Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I”m currently not a 124 owner, however, I’m thinking I might trade in my 15 Abarth C for one if there is a way to mount a hitch mounted bike rack. I’ve searched the site and found a couple of threads about a hitch and posted in them. I have found a hitch that will mount on the new ND Miata so the mounting should be the same. But, the manufacturer told me the problem is the back up light pod on the 124. It hangs in the way of the receiver. So my question to those who have a 124. Is the backup light pod removable? Or is it part of the rear bummer itself? Has anyone taken the pod off? Any info on the subject would be helpful. A parts diagram, close-up photo of the pod showing attachment to the bummer, experience etc. The only info I don’t need is to get a trunk mounted rack or something like it.

Thanks agin
Bruce
North Central FL

·
Registered
257 Posts
6 screws and it's out. Super easy. Now, the issue you will likely run into is whether the Miata hitch's receiver lines up perfectly in the opening once removed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. That's a good question. It may require a little work with the welder plus extend the receiver as well.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm not fond of removing stuff like lights from the car. I'm planning on building a hitch myself for it. Since I'll only be towing a small 15-20CF trailer (like what is for pulling behind a motorcycle) I don't have to worry about it being to class V standards.
My basic plan is to grab a miata hitch and then modify it to remove the current hitch slide point and install two channels running vertical that will allow a |_| shaped hitch to slide in with enough clearance on either side of the reverse light.
The welding won't be an issue for me but I'm planning on using some plate for the rear facing hitch leg and then the riser that would take the ball above the reverse light. Was thinking about bending the plate but will probably end up just welding it also.

·
Registered
16 Posts
@TDPerry can you please post a picture when you fabricate this solution? I want only to use hitch for 20lb bike rack with 25 lb bike, but I'm not finding a good solution here yet. Thx

·
Registered
150 Posts
Haven't had a chance to mess with it much lately as it's become a lower priority compared to some other stuff I've got going on. Honestly it will probably be at least 6 months before I look at doing this now.

·
Registered
150 Posts
@DowneasTTer or @TDPerry - did you ever get this resolved? Inquiring minds want to know....
Not yet. I've gotten deep into another hobby right now (guitar) and since the need for the hitch is not that outstanding since we decided if we go somewhere we can haul the Fiat on a trailer behind the 4Runner.

I'm still looking at doing it, but also have to wait until I can get my hands on a MIG welder as I prefer them for this type of work compared to a stick welder.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts