Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I live at the end of a very twisty, very fun road in the Cascade foothills. It makes for a wonderful start and end to an otherwise pretty boring commute. Last night on the way home, climbing into a sharp right-hand curve, a car going the opposite direction appeared to be cutting their apex short and drifting over the double-yellow. I know this road well and went as far inside as I thought I safely could to avoid a possible collision, but... it's been a snowy winter followed by a very wet early spring. The inside shoulder now has a few new jagged, worn edges/potholes/washouts that aren't readily visible from the road.

Insanely loud bang and an intense shudder throughout the cabin that went right up my spine. Was able to track through the turn and get back into the lane, but instantly felt like the front right tire was going soft. Thankfully made it the last half mile into the carport just as the tire gave its last "hissssssss". (Interestingly, the TPM lamp never lit.)

I knew FIAT had cheaped out on US vehicles, leaving a scissor jack and lug wrench out entirely (I even had "pick up at 21mm lug wrench" on my to-do list since January) but... bad drivers, potholes, and road debris aren't known to wait patiently until you're ready.

No obvious cuts to the outer sidewall or tread. Had to let it sit overnight holding out hope that the impact force alone just unseated the bead. Not quite.

Hoping a wheel shop can true it, resurface, and be good to go. I've always been a little leery of the concept of wheel repair, but I'm also assuming a replacement wheel from FIAT would be about the cost of a full set of aftermarket replacements. (and I do like the stock wheels)

·
Vendor
3,099 Posts
I am glad you are OK. I probably wouldn't repair the wheel, I am sure Classica wheels will be showing up soon in the classifieds. I know I have a set sitting at my house, but I can't sell them because they may or may not go with the car when I replace it with an Abarth.

Greg

·
Registered
476 Posts
There are three good Lusso wheels on a salvage yard someplace in Pennsylvania. But patients will get you one for a classica too for someone.

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
Can't see the pics to assess, but I've had some pretty nasty gouges taken out of alloy rims in the past.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The way this site handles attachments is so odd...

So the bead is fine, balance is OK too... turns out there was a very small (~2-3mm) puncture in the sidewall.

Were this 10k-20k more miles down the road, might be a nice excuse for an upgraded wheel/tire package... but at 3k miles... I really just want to get back on the road ASAP.

The real problem is that no one anywhere has ever heard of the Classica's stock tires. It looks like the Yokohama Advan Sport V105 is pretty much exclusive to the 124. Two tire shops near me that I've had great luck with getting hard to find tires in the past (Michelin Pilot AS3's for a 500 Abarth, in particular) told me their Yokohama distributor doesn't even have a part number for this Advan. They seem to only be available through Mopar.

Tire rack does have 'em, but after shipping, their price is the same as the dealer's MSRP... and I like my dealer, so hopefully that will be sorted out by mid-week. In the mean time, having a little wheel shop nearby take a stab at straightening and cosmetically evening out where the gouge is.

Hoping to be back on the road Thursday (just as the sun comes out for the first time in about two weeks)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
Wow....that's a **** of a thump that's obviously bent the rim rather than simply scraped or gouged it. No experience with getting anything like that fixed :(

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ouch! Sorry to hear, but I'm glad you are ok! I had a similar accident in a rental Hyundai down some windy roads and with a stupid driver cutting into my lane. Ended up replacing the whole rim (thank goodness for insurance).

·
Registered
476 Posts
they have them at tirerack.com you can have them shipped to who ever you want to have installed.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just putting my .02 cents in. My dealer offered me a Tire/Wheel protection plan when I purchased mine. Extra 1200 bucks but for the next 5 years, I blow out a tire, bend/crack/curb check or otherwise damage a rim, pick up a nail, etc; As long as the tire is not worn beyond 3/32, they replace either or both if needed for a $50 deductible. Not a bad insurance policy to have considering the sink hole impersonating pot holes we get around here. Have the same policy on my Harley.

·
Registered
575 Posts
This can definitely be repaired by a wheel shop and you'd really have nothing to worry about. The bend isn't that bad at all, it's actually alright. Now what some people may try to convince you to do is just hammer it slightly straight and re-balance but you'll have a lot of weights and it's just not the right way to do it. But a wheel shop should be able to do that no problem.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interestingly, the wheel shop I took it to (seemed pretty well regarded with a lot of dealer referrals) says that this particular wheel is unable to be repaired on either of their rigs... the center hole is too small.

So at this point, just waiting to hear back from the dealer tomorrow when the tire comes in (yes, as I said before, Tire Rack stocks 'em, but after shipping it's a bit cheaper to go with the dealer - and I like my dealer). They'll give it a load force balance and we'll take it from there. If it's usable as-is... we'll do that for now.

Really just want 20k or so out of the stock setup before jumping into a new wheel/tire package. It's the principle of it all. :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Really just want 20k or so out of the stock setup before jumping into a new wheel/tire package. It's the principle of it all. :)
I get that. Should work Ok from the looks of it. I blew a low profile tire on a VW Golf on an "invisible" curb in Poulsbo. The wheel took a blow about like yours, and the guys at Les Schwab advised not to worry about it. It was balanced with a replacement tire and has been fine since. Where in W.WA are you?

·
Registered
476 Posts
that sucks that they can't fix it. my other half buggered up a set of AMG wheels on their new Mercedes and i was just glad they could be machined and painted like nothing ever happened, did not want to find out how much one of those is.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My dealer charged $700 for 5 year wheel and tire protection. It was the only extra warranty I purchased. They will repair or replace wheel/tire when the inevitable happens!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Success... Mopar got the tire to the dealer in two days, road force balancing looked good, popped the wheel on last night and took it for a spin, even gave it a much needed wash. Rumor has it the sun might make a little bit of an appearance today... fingers crossed - been an exceedingly gray winter.

Where in W.WA are you?
Unincorporated King Co, south of North Bend, basically right up against Rattlesnake Ledge.

·
Registered
958 Posts
If anyone is interested, I still have a set of Lusso wheels and tires that I am willing to sell for $400 plus shipping. The tires have just over 10K miles on them and 75% tread left.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Success... Mopar got the tire to the dealer in two days, road force balancing looked good, popped the wheel on last night and took it for a spin, even gave it a much needed wash. Rumor has it the sun might make a little bit of an appearance today... fingers crossed - been an exceedingly gray winter.

Unincorporated King Co, south of North Bend, basically right up against Rattlesnake Ledge.
That is good news. You'll never notice that wheel again.

This was the wettest, coldest, and most miserable Northwest winter I've experienced. It will be a breakout Spring, if all goes well. I've seen tops down today on the Olympic Peninsula.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts