Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
I don't get exactly angry, but I know where you're coming from. There aren't a lot of convertibles in Minnesota, but of those that I see, 9 out of 10 always have their tops up. It's a shame considering how short our "top down" season is. I might be on the extreme side, but if it is 45 or warmer, the top is down. The heater in our cars is quite effective on the cooler days. :)

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Seat heaters! :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm waiting on mine to arrive and every beautiful day I think "Oh if I only could put my top down" Today was especially glorious and difficult! But it's Florida, I will have plenty of days to drive with the top down!

·
Registered
615 Posts
I couldn't care less what other people choose to do. Sometimes I have my top down and everyone else has their's up, sometimes everyone else has their's down, and I have mine up! :p

·
Registered
76 Posts
I can't understand the thought process that gets a person to buy a convertible, but not drop the top at every opportunity. Day or night, I've got the top down any time it's over 40 degrees out. Convertibles can be a compromise with all of the wind noise and cramped interior to make room for the top, so why buy one if you are not going to drop the top? Maybe it's an image thing, like someone that buys a Jeep Wrangler, yet is afraid to take it off of pavement.

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
I do have to say that when you get in the tropics/sub-tropics in summer, it can be dangerous to go top down in the middle of the day. 30mins and you've got 3rd degree burns

·
Retired Moderator
676 Posts
Didn't see any tops down out here in the dead of the summer when it was above 105 everyday. But I did expect to see some down when it started to cool of back into the 80's but still hardly no one with a top down. Kind of funny. Their choice...I enjoy mine down every chance I get.:D

·
Registered
560 Posts
I do have to say that when you get in the tropics/sub-tropics in summer, it can be dangerous to go top down in the middle of the day. 30mins and you've got 3rd degree burns
Agreed - same in the Louisiana hot sun. Plus the intense sunlight can't be all that good for the interior. Depending on the day, I'll put the top up or sometimes just wear a cap. I've noticed the 124 A/C does very, very well against the Louisiana heat - far better than my BMW did - top up or down.
Heat is good, too.

Reactions: wedgewa

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah well I live in San Francisco where it's 60-75 degrees F and blue sky daily. Absolutely no excuses :) Maybe it's because taking their top down is a chore? I'm definitely spoiled with how fast you can switch up the 124 spider's top.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I've driven convertibles for years, but since 2011 I've driven a hard top. Eventually my doctor diagnosed me with a deficiency in Vitamin D, the sunshine vitamin.

I've only had my 124 since Saturday and I'm already getting a tan. Ha.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I ride a motorcycle. Motorcycles, you may have noticed, don't have tops. I live in the US NW, and the top is down if it ain't raining. I tend to not ride the bike if it has rained recently and the streets are still wet - especially this time of year, when the roads are covered with wet leaves. But I can sure drive the Fiat! So down goes the top and off I go! When the sun (seldom) shines, I keep the top down and wear long sleeves and a cap with flaps to keep the sun off my ears. And I agree that the top is so easy to operate, why not drop it? You can do it while waiting at a red light!

·
Registered
191 Posts
I typically don't drive top-down midday here in Southern California for sun/skin reasons, and because sometimes it's just plain hot, but that still leaves plenty of time in the morning, late afternoon, and evening.

Threads on the Miata forums repeatedly show that many people buy these roadsters for other reasons than the convertible aspect, and would actually prefer a coupe variant of the same car, if one were available.

Different strokes.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Threads on the Miata forums repeatedly show that many people buy these roadsters for other reasons than the convertible aspect, and would actually prefer a coupe variant of the same car, if one were available.

Different strokes.
Agreed. My brother owned a Boxster until the Cayman came out. Hated driving with the top down! :|

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Agreed. My brother owned a Boxster until the Cayman came out. Hated driving with the top down! :|
Convertible Porsches have a bit of a stigma here in Aus though. Being driven by WAGS and middle aged men wearing too much gold jewellery.

·
Registered
476 Posts
This is the first convertible I've owned and I've noticed I've started getting irrationally angry at other convertible drivers who leave their top up on a sunny day. Just me? :eek:
i have known multiple people who have bought a convertible car and i never once saw them put the top down. it seemed to me to be a specific demographic. i always thought it was so odd to spend extra money on a specialty car and never use the one option that made the car what it is. can;t say it ever made me angry/irritated just seemed silly on their part.

Reactions: PureAdrenaline

·
Registered
727 Posts
Convertible Porsches have a bit of a stigma here in Aus though. Being driven by WAGS and middle aged men wearing too much gold jewellery.
Funny. The U.S. is the land of 'guns & Rolexes' and here in SoCal, really bad facelifts (both sexes). I belonged to a Corvette forum for 5 years and posts such a "Where do you store your gun in your Vette?" and "What sort of Rolex do you own?" were exceptionally popular. I was aghast.

Reactions: RBH58

·
Registered
958 Posts
Funny. The U.S. is the land of 'guns & Rolexes' and here in SoCal, really bad facelifts (both sexes). I belonged to a Corvette forum for 5 years and posts such a "Where do you store your gun in your Vette?" and "What sort of Rolex do you own?" were exceptionally popular. I was aghast.
I like that the Fiat has a lockable compartment between the seats. That's where I keep my Rolex. er Ruger.>:)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I like that the Fiat has a lockable compartment between the seats. That's where I keep my Rolex. er Ruger.>:)
That is a handy compartment. It holds a CZ P01 quite well while driving in those nicely supported seats. The Rolex stays on the wrist though :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts