Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been an amazing first month with the 124 Abarth, and I am finding it to be one of the most fun driving cars I have owned. I started the process with the Auto Ricambi exhaust, or essentially a muffler delete. I picked up the non-res version, so it's essentially a straight pipe. I ordered it via phone from them (they are in Texas), and it was shipped out next day. I received it in two days to SoCal, great packaging, very well protected.

I was surprised how light the exhaust is, only about 22lbs...lighter than stock. Install is easy with a lift, took about 10 min. I love the sounds now, although the wife feels it is a bit too loud when you get on it, so I might recommend the resonated version. I didn't realize that the cross-pipe and mid-pipe really don't have any resonators, or at least that is what it looked like.

For the price, you really can't go wrong and now the 124 sounds like it should have come from the factory.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
love mine too...except I got the exhaust with the resonators. lovely rumble.

I don't have access to a car lift, so I did it on my drive way. Actually, I had plenty of room to work on removing and installing... without jacking the vehicle up. The saving grace is having the exhaust hanger removal tool. Best upgrade so far.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I went with the GWR exhaust, I found the unresonated version to be too loud. I have since added a resonated mid pipe and it sounds great. a nice low burbling rumble, and some nice pops when letting off from a high rev rasp...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went with the GWR exhaust, I found the unresonated version to be too loud. I have since added a resonated mid pipe and it sounds great. a nice low burbling rumble, and some nice pops when letting off from a high rev rasp...
What resonated mid-pipe did you get?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I like the exhaust from Autoricambi, but not the tips. I width they had it with interchangeable tips - I'd like some quad tips, larger than the Abarth OEM, but in black (black chrome, matte black or carbon fiber). It does look pretty unique, though. Exhaust is my next upgrade; just....choices, choices.

·
Registered
7 Posts
For Sale Auto Ricambi resonated exhaust

Guys, just installed my Auto Ricambi resonated exhaust yesterday on my 2017 Lusso. Did the job myself. Wife says it is too loud so I am putting it up for sale. :( I will be removing it next Saturday and putting it back in the box. If you are interested I am selling it for $300.00. I will include the Lisle muffler hanger removal tool and the 14mm deep socket needed to remove the stock exhaust. I am located in southern CA, near Mission Viejo.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
I'll take it off your hands!
Pretty sure it's sold..OP has only a few Post. It's worth the price even what Auto Ricambi is asking. The OP's price was a Steal!

·
772 Posts
Looks great...

It's been an amazing first month with the 124 Abarth, and I am finding it to be one of the most fun driving cars I have owned. I started the process with the Auto Ricambi exhaust, or essentially a muffler delete. I picked up the non-res version, so it's essentially a straight pipe. I ordered it via phone from them (they are in Texas), and it was shipped out next day. I received it in two days to SoCal, great packaging, very well protected.

I was surprised how light the exhaust is, only about 22lbs...lighter than stock. Install is easy with a lift, took about 10 min. I love the sounds now, although the wife feels it is a bit too loud when you get on it, so I might recommend the resonated version. I didn't realize that the cross-pipe and mid-pipe really don't have any resonators, or at least that is what it looked like.

For the price, you really can't go wrong and now the 124 sounds like it should have come from the factory.
Glad you liked it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Orion: Thanks for write up and pics, and tip on hangar removal tool. One question, does the new exhaust come with a gasket or does the bolt up area just go metal to metal?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Did this same mod last week. Actually, my 13 y/o son did all the work. We went with the quad tip non resonated. So glad we did. Nice rumble and pops. You should have seen the smile on his face when he started the car after install. Priceless.

Attachments

·
772 Posts
Orion: Thanks for write up and pics, and tip on hangar removal tool. One question, does the new exhaust come with a gasket or does the bolt up area just go metal to metal?
The new AR system comes with all hardware needed to install it onto the Spider.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just installed the resonated AR exhaust (17 Lusso MT). Was doable with one person but not having a lift made it a pain. I eventually put in on a jack with some jack stands set as back up. That helped.

Problem points: 1) didn't have exhaust hanger removal tool. Used a pry bar wedged against muffler and channel locks. 2) breaking loose the old bolts on the flange - most of the problem was leverage due to low height under car. 3) getting the new gasket in proper place - the flange on the new didn't exactly line up with the old so it was a bit of a guessing game if I got it right. Seems to have worked.

Easier than expected: 1) getting the new exhaust hanging pins in the rubber hangers - went right it like butter.

Review: Love the sound - I can finally hear the exhaust while driving. Has some nice burbles. Loud when you get on it but not at all loud if you aren't on it. Initial start up is pretty boomy but a blip of the throttle brings it back to normal. I had noticed the old exhaust is louder with the top up than down and this is similar but it's not an issue with the top up. When you get the rev match on the downshift just right it sounds awesome.

Two mods in so far: GoPedal and AR exhaust. Thumbs up for both. GFB DV+ is the next one - have it; just haven't put it in yet.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Just installed the resonated AR exhaust (17 Lusso MT). Was doable with one person but not having a lift made it a pain. I eventually put in on a jack with some jack stands set as back up. That helped.

Problem points: 1) didn't have exhaust hanger removal tool. Used a pry bar wedged against muffler and channel locks. 2) breaking loose the old bolts on the flange - most of the problem was leverage due to low height under car. 3) getting the new gasket in proper place - the flange on the new didn't exactly line up with the old so it was a bit of a guessing game if I got it right. Seems to have worked.

Easier than expected: 1) getting the new exhaust hanging pins in the rubber hangers - went right it like butter.

Review: Love the sound - I can finally hear the exhaust while driving. Has some nice burbles. Loud when you get on it but not at all loud if you aren't on it. Initial start up is pretty boomy but a blip of the throttle brings it back to normal. I had noticed the old exhaust is louder with the top up than down and this is similar but it's not an issue with the top up. When you get the rev match on the downshift just right it sounds awesome.

Two mods in so far: GoPedal and AR exhaust. Thumbs up for both. GFB DV+ is the next one - have it; just haven't put it in yet.
So far I haven't seen a single person who's been disappointed with the AR exhaust (except Mrs. @68wooley ). My wife isn't very happy with the GWR turbo back exhaust in my car and no longer wants to ride in it with me. I'd love to experiment with seeing if the AR resonated axle back would mate up to the GWR mid pipe to tone it down just a notch or two.

I have an exhaust hanger removal tool and it was a complete waste of money. Spraying the hanger with soapy water and just pulling the exhaust off by hand worked much better.

·
772 Posts
So far I haven't seen a single person who's been disappointed with the AR exhaust (except Mrs. @68wooley ). My wife isn't very happy with the GWR turbo back exhaust in my car and no longer wants to ride in it with me. I'd love to experiment with seeing if the AR resonated axle back would mate up to the GWR mid pipe to tone it down just a notch or two.

I have an exhaust hanger removal tool and it was a complete waste of money. Spraying the hanger with soapy water and just pulling the exhaust off by hand worked much better.
I have one I could send you if you want to try it. It is one of the prototypes so it is not as pretty but the fit and sound are the same.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I have one I could send you if you want to try it. It is one of the prototypes so it is not as pretty but the fit and sound are the same.
Sure. That would be cool.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts

They will connect, but the AR is stock diameter, not a good match to the GWR system.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Hope my GF doesn’t dislike the Monza 🙂

So far she’s enjoying it! Intake noise makes her smile.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts