Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I took a 3 day trip from our home in Melbourne, Australia to a local scenic drive called the Great Ocean Road. It was the first time we had given the Spider a good run. Here’s some photos from our trip.
The boot was stuffed with our bags, coats and eski (coolbox).

We set off across the Westgate Bridge out of Melbourne. My wife was driving and insisted on having the roof up. That didn’t last long!

We were soon in the windy roads of the Otway mountains heading down to the Great Ocean Road.

My wife was thoroughly enjoying the drive now and had the top down. She wouldn’t allow me to have a go!

We arrived on the Great Ocean Road - one of the world’s great scenic coastal drives, complete with loads of tourist buses and slow cars!

The scenery on the Great Ocean Road is spectacular

And it is one of the world’s top surf spots

We had a few stops to take photos

We arrived at our accommodation in a town called Torquay

The next day we toured the local area including a visit to the entrance to Port Philip (the bay which Melbourne is on. My wife wanted to go on a big walk so there were not many driving-related photos that day. This is the lighthouse at Point Hedland.

On our last day we returned to Melbourne and stopped at a new Marina called Wyndham Harbour

Our last stop was at a Melbourne suburb called Williamstown. You can see the city of Melbourne in the background.

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Great road and great pics. The only problem with it is that it's always got slow tourist traffic on it and I always get stuck behind some triffid driving a white Camry or towing a caravan. Your only hope of a clean run is around sunrise. The cops also love raising government revenue there too!

I've pretty much given up on it as a joyous "drivers road" but there are some great and less crowded roads through the adjacent Otways.

Reactions: The Lifeboatman

·
Registered
62 Posts
Congratulations on a great choice of Roadster.
Yes! We are lucky to have such consistency sunny weather in most parts of Australia making even shorter trips fabulous in an Abarth Spider. I bought mine in October last year. Most of the time and right from the word go nothing but sunshine with just the ocassional cloudier day. This is right up to now end of March 2018. Winter conditions will set in soon though. Even with the Roof up. Pleasure to drive. Never had such an enjoyable Car. Bet you Guy's enjoyed your drive even more in the Spider. ☺

·
Registered
534 Posts
Nice ride. Hopefully, your wife allowed you to take the wheel at some point! :D

·
848 Posts
I want to go, thanks for sharing

1 - 9 of 9 Posts