was suggesting they message owners in the area and provide them with contact information if they were interested in joining a local owners' group. That way I wouldn't even know of them unless they chose to be contacted. Nope... no luck with that ploy.

So, given you folks have a club going, I'm seeking sage wisdom on how to get it off the ground. I don't want to take this thread off topic, so if you have info to share, please PM me and I'll start a separate thread on the topic of how to get a club started.

TIA
The current version of Austin's FIAT club started with a Facebook group. There were already a few members when I found it, but not much going on with them. I setup a regular meet to establish some consistency. I had some business cards printed up with the link to the FB group and when and where to find us. I gave them to the sales people at our local dealership to hand out to new customers, explaining that the local FIAT community was a perk of owning these cars. I also rabidly chased down every FIAT I saw and gave them a card :D

I also "re-activated" the Austin chapter of FLU (now FCA) and incorporated the classic FIATs. It helped that I've been into FIATs for nearly 25 years...

I spam the club's info to as many enthusiast sites as I can, such as right here LoL

Basically you just have to do everything you can to get the word out.

·
Registered
2019 Clasica
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a 1977 Fiat 124 Spider and would like to join your group. Fairly new to Austin and need to know where to get my car worked on, both mechanical and need new convertible top. You can contact me at [email protected] Thanks
I added you to my mailing list, although I don't email very often. Getting the car worked on may be tricky. I do all my own work, and can offer advice to you doing the same. Try to make it out to one of our meets on the 2nd Saturday of the month.

·
Registered
2019 Clasica
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This Saturday (April 13th) instead of our regularly scheduled lunch meet at Top Notch, we'll be joining the the Alfa club for a drive!

Harold has modified the Painted Churches Tour that John ran a few years ago. The roads are still great; the wildflowers are in bloom, and we will finish up at Kreuz Market in Lockhart for Barbecue. Our start will be the HEB at 7112 Ed Bluestein Blvd (east side of Austin), leaving at 8:30 AM.

*** RSVP REQUIRED ***
No later than Wednesday April 10, email Harold (harold -dot- downey -at- gmail -dot- com) with the number of people in your party, car you plan to drive, and a mobile number at which you can be reached during the tour. A tour package will be emailed out a couple of days ahead of the 13th with directions, a map, etc. Hope you all can join us.

FB event link:https://www.facebook.com/events/374955750009775/
AROC-USA post:https://www.aroc-usa.org/tx-32-txhillcountry/alfa-club-2019-spring-tour/

·
Registered
2019 Clasica
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This Saturday (April 13th) instead of our regularly scheduled lunch meet at Top Notch, we'll be joining the the Alfa club for a drive!

Harold has modified the Painted Churches Tour that John ran a few years ago. The roads are still great; the wildflowers are in bloom, and we will finish up at Kreuz Market in Lockhart for Barbecue. Our start will be the HEB at 7112 Ed Bluestein Blvd (east side of Austin), leaving at 8:30 AM.

*** RSVP REQUIRED ***
No later than Wednesday April 10, email Harold (harold -dot- downey -at- gmail -dot- com) with the number of people in your party, car you plan to drive, and a mobile number at which you can be reached during the tour. A tour package will be emailed out a couple of days ahead of the 13th with directions, a map, etc. Hope you all can join us.

FB event link:https://www.facebook.com/events/374955750009775/
AROC-USA post:https://www.aroc-usa.org/tx-32-txhillcountry/alfa-club-2019-spring-tour/
The drive has been postponed to the 20th due to rain!

·
Registered
2019 Clasica
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This thread deserves an update...

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Had a great turn out!

? Well you should have, charcoal burgers and fried chicken and shrimp? I would fly there just for that, lol

·
Registered
2019 Clasica
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How does free beer after Top Notch this Saturday sound?! David graciously invited us to Rentsch Brewery in Georgetown to have one on him. We can take a little scenic drive up there after we get lunch at Top Notch.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts