Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Careful car washing is something I've always known about but rarely performed on the cars of my past. Dirty? Leave it in the rain! Wash it? Dish soap works great!

Well, with my Via I'm doing things better. Real car wash soap. Microfiber wash mitt and drying towels. 2 buckets- soapy water and mitt rinse (with a hose rinse before going into the rinse bucket). And because my dealer was using it for daily wipe down of the showroom cars, a final spray and wipe of 3M Quick Wax.
http://3mauto.com/products/basic-car-care/3m-quick-wax-39034-16-ounce.html Find just about anywhere.

After the final rinse of the car, I use my electric leaf blower to knock most of the water from the body (yeah, I put on a good show for my neighbors), leaving it a bit damp. Then I spray and wipe section by section (painted panels only) with the Quick Wax. Because the car is still damp, I'll go through 2-3 MF towels in the process, but man, does she look good afterward! High gloss with a surface as slick as wet ice. Even bugs wash off the front end easier at wash time because of the previous spray.

Now, I'm no car detailing expert, but if your car washing history has been similar to mine, you will be pleased with the results of similar efforts. If I recall the label, this spray consists of isopropyl alcohol and carnuba wax, that's about it.

I'm sold. Whether this product or something similar, this is my protocol for now to keep her looking like a gem. I almost don't want to take her in the road!

Steve.

Reactions: hefbadr

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, photos and product info

Here are a few photos of my shiny Via, lookin' all sleek and slippery after her bath and 3M Quick Wax application. (Label warning, do not apply to hot surfaces, or while in the sunshine.) No, I am no endorsing the product. It's just what I saw the dealer use on their showroom Fiats and Alfas, and it's less than $15 a bottle, so I bought it at a local auto parts store, and it is effective for my needs. Take that for what it's worth.

Three main ingredients of the 3M Quick Wax, according to page 2 of the MSDS for the product:
60-100% water*
0.1-1% carnuba wax*
0.1-1% isopropyl alcohol*
And micro-percentages of a couple other chemicals
(*= trade secret percentages)
MSDS- http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=SSSSSuUn_zu8l00xMxm9n82emv70k17zHvu9lxtD7SSSSSS--
So the stuff is over 97% water, and less than 3% other stuff, but it works.

Well, whatever... no more than 1% wax in the product but it sure seems effective. When waxing any product (car hood or dining room table), properly worked, nearly every bit of wax applied is removed with proper buffing, but that is an entirely different topic of discussion you can research on your own. The car is as slick as snot on a doorknob (or rather car door handle) after application. No, I'm sure it is nowhere near a substitute for a proper polishing and waxing, but it's as good as I'm gonna get it! And it looks darn fine for little effort.

As an aside, being quite familiar with carnuba wax from woodworking, I was curious how carnuba wax, a natural wax that is as hard as a rock with about a 180 F degree melting point, is held in suspension in a water and alcohol solution. As should be expected, Google has the answer to all of life questions. They whip up a batch of iso/wax as a superhydrophobic emulsion. (That doesn't quite sound like an ice cream topping.) Better living through chemical engineering! It does not state that is how 3M made this product, but it would be a logical guess.
https://www.researchgate.net/public...lf_emulsifying_carnauba_wax-alcohol_emulsions

Steve.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts