Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving about 10 car length behind the car in front... not sure how a rock flew and hit the bottom driver side windshield and left a crack that spread over 12 inches in just a few minutes. :crying:

Since this car is still new, windshield cost over $1400 at the dealers without labor. Insurance glass claims it is... rather pay the deductible fee and get a new windshield with no penalty.

I hate bad luck just like everyone else. I hate paying for something that isn't necessary or planned.

·
Registered
683 Posts
That sucks! This is something that I worry about, there is a lot of road construction going on here in New England. I had bad luck with the windshield on my 500, I had to replace it twice! (luckily, I have glass coverage)

·
Registered
479 Posts
is the mazda windshield the same? perhaps it would be cheaper to get it from a mazda dealership. no mopar etchings, but if you can save a few hundred bucks......

·
Registered
490 Posts
Bummer. Good luck.
I got hit a few weeks ago. Thankfully just a small ding. Gotta call Safetite soon.

·
Registered
166 Posts
is the mazda windshield the same? perhaps it would be cheaper to get it from a mazda dealership. no mopar etchings, but if you can save a few hundred bucks......
Our's is more soundproof, so no it's not the same. But I would think a good glass person should be able to make a Mazda windshield work, as long as you didn't mind loosing some of the soundproofing that you get from the Fiat windshield.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Our's is more soundproof, so no it's not the same. But I would think a good glass person should be able to make a Mazda windshield work, as long as you didn't mind loosing some of the soundproofing that you get from the Fiat windshield.
at $1500 a pop, I would be inclined to opt for the $200 noisy windshield if it fits into the windshield frame and will seal the interior from water..... just my $ 0.02..... or should I say $ 1499.98

·
Registered
726 Posts
Yeah, I'd go for the non-insulated Mazda windshield if it's hundreds cheaper. I doubt that the MX5 owners are complaining. The sound insulation was a silly marketing ploy to appeal to an older demographic who possibly hasn't owned a convertible before.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I took a look at Safelite's web site tonight - the difference between the Mazda and the Fiat windshields is $1200 for my area. If the Mazda one works its a great deal.

·
Registered
2017 Abarth Rosso, Manual, GFB Diverter, Top Speed Axle back exhaust. Took possession Dec16
62 Posts
Might want to study up, my Abarth has the rain sensor wipers. Ran accross a site that says there is a difference in the glass for the sensors to work properly. But then again we could just use the fall back of manually controlling the wipers.
I also live in So Cal and have gotten a few chips that reflect light at certain angles, and of course drivers side right at eye level. Got to double check if I got the windshield insurance on my Abarth, did on my 430i.
Sure beats getting a rock in the forehead though.

Reactions: pikeman

·
Registered
726 Posts
The MX5 Grand Touring has a rain sensor windshield as well.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
The rain sensor wiper is glued on the windshield behind the rear view mirror, therefore it's not part of the windshield. I had my windshield replaced and they just glued the sensor on the windshield (yes there was a place to just glue it on.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Buying a new windshield here in CO is basically a yearly expense, no one has a perfect windshield here for more than an hour or so. Got mine in April and my windshield is chipped and pitted everywhere.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Might want to study up, my Abarth has the rain sensor wipers. Ran accross a site that says there is a difference in the glass for the sensors to work properly. But then again we could just use the fall back of manually controlling the wipers.
I also live in So Cal and have gotten a few chips that reflect light at certain angles, and of course drivers side right at eye level. Got to double check if I got the windshield insurance on my Abarth, did on my 430i.
Sure beats getting a rock in the forehead though.
I decided to go with my insurance glass coverage and pay my $500 deductible and let the insurance eat the rest of the cost without any negative effect on my coverage or premium. Mine is lower bottom end driver side and the crack spread to the center of the whole windshield and I also have problem with the crack reflecting the sunlight into my eye.

As for the sensors, I was asked by my insurance (Geico), and I just told them I don't think we have that on the classica model. Anyone know if that is an option or does it come only on a certain model?

Bad news is, there is a waiting for the windshield. Safelite just called and said it could take 2+ weeks or maybe a little longer to get it from the manufacturer. Bummer. So if you plan to get yours done, check your insurance now because it will take a while before they can get their hand on it to install it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
As for the sensors, I was asked by my insurance (Geico), and I just told them I don't think we have that on the classica model. Anyone know if that is an option or does it come only on a certain model?
The rain and dusk sensor is standard on the Lusso and Abarth. It is not available on the Classica. (at least in the USA)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts