Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2017, 124 Classica│2013, 500 Cabrio
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here! Just picked up a used 2017 Classica. Love it!! Much better build quality than my 500.

Already made a few mods, rearrange some badging. What do to you think? It’s obviously not an Abarth but couldn’t resist the allure of adding at least one scorpion... might be a little small though - what do you think?

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Yep...agree with the lads...on it's own the badge would have looked puny but the stripe brings it out. Nothing wrong with removing the FIAT logo "in my opinion", I also have "The 124 Classica" with I have Modded (see Brexit Mods thread) to suit ME. including removing front, rear and steering wheel logos in favour of gel "Abarth & Co", the original 1949 Carl Abarth logo....what he did was took ordinary Fiat vehicles and Modded them, so as I have "Abarthised" my 124 Spider in the spirit of the original 1949 Abarth I have no shame or fear in MY Spider "Proudly" wearing those badges.......Your 124 Spider, you do what makes You Happy..........
Not sure I agree with the 500 build quality completely though....Not owned one myself and I know they had plenty of faults when they first hit the UK shores, but last few years they have become much more reliable and indeed are / were keeping Fiat afloat, though again not sure quite where Fiat are heading these days......Cheers
ron

·
Registered
161 Posts
i actually really like the removal of the rear fiat badging and replacing it with the 124 spider emblem.

how was the removal process of the fiat rear emblem? i'm assuming there were no drill holes left behind? also, were marks left on the trunk that you covered with the stripe?

if i were to do this to my car i'd have to remove the 124 spider emblem from where it is now, remove the fiat badging on the rear and then place the 124 spider emblem to where yours is now but i wouldn't add the stripe. just wondering what the paint is like underneath that fiat badge and whether there were noticeable marks and/or holes you had to deal with.

i also noticed that you removed the shark fin antenna - what is that antenna's purpose? to provide gps information for the sat nav system? why do we have two antennae? i'm assuming one is for gps and the other is for the radio? i would imagine that removing the shark fin antenna would involve covering up holes with something which the stripe may be hiding.

·
Registered
35 Posts
New here! Just picked up a used 2017 Classica. Love it!! Much better build quality than my 500.

Already made a few mods, rearrange some badging. What do to you think? It’s obviously not an Abarth but couldn’t resist the allure of adding at least one scorpion... might be a little small though - what do you think? View attachment 78872
How do you remove the logos? I don't see a way to get to the back side of them?

·
Premium Member
‘18 Abarth 124Spider
209 Posts
You have to remove the fabric cover on the lid of the trunk/boot. This is easily done by taking out the black plastic fasteners, just pull up the middle the remove the rest. Then you will see two plastic plugs where the badge is. Also the FIAT/Abarth logo will have some double sided tape helping hold it down. There will he two plug holes after removal.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You have to remove the fabric cover on the lid of the trunk/boot. This is easily done by taking out the black plastic fasteners, just pull up the middle the remove the rest. Then you will see two plastic plugs where the badge is. Also the FIAT/Abarth logo will have some double sided tape helping hold it down. There will he two plug holes after removal.
Excellent! Thanks.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Welcome to the forum nice to have new members around with creativity

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
i also noticed that you removed the shark fin antenna - what is that antenna's purpose? to provide gps information for the sat nav system? why do we have two antennae? i'm assuming one is for gps and the other is for the radio? i would imagine that removing the shark fin antenna would involve covering up holes with something which the stripe may be hiding.
The sharkfin antenna is only for XM, and yes there will be holes to be filled in. Probably the main reason for the stripe - to cover up the bondo ;) Just noticed he has a 2017 Classica, so no sharkfin.

GPS antenna is just behind your gauges.

·
Registered
2017, 124 Classica│2013, 500 Cabrio
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How do you remove the logos? I don't see a way to get to the back side of them?
You need to remove the upper trunk liner. Pretty easy, then remove the screw backings. They come off with plyers and a little force. Then the emblem should lift off, it's glued too so take your time, and use a paint-safe glue remover after you're done to get the residue off.

·
Registered
2019 124 Spider Abarth
281 Posts
Looks nice. I had the badge removed and hold filled on my 2017 when it was rear-ended and needed a new trunk lid. Really cleans up the car to get rid of it all. The 2019 I have had the XM antenna too - would love for them both to dissappear!

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
View attachment 78891 Here’s what I did to the Fiat emblems, for both front and back. I also covered the steering wheel with the same carbon fibre stick-on coating but without the spider.
Really Good Len, Well Done ! Where did you get the Spider ? Cheers
ron

·
Registered
98 Posts
Len - I agree with Ron - that Spider emblem is really nice. I'd also be interested to know where you got it.

Reactions: Brexit !

·
Registered
104 Posts
C93CC905-27EF-4CDF-A5E7-416E21553CAA.png
I got these from Amazon Canada. Dirt cheap for 2 pieces.
The spider body is flat so can be glued onto the Fiat emblem, but the spider arms do not have the curvature, but still looks quite good.
I didn’t want to remove the original emblems, so what I did was clean the emblems with alcohol and applied a carbon fibre wrap and activated it using a hair dryer. Then I very carefully trimmed the wrap, cleaned it with alcohol and glued the spider onto the wrap using contact cement. I didn’t think the glue on the spider was good enough so I used contact cement.
With two of these spiders for $10, I covered both the front and the rear emblems.
For the steering wheel, I just wrapped the emblem. Looks really good, I’m very pleased with the results, and these can be removed at any time with zero damage to the Fiat emblems.
Cheers

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
View attachment 78916 I got these from Amazon Canada. Dirt cheap for 2 pieces.
The spider body is flat so can be glued onto the Fiat emblem, but the spider arms do not have the curvature, but still looks quite good.
I didn’t want to remove the original emblems, so what I did was clean the emblems with alcohol and applied a carbon fibre wrap and activated it using a hair dryer. Then I very carefully trimmed the wrap, cleaned it with alcohol and glued the spider onto the wrap using contact cement. I didn’t think the glue on the spider was good enough so I used contact cement.
With two of these spiders for $10, I covered both the front and the rear emblems.
For the steering wheel, I just wrapped the emblem. Looks really good, I’m very pleased with the results, and these can be removed at any time with zero damage to the Fiat emblems.
Cheers
Cheers Len....ron

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks Len - much appreciated!

·
Registered
2 Posts

Already made a few mods, rearrange some badging. What do to you think? It’s obviously not an Abarth but couldn’t resist the allure of adding at least one scorpion... might be a little small though - what do you think? View attachment 78872

Below is my 2018
IMG_20200826_065451876.jpg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts