Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a question regarding how air conditioning works with the climate control. If I set the climate control to auto, and I hit the AC button to include AC (the AC light is on), is the AC always on (i.e. is the compressor always engaged), or does it get cycled on and off as it is needed?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Seems to cycle on and off as needed. Auto just has an algorithm for setting fan speed and outlets to maintain the set temperature, as far as I know. Otherwise it's the same as any other climate control system.

·
Registered
476 Posts
a/c systems have pressure switches and other switches in the lines and elsewhere that cycle a clutch on the compressor. there is usually a low pressure switch so that the system doesn't actuate the clutch if there is no freon. there is a high pressure switch to cut off the clutch so you don't blow something apart in the system. there can be a sensor at the evaporator coil to disengage the clutch so things don't freeze up. the sensors are also used to switch on things like the radiator fan.

·
Registered
560 Posts
It cycles on and off. I leave it on auto and all I ever have to do is raise or lower the temperature rather than mess with other settings. If I need it cooled in a hurry, I lower it more and the fan speeds up. And vice versa.

Reactions: karmatourer
1 - 4 of 4 Posts