Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I saw this in a email as a new product . $499, simple plug in, 27hp. Looks to be made in Italy . New to the whole tuning thing , but can anyone chime in on this product . Thanks

·
755 Posts
Chipbox

I saw this in a email as a new product . $499, simple plug in, 27hp. Looks to be made in Italy . New to the whole tuning thing , but can anyone chime in on this product . Thanks
Flash tunes and piggybacks, choices, choices. This is a good thing and to be honest if all you want is a quick, safe boost in performance, the Chipbox is a good way to go. There are lots of options out there and most of them do what they claim to do. It comes down to making a choice based on what your ultimate objective is.

The horsepower gains are what the Italian manufacture Seletron claims based on their dyno results on a Spider without any other mods (as with all tuning, your results may vary). They are a leader in building these devices for many makes of cars including our FIAT. I have heard nothing but positive comments from folks who have used this product and if you want a quick bump, this is the way to get it without doing a flash tune.

Ultimately, a flash tune will get more power than a piggyback if the supporting mods are performed but that is a more permanent mod to your car. Each person must decide what is right for them and how far they want to go. The Chipbox is easily removed if you ever need or wish to return to the car to stock and is not tied to the car like a flash tune is.

The installation is not hard, probably takes 30 minutes to 1 hour depending on skills and experience. If I can help any more, please let me know.
Thank you

https://autoricambi.us/collections/2017-performance-upgrades/products/2017on-fiat-124-spider-chipbox-performance-unit

·
755 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Simple installation, easily reversible, and won't break the bank, nice, sounds good to me. I'd like to see the results on a dyno with US spec'd Spider. Do you have any plans to do that Brett?

Paul

·
755 Posts
Dyno numbers

Simple installation, easily reversible, and won't break the bank, nice, sounds good to me. I'd like to see the results on a dyno with US spec'd Spider. Do you have any plans to do that Brett?

Paul
We discussed doing this but since we did not develop this product, we felt that the numbers would not be relevant to anything concrete. This is a reputable manufacturer and the gains feel good. Of course, it would vary somewhat depending on what is done to the spider. Even Manual vs Automatic will make a difference.

At some point, we may do this for grins but as of now, the claims are based on Seletron for the Spider. We also have good feedback from folks who have used it.
Thanks

·
Registered
430 Posts
We discussed doing this but since we did not develop this product, we felt that the numbers would not be relevant to anything concrete. This is a reputable manufacturer and the gains feel good. Of course, it would vary somewhat depending on what is done to the spider. Even Manual vs Automatic will make a difference.

At some point, we may do this for grins but as of now, the claims are based on Seletron for the Spider. We also have good feedback from folks who have used it.
Thanks
I understand Brett, different dynos, different cars, different climate conditions, mod's, etc., but some data on a US spec'd vehicle can only help my confidence in any performance product. There are many products and many claims and little empirical data on which to base a decision. I've been disappointed by manufactures who made claims they couldn't come close to delivering, so I gotta ask.... show me, bring me mo torque please. Thx..

Please don't think I being critical of the product or of you, I'm not. :)

Paul

·
755 Posts
I understand completely, I want to see the proof too when I consider buying something. With this type of product, it is a plug and play kind of thing. Unlike a tune where other mods are needed, the Chipbox offers a packaged upgrade for folks who may be happy with just a little more performance. Based on the performance that we have noticed when installed, the claims should be pretty close. Either way, it feels good and wakes the Spider up in a nice way.

I didn't take it as critical but thanks.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Brett, did Seletron develop this product on the European 124, or the European Abarth? As you know, each has different power output from the factory, with the European Abarth comparable to the North American Spiders.

·
755 Posts
Chipbox

Brett, did Seletron develop this product on the European 124, or the European Abarth? As you know, each has different power output from the factory, with the European Abarth comparable to the North American Spiders.
It was originally developed on the Euro Spider but the one we sell works perfectly and is made for the North American model.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
It was originally developed on the Euro Spider but the one we sell works perfectly and is made for the North American model.
Thanks Brett.

·
755 Posts
Chipbox

So with a v4 intake , catback exhaust would that HP number go up?.

As with any mod like those, it can only help the final results.

Without actual dyno testing the car before and after, it would be impossible to say how much it would help but I like to think it would. The v4 intake is a great product (have one on my Abarth 500) and a better exhaust always helps. At the very least it sounds better.

If you plan to stop here, a piggyback is a good way to go. If you plan to keep going then you might be better off with a flash tune.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Bumping to see if anyone has actually tried this product. I'm intrigued by the idea of a poor mans tune alternative that won't potentially cause me any warranty issues.

Did any of you actually install this?

·
755 Posts
Bumping to see if anyone has actually tried this product. I'm intrigued by the idea of a poor mans tune alternative that won't potentially cause me any warranty issues.

Did any of you actually install this?
If you would like, I could possibly put you in touch with a few of our customers who have installed these for feedback. So far, we have had 100% positive feedback from these.

As you said, it is a good option to a flash tune and livens the car up.

·
Registered
790 Posts
@Brett67 , let me ask you this..

I don't track my Abarth or hit the drag strip so 0-60 or 1/4 mile times are not important to me. What I'm looking for is simply a more spirited ("punchier") everday drive. I drive exclusively in Sport mode as non-Sport Mode seems lifeless. So I suppose what I'm after is the same type of driving improvement as I get from Sport mode as compared to normal.

To that end, without going the flash tune route would I be best served by something like the Chipbox, or the PedalBooster, or yes, even both?

Edit: I'm driving a manual, if that matters.

·
755 Posts
@Brett67 , let me ask you this..

I don't track my Abarth or hit the drag strip so 0-60 or 1/4 mile times are not important to me. What I'm looking for is simply a more spirited ("punchier") everday drive. I drive exclusively in Sport mode as non-Sport Mode seems lifeless. So I suppose what I'm after is the same type of driving improvement as I get from Sport mode as compared to normal.

To that end, without going the flash tune route would I be best served by something like the Chipbox, or the PedalBooster, or yes, even both?

Edit: I'm driving a manual, if that matters.
Full disclosure, we do sell this product so I obviously believe in it and what it claims to offer. This being said, I have experienced it firsthand and can say that it makes the car much more fun to drive and is how it should have been from the factory. If you really want to make it punch, add the Selectron ThrottleBooster and it will put a smile on your face everytime you mash the skinny pedal, even in non-sport.

As I said, we have gotten very positive feedback from these products from our customers and they are TuV approved and high-quality products, plug and play.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Chip box vs throttle boost vs tune vs...

Also new to the tuning game and am interested I the chip box.
The chip box + throttle boost is same price as a tune.
Between the chip box and the throttle boost which a better bang for the buck?
Do both together provide the same power as a tune?
Wanting to get more low end power and not spend the bucks all at once the Seletron boxes sound like a good deal?

·
755 Posts
Also new to the tuning game and am interested I the chip box.
The chip box + throttle boost is same price as a tune.
Between the chip box and the throttle boost which a better bang for the buck?
Do both together provide the same power as a tune?
Wanting to get more low end power and not spend the bucks all at once the Seletron boxes sound like a good deal?
The throttle boost enhances the experience of a tune or a Chipbox. It improves the throttle response and fun factor but does not increase horsepower.

We have had great results from the Chipbox and if you are looking for a quick, reversible way to add some power, this is an affordable option. Flash tunes are great if you plan to go further and continue to add mods and seek more power.

Cannot go wrong either way. Give me a PM or call if you need more info. Thanks

1 - 20 of 34 Posts